“Good, but some oddities” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Metro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 East Mason Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202   |
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good, but some oddities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very nice hotel, great staff, but some oddities. There is valet parking, but if you want your car parked in the garage rather than in the alley next to the dumpsters (either way costs the same), you have to ask. Also, the hotel is supposedly "green"...but we had to keep our air conditioner running constantly to counteract the heat radiating from the old wall vents (it's an old building). And if you're there on a Friday or Saturday night, expect to hear lots of noise outside around bar time.

The room is very comfortable, though, with a nice bed and shower. There's free wi-fi, which is how every hotel should be but so few are. We had a spa suite with a very nice hot tub. Careful with your water glass on the glass countertop, though; when it gets wet, it sticks, and it's way too easy to pick it up too hard and find yourself surrounded by shards as it drops to the slate floor.

We've stayed here more than once and always have only minor complaints, but it does seem like there's always something. It is a good location, though, and reasonably priced. It's within walking distance of the Public Market, Water Street, the art museum, etc.

Room Tip: A higher floor and/or not facing the street should cut down on the noise from the bar time crowd.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel has a very New York feel. The rooms are very unique. The desserts are fabulous. The martini bar is incredible. Very near lots of things to do in downtown. Very relaxing stay, wonderful robes in your room to lounge in. We had theater tickets, the hotel was with in walking distance so we were able to have cocktails before and after.

• Stayed November 2011
414Allison, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Welcome Mike0069! Thank you for the review on Tripadvisor for the outstanding stay you had with us recently!
Our Friday $5 Martini's night is so popular with our guests and locals and I am glad you took advantage before and after the theater! The next time you stay, sign up for our London Cab to take you to the theater, it is quit a memorable experience!
We hope to see you again soon for another overnight and theater performance! (we always have a dessert of choice monthly :) ! )
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

After much research, my wife & I decided to stay at the Hotel Metro for our wedding anniversary. We really enjoyed our stay there. We booked a master king fireplace suite which was on the corner of the 5th floor. The room was beyond our expectations. The fireplace was huge, the views from the 5th floor were great, the bathroom was very contemporary and clean, and the bedroom, basically completely separate from the fireplace area, was great as well with it's own flatscreen TV.
The valet was very convenient, and for $25 it's as much as you'd pay to park overnight at any nearby parking lot. They also had a free Metro "cab" if we wanted to take us anywhere in downtown Milwaukee. We didn't use it, but it was nice to know it was available.

The only complaint about the room was HBO, and several other HD channels did not come in; it simply went to "No signal" when we chose it. Also, the wi-fi is painfully slow. I'm glad I did most of my research on the internet before we got there.

The hotel restaurant is nicely decorated, but is way overpriced, at least for breakfast. I'm kind of glad it was because we found an amazing little breakfast place just a 5 minute drive north of the hotel.

The room we stayed in costs quite a bit more than the standard room, but for special occasions it is definitely worth it. We plan on staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Anniversary KarlChicago_IL!!!
Thank you for choosing Hotel Metro as your celebration overnight while visiting Milwaukee!
Your comments are extremely important to us and I wanted you to know that we are updating our High Speed Wireless Connection with Time Warner as I type this. We are updating to the fiber optic connections which will be super fast and also include our TV stations shortly.
Our Master Suite Firelplaces are amazing - with over 550 square feet of space it's like a new room with every 15 steps!
We look forward to you staying with us again while visiting the Milwaukee area and remember to sign up for our London Cab to take you around Milwaukee!
kenosha,wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I went for our anniversary and were very impressed. When we pulled up to the hotel were immediately greeted by the bellman Max who proceeded to show us when to go to check in. We arrived an hour before check in and were pleasantly surprised to get right in our room. We stayed in the king jazcuzzi suite and it was beautiful. It was a lot bigger than most rooms and had two chairs so we can sit and have our champagne. That night they had turn down service and it had a piece of chocolate for us. It was a very special surprise. Thanks to the wonderful staff and beautiful room we had a awesome anniversary and will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Anniversary Swimgirl16!
Thank you for taking the time to write the awesome review on TripAdvisor!
We are glad you chose Hotel Metro to celebrate your Anniversary! We understand you have many choices when traveling to Milwaukee and are excited to read you enjoyed our many great amenities here on the property.
We hope to see you before your next Anniversary...possibly a Birthday?! Thank you again!
Warm Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

October 20. 2012 I stayed in room 210 at Hotel Metro in Milwaukee. Everything seemed fine until I woke in the morning and felt a bug bite on my leg. I was suspicious so I checked the box spring, and saw visible black dots indicating bed bugs. I got home and found three clusters of bed bug bites on my leg. I notified the hotel and emailed them pictures of the bites. I am now waiting to hear back from the hotel manager. I've thrown out my suitcases and am washing everything in hot water/hot dryer. I am very concerned about the possibility of bringing the bed bugs home with me!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

All I can say is wow! The properties location, amenities and staff are fantastic. It is a small Art Deco hotel that truly offers high end service. The front desk is wonderful and can help give great advice about things to do in Milwaukee. I had a chance to use the hot tub and it has a great view of Milwaukee since the hot tub is located on the roof of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review Purdue27!

The Hotel Metro team is extremly dedicated to great customer service and I will be sharing your comments with them so they can continue to strive for that great response from our future guests!

Our Art Deco style is just awesome and we are glad you took advantage of our salt water hot tub on the 7th floor overlooking Milwaukee.

We look forward to having you stay with us while traveling to the Milwaukee area.

minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I booked a dog-friendly room in Milwaukee for my birthday adventure ~ excited to see the city where Laverne and Shirley made their mark (I guess that gives away my age!) I must have mentioned when I booked the reservation that I was coming on my birthday. When I arrived each staff person slowed to wish me (ME!) a Happy Birthday, from the doorman to the front desk - it was almost funny how many people in a city I have never been to took the time to make my day brighter. As I was checking in the gracious gentleman asked what time they could drop a complimentary bottle of Champagne to my room. These touches will make me remember Hotel Metro always. The room was beautiful - and very large with an amazing soaking tub (remember, I am getting old!) and separate sleeping area. The staff we ever friendly. This is likely the best hotel experience I have ever had, and I am an avid traveler.

Room Tip: I chose the King Suite. Very large and comfortable. Fifth floor gives a great view! Don't miss t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
414Allison, General Manager at Hotel Metro, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Welcome TwoChow! Happy Belated Birthday!! Hotel Metro has had many great comments, but yours is just so awesome to read! We have many Super Stars here on our team and I will be sure to share your comments with them as well since it is guest(s) like you that keep us striving to be the best and to "knock the socks" off our visitors and guests daily. We cannot wait to have you and your 4-legged furry friend stay with us again and Wow you even with it not being your Birthday! Hope we see you soon!
Kris Willis, General Manager

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!