“What service!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Tucson, Arizona
“What service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Metro on a whim. We called up a days before our trip to Milwaukee and had no preconceived ideas about this cool little Art Deco hotel. My first contact was with Miguel and he bent over backwards for us! (Even helping me to mail back a box of cheese half way across the country!) Our room was outstanding and the amenities, such as the roof top bar and spa, are lovely. The location was great as well. The best part of our stay was the service. I have stayed at hundreds of 4 and 5 star establishments and this funky little hotel was every bit as good, if not better, than anything I have experienced. Thanks to Miguel and the rest of the crew. Sorry Pfister... but we will definitely be back for an extended stay at Hotel Metro!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong. If you get a chance to stay in the penthouse grab it!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
414Allison, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you Eric A for your awesome review of Hotel Metro on TripAdvisor!
Our team at the hotel is committed to excellent guest service, but we also believe we have many Super Stars that were just born with greatness, and you happen to have Miguel take care of you!
I will be passing along your comments to the team so they know their actions are making a positive difference, and so that we keep striving for being the best in all we have to offer and serve.
We look forward to having you as our guest again in the very near future.

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel Metro in Old Milwaukee is a restyled boutique hotel that is simply amazing. The upgrades to the hotel in an art deco style leave one almost breathless at how beautiful and imaginative their hotel rooms are. The rooms are very large and have wonderful curving walls and imaginative use of glass and room decor. As a frequent buisness traveller, I find almost every hotel I stay in looks almost exactly the same so much so that it is depressing to walk into the room and find it a clone of every other hotel room in every other city in America. I was simply dumbfounded when I walked into my room at the Hotel Metro and saw how beautifully it was decorated and designed. Imaginative use of space, curving walls and glass work and other features made my stay there a pleasure. The staff were extremely gracious and constantly asked how I was enjoying the hotel and took the time to let me know about the hotel's amenities. And, best of all, the nightly rate for the hotel was well in keeping with other hotel rates.

Room Tip: The higher you are above the street the less street noise there is in your room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you karaswin for your review of Hotel Metro - Hotel Metro opened in 1998 as a hotel re-styled from an office building that was built in 1937! The Art Deco feel and style of the hotel reflects through the high ceilings and curvature found throughout the building; that is why all of our guest suites are 485+ square feet and they all offer soaking tubs or jetted tubs with stand up showers.
We use sustainable products or natural materials, or as much as possible through the glass(as you noted), carpet, bamboo and cork flooring, black walnut and more. The building was also the first to have air conditioning and runs off steam heat that comes through radiators, which is part of our green aspect - so we have the motion and sensored AC/Heat and lighting in each suite as well.
Our prime downtown Milwaukee location is close to the Arts Museum, Theater, BMO Center, Public Market (shopping / restaurant area), lakefront and entertainment area. We also offer Metro cruisers (bicycles) so that you can ride around town in great weather as well as a bio-deisel London Cab that shuttles Fri/Sat nights! More green aspects of Hotel Metro!
We hope your visit again to explore and enjoy the amenities and service that we believe outperforms many downtown hotels!
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very nice hotel, great staff, but some oddities. There is valet parking, but if you want your car parked in the garage rather than in the alley next to the dumpsters (either way costs the same), you have to ask. Also, the hotel is supposedly "green"...but we had to keep our air conditioner running constantly to counteract the heat radiating from the old wall vents (it's an old building). And if you're there on a Friday or Saturday night, expect to hear lots of noise outside around bar time.

The room is very comfortable, though, with a nice bed and shower. There's free wi-fi, which is how every hotel should be but so few are. We had a spa suite with a very nice hot tub. Careful with your water glass on the glass countertop, though; when it gets wet, it sticks, and it's way too easy to pick it up too hard and find yourself surrounded by shards as it drops to the slate floor.

We've stayed here more than once and always have only minor complaints, but it does seem like there's always something. It is a good location, though, and reasonably priced. It's within walking distance of the Public Market, Water Street, the art museum, etc.

Room Tip: A higher floor and/or not facing the street should cut down on the noise from the bar time crowd.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel has a very New York feel. The rooms are very unique. The desserts are fabulous. The martini bar is incredible. Very near lots of things to do in downtown. Very relaxing stay, wonderful robes in your room to lounge in. We had theater tickets, the hotel was with in walking distance so we were able to have cocktails before and after.

• Stayed November 2011
414Allison, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Welcome Mike0069! Thank you for the review on Tripadvisor for the outstanding stay you had with us recently!
Our Friday $5 Martini's night is so popular with our guests and locals and I am glad you took advantage before and after the theater! The next time you stay, sign up for our London Cab to take you to the theater, it is quit a memorable experience!
We hope to see you again soon for another overnight and theater performance! (we always have a dessert of choice monthly :) ! )
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

After much research, my wife & I decided to stay at the Hotel Metro for our wedding anniversary. We really enjoyed our stay there. We booked a master king fireplace suite which was on the corner of the 5th floor. The room was beyond our expectations. The fireplace was huge, the views from the 5th floor were great, the bathroom was very contemporary and clean, and the bedroom, basically completely separate from the fireplace area, was great as well with it's own flatscreen TV.
The valet was very convenient, and for $25 it's as much as you'd pay to park overnight at any nearby parking lot. They also had a free Metro "cab" if we wanted to take us anywhere in downtown Milwaukee. We didn't use it, but it was nice to know it was available.

The only complaint about the room was HBO, and several other HD channels did not come in; it simply went to "No signal" when we chose it. Also, the wi-fi is painfully slow. I'm glad I did most of my research on the internet before we got there.

The hotel restaurant is nicely decorated, but is way overpriced, at least for breakfast. I'm kind of glad it was because we found an amazing little breakfast place just a 5 minute drive north of the hotel.

The room we stayed in costs quite a bit more than the standard room, but for special occasions it is definitely worth it. We plan on staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Anniversary KarlChicago_IL!!!
Thank you for choosing Hotel Metro as your celebration overnight while visiting Milwaukee!
Your comments are extremely important to us and I wanted you to know that we are updating our High Speed Wireless Connection with Time Warner as I type this. We are updating to the fiber optic connections which will be super fast and also include our TV stations shortly.
Our Master Suite Firelplaces are amazing - with over 550 square feet of space it's like a new room with every 15 steps!
We look forward to you staying with us again while visiting the Milwaukee area and remember to sign up for our London Cab to take you around Milwaukee!
kenosha,wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I went for our anniversary and were very impressed. When we pulled up to the hotel were immediately greeted by the bellman Max who proceeded to show us when to go to check in. We arrived an hour before check in and were pleasantly surprised to get right in our room. We stayed in the king jazcuzzi suite and it was beautiful. It was a lot bigger than most rooms and had two chairs so we can sit and have our champagne. That night they had turn down service and it had a piece of chocolate for us. It was a very special surprise. Thanks to the wonderful staff and beautiful room we had a awesome anniversary and will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Anniversary Swimgirl16!
Thank you for taking the time to write the awesome review on TripAdvisor!
We are glad you chose Hotel Metro to celebrate your Anniversary! We understand you have many choices when traveling to Milwaukee and are excited to read you enjoyed our many great amenities here on the property.
We hope to see you before your next Anniversary...possibly a Birthday?! Thank you again!
Warm Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

October 20. 2012 I stayed in room 210 at Hotel Metro in Milwaukee. Everything seemed fine until I woke in the morning and felt a bug bite on my leg. I was suspicious so I checked the box spring, and saw visible black dots indicating bed bugs. I got home and found three clusters of bed bug bites on my leg. I notified the hotel and emailed them pictures of the bites. I am now waiting to hear back from the hotel manager. I've thrown out my suitcases and am washing everything in hot water/hot dryer. I am very concerned about the possibility of bringing the bed bugs home with me!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!