“Great location - nice touches” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202   |
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location - nice touches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Metro is perfectly located for a weekend away in Milwaukee. Rooms are very large, filled with amenities and the staff is most attentive. Fitness centre falls a little short but this can be overcome by using the free rental bikes!

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We needed to get out of town and Milwaukee was an easy 4 hour drive. Hotel Metro was well situated geographically to enjoy what downtown Milwaukee has to offer. Biggest problem was cold rainy weather and downtown in April was surprisingly slow even so. Nevertheless we had a good time. The hotel is clean, staff was friendly and helpful, laid back. I would say the rooms are more eclectic than functional but interesting. Very small workout room and we wouldn't have used it but it wasn't nice enough to run outside. I would stay here again, but I would try hard to come at a time when there is more happening downtown and the weather is better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here for my husband's conference. I was very impressed. The room was very comfortable and clean (nice duvet cover on the bed) and the bathroom was modern. We stayed in a suite and the sitting area was very nice too. My favorite part was the rooftop access. There is a nice sitting area on the roof and we spend quite a bit of time up there --each time we were the only ones up there so it was very private. The staff was good; our stay included free valet parking and free to order breakfast each morning too. Good location. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: The suite option was very roomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is well located in downtown Milwaukee. The suites we were given were functional if not particularly attractive. The dining room was quite good for a hotel. The missing link is service. Our first set of reservations were never recorded. When I did not receive an e-mail confirmation, I called again. There was no record of my reservation. I made a second set of reservations and received an incorrect confirmation. On my third attempt, I finally generated a correct confirmation. I also requested an early check in.
When I arrived, there were further mistakes at the hotel inconsistent with my reservation.We finally resolved that. I was told for early check in, an additional fee was charged. I was not told that on any of my calls for reservation.
We finally did receive a room key several hours after we arrived. We discovered two deficiencies in the room invovling the telephone and defective lamps. We were told they would be fixed within an hour. Our other family members arrived and we toured several child friendly attractions in Milwaukee. We returned near dinner time and discovered neither the phone or lighting issue had been addressed.
I had a sense that no one was really focused on the customers. This could be a very good hotel. Right now, it is mediocre at best.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just stayed at Metro on the evening of the 8th. I am local to the area, but had a very late Annual night out planned with business clients and always rent a room to avoid driving.
I ordinarily get a room at the Pfister, but thought I'd try Metro.
-Pulled up to the valet, pleasant, polite, really great guy. Good start!
-Checked in at 1:30, room was ready! Yay! Great staff. Pleasant and helpful.
-"Spa Room" was a clean, comfortable room...had a large tub in the middle of it. I think that is the reference to "spa" because there wasn't anything else to illustrate that title. Nice Room. I was content.
--Left the hotel for a really late night. Didn't get back until 2am. That's ok! I was going to sleep in! I was in the relaxing "spa room"...after all, surely I will rest well and peacefully! NO.
--I woke up to a horrifying shake of the bed. Over and over...at an extremely early hour. The bed was literally SHAKING AND MOVING. With very loud bangs. Freaked out, I reached for the phone to call the front desk...The phone did not work. They either never bothered to activate it when I checked in, or it was broken. I was exhausted, and needed to sleep, but the banging continued. Apparently they were working on something in whatever room was located just under mine. What on EARTH? What kind of hotel does that without checking first to see if there are guests above?

I tried in vain to get back to sleep but the banging continued. Finally, I just got up and left the hotel. Really irritated that I paid for a "spa room" which indicates some sort of tranquil atmosphere and got an earthquake...a SHAKING BED! and loud noises. Oh, and the elevators were really loud as well. I DID tell the nice woman at the front desk about the situation when I checked out. She looked surprised and was very apologetic but that was it. Just let me walk off unhappy.

Sorry Metro, you've got a lot of good things going for you but that was an idiotic move. Back to Pfister next year. QUIET. 3 stars for the nice people who greeted me on the first day. That's all I've got and I won't go back.

Room Tip: Don't expect quiet in a spa room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went back to celebrate our first year anniversary. Milwaukee has great restaurants and we wanted to eat at Benelux and Balzacs. I forgot to check my own review and booked the same room. Yes it's my fault but the bad memories had been overshadowed by the good times on the honeymoon.

The second stay was the nail in the coffin for this place.

Pros
Courteous valet staff
Excellent in room hot tub
Keurig Coffee
Fireplace
Location location location
Extremely Comfortable Bed -

Cons
-Had to repair toilet handle
-Bathroom sink still clogs up, yes this was a problem year before
-HVAC is loud and didn't work very well, again
-Dirty windows

-Superficially nice customer service. I had called to request some fanfare for our anniversary- leave note for the wife, etc, request some chocolates,make the return special - (I had said I would pay whatever was needed,) the response - nothing, yes, hard to believe. Here is the suggestion for Hotel Metro management: A customer calls and says, "Hey, I'm coming back to your hotel to try it again and celebrate our 1 year.". Manager, front desk staff, take piece of paper, write note, congratulations on your 1 year and welcome back. Simple, added bonus, charge customer 5$- 20$ for some chocolate, especially when they told you that's what they wanted.

-Last nuisance room service double charged us, I was told I needed to go and find the restaurant manager and resolve the issue. Very confusing request given that I never went to the restaurant. Anyway it was fixed but kind of a good example about the lack of real concern.

Unfortunately I must now suggest that folks pick another place to stay until they resolve some of their core issues. The floor we stayed on is also under renovation and that was not noted anywhere or spoken of prior to booking.

Room Tip: Avoid 603, unless you want a clogging sink, noisy hvac, need to fix toilet,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Some parts of this hotel are excellent: the in-room hot tub, the bathroom vanity, the slide-door for the bathroom, the robes, the bed, and art decor. It was nice sitting in front of the fireplace. I loved the retro look, as well as the 7th floor hot tub. However, there are some bad points. The tile around the top of the hot tub is losing pieces of the grout (Rm. 601), the ceiling needs to be repainted or remodeled, the curtains are outdated and flimsy, and the carpet felt a bit dirty. In addition, the hotel's hot tub is very hot - you'll only be able to sit in it for about 10 minutes before you're overheated. However, if you get out and sit on the window-side ledge (which is visible to the apartments across the street) with only your legs in, the vents overhead will cool you down for some more hot-tubing. If these things were fixed, I would give this hotel 4 stars.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others, but warn them that it has good points and bad points. If they're a laid-back friend, I think they would really enjoy the hotel and its art deco retro look.

I would have loved a swimming pool, and to be able to sit in the hotel's hot tub longer,, and to have deserts on the after-10pm room service.

Room Tip: Room 601 is great if you like to soak in a hotel's hot tub, since this hotel's hot tub is on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
SLLMadison - Your review on your current stay at Hotel Metro is appreciated! All our our guest suites have "seeping tubs" and /or jetted tubs with a seperate stand up shower - that makes us one of the most unique hotel rooms in Milwaukee! I have addressed the issue of grout and the temperature of our Salt Water Hot Tub up on our 7th floor with our director of engineering (we run the temperature between 102 - 104 degrees which may seem warm due to the enclosed area versus an outside venue or large "pool" area).
Our 24-hour menu is also being revised for our in-room hotel guests, and it will include dessert options as well as many other exciting menu items.
Thank you again for your review and please contact us for your overnight accommodations while traveling to downtown Milwaukee.
Kris Willis

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!