“Wish it was all good, but it wasn't.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202   |
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wish it was all good, but it wasn't.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just stayed at Metro on the evening of the 8th. I am local to the area, but had a very late Annual night out planned with business clients and always rent a room to avoid driving.
I ordinarily get a room at the Pfister, but thought I'd try Metro.
-Pulled up to the valet, pleasant, polite, really great guy. Good start!
-Checked in at 1:30, room was ready! Yay! Great staff. Pleasant and helpful.
-"Spa Room" was a clean, comfortable room...had a large tub in the middle of it. I think that is the reference to "spa" because there wasn't anything else to illustrate that title. Nice Room. I was content.
--Left the hotel for a really late night. Didn't get back until 2am. That's ok! I was going to sleep in! I was in the relaxing "spa room"...after all, surely I will rest well and peacefully! NO.
--I woke up to a horrifying shake of the bed. Over and over...at an extremely early hour. The bed was literally SHAKING AND MOVING. With very loud bangs. Freaked out, I reached for the phone to call the front desk...The phone did not work. They either never bothered to activate it when I checked in, or it was broken. I was exhausted, and needed to sleep, but the banging continued. Apparently they were working on something in whatever room was located just under mine. What on EARTH? What kind of hotel does that without checking first to see if there are guests above?

I tried in vain to get back to sleep but the banging continued. Finally, I just got up and left the hotel. Really irritated that I paid for a "spa room" which indicates some sort of tranquil atmosphere and got an earthquake...a SHAKING BED! and loud noises. Oh, and the elevators were really loud as well. I DID tell the nice woman at the front desk about the situation when I checked out. She looked surprised and was very apologetic but that was it. Just let me walk off unhappy.

Sorry Metro, you've got a lot of good things going for you but that was an idiotic move. Back to Pfister next year. QUIET. 3 stars for the nice people who greeted me on the first day. That's all I've got and I won't go back.

Room Tip: Don't expect quiet in a spa room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went back to celebrate our first year anniversary. Milwaukee has great restaurants and we wanted to eat at Benelux and Balzacs. I forgot to check my own review and booked the same room. Yes it's my fault but the bad memories had been overshadowed by the good times on the honeymoon.

The second stay was the nail in the coffin for this place.

Pros
Courteous valet staff
Excellent in room hot tub
Keurig Coffee
Fireplace
Location location location
Extremely Comfortable Bed -

Cons
-Had to repair toilet handle
-Bathroom sink still clogs up, yes this was a problem year before
-HVAC is loud and didn't work very well, again
-Dirty windows

-Superficially nice customer service. I had called to request some fanfare for our anniversary- leave note for the wife, etc, request some chocolates,make the return special - (I had said I would pay whatever was needed,) the response - nothing, yes, hard to believe. Here is the suggestion for Hotel Metro management: A customer calls and says, "Hey, I'm coming back to your hotel to try it again and celebrate our 1 year.". Manager, front desk staff, take piece of paper, write note, congratulations on your 1 year and welcome back. Simple, added bonus, charge customer 5$- 20$ for some chocolate, especially when they told you that's what they wanted.

-Last nuisance room service double charged us, I was told I needed to go and find the restaurant manager and resolve the issue. Very confusing request given that I never went to the restaurant. Anyway it was fixed but kind of a good example about the lack of real concern.

Unfortunately I must now suggest that folks pick another place to stay until they resolve some of their core issues. The floor we stayed on is also under renovation and that was not noted anywhere or spoken of prior to booking.

Room Tip: Avoid 603, unless you want a clogging sink, noisy hvac, need to fix toilet,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Some parts of this hotel are excellent: the in-room hot tub, the bathroom vanity, the slide-door for the bathroom, the robes, the bed, and art decor. It was nice sitting in front of the fireplace. I loved the retro look, as well as the 7th floor hot tub. However, there are some bad points. The tile around the top of the hot tub is losing pieces of the grout (Rm. 601), the ceiling needs to be repainted or remodeled, the curtains are outdated and flimsy, and the carpet felt a bit dirty. In addition, the hotel's hot tub is very hot - you'll only be able to sit in it for about 10 minutes before you're overheated. However, if you get out and sit on the window-side ledge (which is visible to the apartments across the street) with only your legs in, the vents overhead will cool you down for some more hot-tubing. If these things were fixed, I would give this hotel 4 stars.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to others, but warn them that it has good points and bad points. If they're a laid-back friend, I think they would really enjoy the hotel and its art deco retro look.

I would have loved a swimming pool, and to be able to sit in the hotel's hot tub longer,, and to have deserts on the after-10pm room service.

Room Tip: Room 601 is great if you like to soak in a hotel's hot tub, since this hotel's hot tub is on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
SLLMadison - Your review on your current stay at Hotel Metro is appreciated! All our our guest suites have "seeping tubs" and /or jetted tubs with a seperate stand up shower - that makes us one of the most unique hotel rooms in Milwaukee! I have addressed the issue of grout and the temperature of our Salt Water Hot Tub up on our 7th floor with our director of engineering (we run the temperature between 102 - 104 degrees which may seem warm due to the enclosed area versus an outside venue or large "pool" area).
Our 24-hour menu is also being revised for our in-room hotel guests, and it will include dessert options as well as many other exciting menu items.
Thank you again for your review and please contact us for your overnight accommodations while traveling to downtown Milwaukee.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wonderful stay at Hotel Metro in downtown Milwaukee.
When we first checked in, our room was totally retro and cool, but was super noisy from the heating system (loud clanking), so the staff upgraded our room immediately to a spa suite. This room was a hypoallergenic room with air purifier and hypoallergenic sheets and bedding. I would stay in this type of room again, I felt great the next day.

The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

Valet parking (29$ overnight) was pricey but convenient. We were able to walk to the Historic Third ward from this hotel for Dinner and Breakfast which was a huge plus for us.

Room Tip: If your room is noisy from the heating system, ask for another room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you rmtphd_13 for your review of you recent stay at Hotel Metro in downtown Milwaukee. The hotel is located in the most ideal spots in downtown Milwaukee! Right between the East side and our amazing Third Ward district. We now have our bicycles available for guest(s) to use, complimentary, during the warmer months as well as our London Cab, which is also available complimentary on Friday and Saturday nights to take guest(s) to local venues/entertainment areas within 1 mile of the hotel.
Our "clanking" steam heat is being addressed by our new director in engineering as we are a Historic Hotel in Milwaukee and use the city's steam for heat during the colder months. It will be resolved for future, just FYI.
We hope you travel to Milwaukee for our upcoming sporting / festival / jazz in the park / art museum events and you book with us in our PURE room again! It is truly an amazing night's experience!
See you soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was relaxing and comfortable. The location was great, near quite a few nice restaurants, and in the hotel, the Zen on Seven bar and hot tub is a beautiful getaway.

• Stayed April 2013
Witraveler90 - Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor! Our Rockstar employees are truly examples of hospitality "awesome-ness!" I will make sure we share your comments with the entire team!
When making arrangements for your next visit to Milwaukee for business or pleasure, please let us know so we can personally say Hi and make your reservations with you directly.
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My cousin and I (and our husbands) decided to grab a night at a hotel downtown. We planned on cocktailing comfortably for a birthday night out on the town.

The rooms were very clean, the beds were SQUISHY AND SOOO COMFORTABLE, the bathrooms were large, the hotel was quiet, the bar/drinks/food downstairs were outstanding, there are tons of clubs/bars/delicious top-notch restaurants all within walking distance. Great valet, great staff.

I accidentally clicked 5 star on a swimming pool when, in fact, I am not sure if they have one because we did not go in one. I didn't want to put one star if they did actually have a pool.

Room Tip: We had a two bed double room, there were separate rooms!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you AshleeZ for your review. We understand you have many choices when wanting to stay in downtown Milwaukee and thank you for choosing Hotel Metro!
We do not have a pool - but out salt water hot tub is pretty outstanding! I will also make sure our Super Star valet team and staff get your compliments as we do strive for excellent guest service; and that helps when we love what we do.
We hope to see you soon, if not for an overnight for dinner and/or cocktails in METRO!!
Bettendorf, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Room was nice, the London Taxi Cab was a fun experience and the valet staff was excellent. Location is great easily able to walk to several locations. Did not get to see the rooftop, maybe next time. Lounge area was nice had a sax and piano band, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kris_Willis, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you beerad007 for your response on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear you enjoyed and were able to experience many of our outstanding guest service amenities, and I have to say our valet team are all Super Stars! Our London Cab worked the streets of London then found a home with us at Hotel Metro and we too find it very special!
Our rooftop Zen on Seven with guest amenities and catering space is open each day to hotel guests to use our exercise room, salt water hot tub or sauna which overlook the beautiful Milwaukee skyline. Then on Monday, May 6th our rooftop bar and outside/inside seating area will be open to the public from 5p-12midnight every Monday, for drinks and light appetizers (til 9p) and it is just amazing to be out there! With a waterfall feature, lighting, great seating areas - you cannot go wrong with a Sangria and watching the stars pop over the Milwaukee neighboring buildings!
We look forward to having you stay with us in the very near future and enjoying the summer weather from our 7th floor Zen on Seven or taking a stroll to our Great Lake 4-blocks away.
Kris Willis, General Manager

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!