“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Ishpeming, Michigan
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a concert at the Riverside Theatre. Previously, we have stayed here for events at the Bradley Center. Everything is within walking distance & it has an attached parking garage. You can't go wrong for location. The hotel is older but the rooms are clean and the staff is very helpful and friendly. It was under some construction on this trip but still a great stay. We look for this hotel first when going to downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Misty K, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Lee,

Thank you for your kind words and for your review. We look forward to serving your lodging needs during your next trip to Milwaukee!

Misty Kingsley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
appleton, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Because it is downtown there is no parking and the parking valet cost is $25, which I think is a bit much. The rooms are sub par, at best. Nothing too special. But the bed was super comfy! I have stayed at other Hamptons that were nicer and would stay at a Hampton.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Misty K, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Ricki,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others. We are currently finishing up a renovation of our guestrooms. Once the renovation crews leave, we are looking forward to taking the time to concentrate on all of the small details in our rooms that will really help them stand out. I apologize that we do not own a parking facility and therefore do not have a self-park option at the hotel. We have contracted valet parking service on behalf of our guests, and like many other hotels in Milwaukee, that is provided by a third party company. We feel that our $25/night valet parking rates are very competitive with the rates of other hotels, which are as follows: Faifield $23, Hilton $24 (self-park only), Hilton Garden Inn $24, Intercontinental $32, Hotel Metro $27, Marriott $33. I would also like to point out that our valet prices include service until 4pm on the check-out date, giving our guests the time to continue to explore the city on their last day with us. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to Milwaukee.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have never had a problem with any Hampton Inn except this one. First, the pool was under renovation and they said should have been working by our visit. Then, upon arrival, we went to our room and the floor was filthy, trash was not emptied and there was a bug crawling on the bed. We were given a new room which was acceptable. The next day we went to the Ballgame and when we returned at appx. 6:30, we found no housekeeping had come by. We did request new towels and did get them. No garbage was emptied, no shampoo nor soap. Luckily we had some from the night before. Breakfast was fine. Manager was kind of rude to my husband when he asked about housekeeping. I would not recommend this hotel until all the renovations are done and then it is doubtful we will stay there again. I will choose another hilton/hampton in Milwaukee. The front desk staff were very nice and understanding.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Julie R.,

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your visit to Milwaukee, however I am disappointed to hear that our hotel fell short of your expectations. As you are aware, we are currently undergoing a renovation of our guestrooms. The first room that you were placed in had just come back to us from the renovation crew and was 100% brand new. I apologize that my team missed a few spots in preparing that room for your arrival. I am happy that we were able to get you into a different room in a more acceptable condition. I apologize that your room did not receive housekeeping service and any confusion amongst the staff that resulted in this oversight. As a token of our apology for our shortcomings, the front desk staff refunded one night's lodging charges to you. I am delighted that you found the front desk staff to be accommodating and friendly, and that they were able to address your concerns and satisfy your needs. I really do hope that you give us another chance to serve you once our renovation is complete. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Hampton is centrally located which makes it easy walking to anywhere downtown. The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable, standard Hampton accommodations. The free breakfast is not the best quality, but it's free so you decide.

keinchitown,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for sharing your experience with others. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving your lodging needs during your next visit to Milwaukee.

Portage, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I would completely gut the hotel and update everything in it. I wanted to watch my movie on my Ipad but the internet connection was so slow I couldn't watch it. I couldn't connect my Iphone due to bad internet connections.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Aaron,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with our Wi-Fi. As part of our recent renovation, we will be updating our guest internet network, which will include new hardware and upgraded technology services, most notably greater bandwidth. We expect that these updates will resolve the concerns you mentioned. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Overall good experience but renovating so no pool/hot tub. Was notified day before arrival. Breakfast staff was extremely nice. Location close to Intermodal train station so could walk to hotel. Close to river walk and good dining options. Took shuttle from pub next door to ball game. Not close enough to walk to Miller Park.

OzandLilly,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about our hotel and your most recent stay with us. I am sorry that the pool and whirlpool were not open during your stay. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to come back and visit us once the pool renovation has been completed. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Milwaukee, and I hope that you think of us if your travels bring you back to our fine city.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I did not know this hotel was a Howard Johnson in it's prior life. That explains a lot! I am amazed that Hilton allowed this to be branded a Hampton Inn with all of the problems it is currently experiencing. This is a very old, renovated office building. That being said, it's current HVAC system is a boiler. Upon check-in, the lobby was an unbearable temperature. The front desk laughed it off, saying that sometimes it gets warm in the lobby. Oh, that was nothing compared to the actual room. Sixth floor room was just so-so. Lots of items did not work. Lamps had no bulbs, remote was low on battery, wi-fi was non-responsive. The big story here was the temperature of the room. Upon arrival, it had to be close to 80. By the time we finished dinner, it was approaching 90. My cosmetics were melting, our bathroom floor was so hot you could not walk barefoot on it. I called the front desk before going to sleep begging for help but the boiler had been set and the only thing they could do was offer a box fan. Initially turned down the box fan, but called to ask for it again because sleep was impossible with the stifling heat in the room. Windows do not open. Absolutely could not sleep and checked out in the morning exhausted. I asked about the 100% guarantee and they comped the room (I had used Hilton points.) A smaller, more minor, inconvenience was the fact that the hotel directory stated that the hotel would have stamps. I needed to mail a birthday card and when I went to get a stamp, was told the hotel doesn't carry them and I would need to visit the Walgreen's down the street to get one. The breakfast was acceptable, sliced grilled Polish sausage and eggs was the offering on our day. No complaints there. But eating breakfast in the heat of the lobby, awful. Pool was small but functional. Location is great, nice and close to the River Walk and all that it has to offer. I was assured upon check-out that this property is undergoing renovations to address many of the items in my review and the reviews of others. I truly hope that this becomes a nicer property after the renovations are completed, the type of renovations that would command the rather steep prices they command at this downtown location. Glad I used Hilton points and at least I got them back, I'm sure others haven't been as lucky.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrienne M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location and we hope that the next time you are in area, you will consider staying at our hotel again and experience our true Hamptonality.

Misty Kingsley

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!