“luxury, class, and plenty of space” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202   |
Ranked #20 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Madison, Wisconsin
“luxury, class, and plenty of space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Metro for a weekend in Oct. Got a great special that included tickets to the MIlwaukee art museum, 1 night free parking, and a coupon for $50.00 off one of their restaurants. Plus we used a AAA discount to get even more off the room. All that helped a lot because otherwise places like the Metro are out of our budget and we never would have seen this very cool place.
All rooms are suites and are cleverly designed to make you feel like you actually have a little kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bath. The special touches, like really nice linens and jacuzzis added even more. The hotel staff, parking attendants, and cab driver were great. We had a really good meal in their restaurant on Friday (great service) and enjoyed the bar on Sat. night. We felt very spoiled the whole time we were there. And don't forget to bring a swimsuit (like we did); the spa is lovely. And the rooftop bar/garden is not to be missed.
I read the review and could see where that would be a problem, especially on the street side, although we were on the street side but 6 floors up and we didn't hear anything. We are quiet travellers and I always request the quietest room possible both when making the reservation and checking in, and I think if you do that you will be fine.
I hear they also have a great Sunday breakfast but we headed one block over to the Pfister for brunch. It's a must do just to be in that place.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for it; they will accomodate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

It's 2:30 am as I'm writing this. I've been trying to sleep since midnight.. The noise from the bar and the honking car horns is unbearable. This is a nice hotel. Full of amenities and clean. The staff is efficient and attentive but if you stay here make sure you ask for a room away from the street. Maybe things will die down around 4am and I can get some sleep???? I would have given a higher rating but for the noise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Harshaw, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Hotel Metro Milwaukee has it all! Those of you who prefer relationships with non-chain hotels will enjoy this sleek yet warm Art Deco beauty which is walking distance from the Art Museum and Cathedral Square. And the complimentary London Cab (driven by the charming and knowledgeable Manny) puts everything else within reach. As in many small hotels, the staff here is the best - very proud of their property, knowledgable about her history and amenities, and ready and able to serve.

We stayed in a standard King Suite which was comfortable and large, with a soaking tub and separate shower. I did not see the hot tub fireplace suites, but I can see this would be a great place for a special anniverasry or honeymoon The lobby is warm and inviting - the fireplace is grand on a winter day. The bar is a bit noisy. Fridays are $5 martinis and 1/2 price appetizers, but the food and drink were only so so (so so glad I didn't pay full price).

Next time I visit Milwaukee, Hotel Metro will be my GoTo place.

• Stayed November 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very nice place to stay with spacious clean rooms. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We were there for our anniversary and the concierge, Kathrine, added extra special touches in the room and at our dinner celebration (at a different restaurant) to make the stay extra special. Manny, the London Taxi Cab shuttle driver was very informative and always on time.

Only negative is that there was some water damage to different spots in the ceiling that could have used some cosmetic work, providing a fresher positive feeling to the room. Did have some "register banging" in the night when the heat was working. Otherwise, well appointed clean room.

Room Tip: 6th floor was very quite and closer to exercise room, zen garden and hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Middleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

2nd time my wife and I have stayed at the Metro. Comfy bed, plenty of room, nice seating options. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The on site restaurant had reasonably priced breakfasts to start the day.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Metro on a whim. We called up a days before our trip to Milwaukee and had no preconceived ideas about this cool little Art Deco hotel. My first contact was with Miguel and he bent over backwards for us! (Even helping me to mail back a box of cheese half way across the country!) Our room was outstanding and the amenities, such as the roof top bar and spa, are lovely. The location was great as well. The best part of our stay was the service. I have stayed at hundreds of 4 and 5 star establishments and this funky little hotel was every bit as good, if not better, than anything I have experienced. Thanks to Miguel and the rest of the crew. Sorry Pfister... but we will definitely be back for an extended stay at Hotel Metro!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong. If you get a chance to stay in the penthouse grab it!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
414Allison, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you Eric A for your awesome review of Hotel Metro on TripAdvisor!
Our team at the hotel is committed to excellent guest service, but we also believe we have many Super Stars that were just born with greatness, and you happen to have Miguel take care of you!
I will be passing along your comments to the team so they know their actions are making a positive difference, and so that we keep striving for being the best in all we have to offer and serve.
We look forward to having you as our guest again in the very near future.
Warm regards,
Kris Willis
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel Metro in Old Milwaukee is a restyled boutique hotel that is simply amazing. The upgrades to the hotel in an art deco style leave one almost breathless at how beautiful and imaginative their hotel rooms are. The rooms are very large and have wonderful curving walls and imaginative use of glass and room decor. As a frequent buisness traveller, I find almost every hotel I stay in looks almost exactly the same so much so that it is depressing to walk into the room and find it a clone of every other hotel room in every other city in America. I was simply dumbfounded when I walked into my room at the Hotel Metro and saw how beautifully it was decorated and designed. Imaginative use of space, curving walls and glass work and other features made my stay there a pleasure. The staff were extremely gracious and constantly asked how I was enjoying the hotel and took the time to let me know about the hotel's amenities. And, best of all, the nightly rate for the hotel was well in keeping with other hotel rates.

Room Tip: The higher you are above the street the less street noise there is in your room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you karaswin for your review of Hotel Metro - Hotel Metro opened in 1998 as a hotel re-styled from an office building that was built in 1937! The Art Deco feel and style of the hotel reflects through the high ceilings and curvature found throughout the building; that is why all of our guest suites are 485+ square feet and they all offer soaking tubs or jetted tubs with stand up showers.
We use sustainable products or natural materials, or as much as possible through the glass(as you noted), carpet, bamboo and cork flooring, black walnut and more. The building was also the first to have air conditioning and runs off steam heat that comes through radiators, which is part of our green aspect - so we have the motion and sensored AC/Heat and lighting in each suite as well.
Our prime downtown Milwaukee location is close to the Arts Museum, Theater, BMO Center, Public Market (shopping / restaurant area), lakefront and entertainment area. We also offer Metro cruisers (bicycles) so that you can ride around town in great weather as well as a bio-deisel London Cab that shuttles Fri/Sat nights! More green aspects of Hotel Metro!
We hope your visit again to explore and enjoy the amenities and service that we believe outperforms many downtown hotels!
Warm regards,
Kris Willis

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!