“Better than expected Hampton in Milwaukee.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
madison WI
“Better than expected Hampton in Milwaukee.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were going to a concert at the Riverside Theater. This hotel was a block away, w/reasonable rates. We got there, odd directions from parking ramp to lobby, so we were already hot & crabby when we checked in. They could not find our reservation even w/a confirmation number but were very apologetic & also upgraded us to a jacuzzi suite. Very nice room, oddly shaped halls but definitely pleasant/clean, and QUIET! They made sure to put us far away from the many basketball teems/kids that were staying there. Very convenient location, affordable, nice staff. Will definitely stay there when we go for a long weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night. It was ok. I've stayed at better Hampton Inns in my life. This one was ok. I was in a suite but would have preferred a room I think. The suite was very narrow and cramped. The building is so old so rooms are kind of strangely shaped. But overall no surprises. Just a typical Hampton. The fitness center is terrible (as are most at Hamptons). I paid for the Wisconsin Athletic Club which was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. It was a decent gym.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

We stayed here for my sons law school grauation and swearing in as a lawyer. The rooms were great and reasonably priced. We arrived 5 hrs before scheduled check-in aand asked them to check our bags. They told us that if we'd like they had some rooms ready and would check us in early. I did have a problem with 1 TVs remote (it needed a new battery), however the engineer was there in less tahn 5 minutes and he even offered a free movie. The last day we were there we had no hot water, when I called the front desk the staff was very helpful. They offered to change us to another floor but as it was the last day I declined. When I checked out they comped the room and also comped the parking. I later on received a call from guest services stating that they new I had a problem and was there anything else they could do to make it up. Thr treatment I receievd was what I would have expected in a much more expensive hotel. It seems that customer satisfaction is there #1 priority and every employee is empowered to make things happen. I would definetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Pembroke, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

We loved the location of this hotel. We walked out the door and in a few blocks we were at the Milwaukee River Walk. You can walk to shopping, (Grand Ave mall across the street!) restaurants, theaters, even a Walgreen's. If you don't want to walk, all of downtown is within a $10 cab fare.The bellman, Orlando, is the best bellman we have ever encountered. He went out of his way to help in whatever way he could. Professional, friendly, and competent! The rest of the staff aimed to please. What a difference that makes in a stay! The fitness center and pool were nice. We also went to the YMCA across the street for $5. The rooms were clean. Beds comfortable. Ask for a refrigerator/microwave. They'll bring one up for you. Breakfast staff kept the breakfast replenished even though the hotel was sold out and everyone came at the same time.
Rooms were not that large, but who spends time in their room when you are in a downtown like Milwaukee? The service and the location are what I will return for.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Visited this hotel last weekend and was SO pleased to find that it was very clean! The room, including the bathroom, tub, vanities, etc were spotless. I loved the setup of the room: small sitting room w/ TV, separate shower/toilet, vanity, and then the actual bedroom. It was far nicer than what I expected. The bed had a pristine down comforter on it. Pillows and mattress were very comfortable.

The continental breakfast was awesome: we went back for biscuits 3 times. Coffee, sausage, pancakes all very good and the server continued to make and serve more food even after breakfast was scheduled to end at 10am.

As for those reviews that say the hotel is noisy with street traffic, I think you have to expect a different environment when you are staying in a DOWNTOWN hotel in a MAJOR CITY. I didn't find the room to be noisy at all; we were only two flooors above ground level and were directly over Wisconsin Ave and I slept thru the night without waking up once.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

We chose Hampton Inn & Suites in Downtown Milwaukee this past April when we were looking at colleges. We chose a suite to stay in with our teenage son. Normally we will stay at Embassy Suites so in comparison, it was a step down but it was clean and quite and the beds very comfortable. There was an $11/night parking fee for garage attached to the hotel although when we got the bill, they had not charged us. I am a Gold with Hilton Hotels so that might have been the reason, I don't know. We walked across the street from the parking garage and ate at Rock Bottom Brewery that evening. Breakfast was respectable. They served scrambled eggs, sausage and the usually continental breakfast items. We had no complaints with this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

The Hampton Inn in downtown Milwaukee is within walking distance of many restaurants and attractions, including the plazas, parks, and civic buildings that are part of the City's revitalization. There is also a large shopping centre across the street from the hotel.

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in December 2008 while on a business trip. The Hampton offers good value (my room was less that $100 per night), and this includes the well-stocked breakfast, free drinks and appetizers in the lobby from 5pm to 7pm, and free wireless Internet. However, parking is additional and relatively pricey at $11/night.

The quality of my room furnishings was disappointing. The carpet was stained and should have been replaced a couple of years ago. The wheels on my desk chair were not functioning well, resulting in the chair scraping rather than rolling along the floor.

My room had a reasonable view across the street, but my business colleagues in other rooms were looking across a grungy lane at an abandoned building.

Another disappointment was no newspaper delivered to my door (something about needing to be "silver" or "gold" member), but USA Today was always available in the lobby. Front desk service was above average and reasonably friendly.

Overall, a reasonable hotel for a reasonable price.

• Liked — Location, Value
  • Disliked — Room furnishings
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!