“Pros and Cons” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Franklin, Indiana
“Pros and Cons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The good things about this hotel were: its downtown location - close to lots of restaurants and attractions (we even walked to the art museum); staff was very accommodating; good variety for breakfasts; the rooms fit our needs - two adjoining suites with mini fridges and microwaves. The negatives include: the parking garage (owned by the city) was difficult to figure out (the in-and-out cost, etc.) and only one of the garage elevators worked (one had a sign on it that it would be out until December!); you had to REALLY search for ice in the machines - it seemed that almost none of them had ice; neither of the drinking fountains on the second or fifth floors by the garage elevators worked. The worst part, though, was that the pull out sofas in both rooms were awful - it was like sleeping on a fence; the mattress was maybe an inch thick. The second and third nights, I just slept on the couch without pulling it out and it was much more comfortable. All in all, though, we enjoyed our stay and would return again.

Room Tip: If you get a suite and someone needs to sleep on the pull out sofa, beware. The mattress is virtuall...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is clean and accommodating. Consider when you book to get a low rate. I booked 6 months in advance and it cost me more than a friend who booked the weekend of. Very backwards. Great location. Nice pool. Clean clean clean rooms.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GMEric, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you Lindsay - believe it or not - I share your frustration with the booking game since I am a consumer just like you. We see it with airlines, with car rental and with hotels - the businesses that price based on a projected demand for their product and which may raise or lower rates as dates approach and a clearer picture of demand develops. The best advice I can give is to check advance purchase rates which typically offer the best rates for booking your room well in advance and locking in your reservation. Advance purchase rates are not refundable, but they typically offer the very best rates. You'll find them on our Hampton.com website.

Hope we get the pleasure of having you visit us in Milwaukee again!

Thanks again for the review!
Eric
Circle Pines, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hampton Inn during 4th of July week. The room was small compared to other hotels outside of the downtown area. It was nice to be close to the Riverwalk, 3rd Ward, and the Milwaukee Public Museum. Parking wasn't included. The service was lacking. There were few choices for food. We enjoyed the experience of staying downtown.

• Stayed July 2013
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We enjoyed our visit at the Hampton Inn & Suites. The employees were outstanding; the breakfast was good; and the rooms were clean.
It is centrally located near the Riverwalk and most other downtown attractions, (but not the art museum at about a mile which has.reasonably-priced underground parking)..
Value:. We paid more than $150.00 per night for a room that seemed small, so while the rates are competitive, they seemed expensive.
Parking: The hotel is attached to a city garage that allows a $!3 per day rate. When you pull into it, you see what looks like a mural with the Hampton Inn on it. In the middle of the mural is a handle. That is the door handle. You buzz and then go into the hotel to check in. We had trouble with the parking system with the scanned card letting us in out but not letting us out.
In general, we were happy with this hotel choice. Many thanks to the wonderful staff members.

Lombard, IL, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The wedding was in downtown Milwaukee w/i walking distance from the Hampton. Parking next door was perfect and reasonable with the pass. Room was clean and extremely adequate. The best thing was the brunch served in the lobby on Sunday. The host could not have been nicer-even gathered our plates to throw away.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Nancy H

Thanks for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our great hotel. Our team prides themselves in being the friendliest in Milwaukee. I will pass on your nice comments to Phil who is the breakfast host you speak of. Phil is a great asset to our hotel and is always looking for the little things to make our guests happy. Our great location makes it easy to get around in downtown as we are close to so many things. I will pass on your comments about the room being cleaned to my housekeeping team. I hope you enjoyed your trip enough to come back and see us soon.

Carrying Place, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a great time in Milwaukee and a big part of the reason was our stay at this hotel. The staff were friendly and polite and we were thrilled with our room. Travelling with a three year old is not always easy - we were extremely happy with the layout of the suite and it was very clean and comfortable!

The location of the hotel was great - just a short walk to the lakefront and close to some shops. We were only here for one night but we were pleasantly surprised with our experience and both my husband and I remarked that if we come to Milwaukee again, we would have no hesitation in booking here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Laura M

We appreciate you coming to Milwaukee and choosing our hotel. My team and I pride ourselves in being Milwaukee’s friendliest hotel and I am glad we met those expectations. As you know our hotel is close to almost everything Milwaukee has to offer. I have two kids of my own and I know how crazy it can be to travel with them and how space is needed so I am glad you felt comfortable. The goal for my team and I is to insure our guests have a great stay and we whatever we can to make that happen. I love sharing our reviews with our staff so they know what our guests are saying about them and the service they provide. My housekeeping team will be happy that you felt the room was clean and up to your expectations. I hope you will travel to Milwaukee again.

Erie, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here when we went to the Marcus Ampitheatre for a Mumford and Sons concert. The location is great for that. It's a bit of a walk, but very doable, and outside of all the traffic craziness that Summerfest creates. The location is also nearby the riverwalk and historic third ward. It's also just a very nice, clean hotel. Employees have been taught excellent customer service. Definitely will stay here again when in Milwaukee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim723

Thanks for the great review. Our team will be thrilled to read your review. The great location that we are in is close to almost everything our great city has to offer. I am sure like any downtown city like Milwaukee traffic can be a little crazy so I am glad you made it through and enjoyed your time with us. The summerfest grounds are a great place to enjoy a festival and Milwaukee has a lot of those. Hope you concert was a great experience for you and added to your fun. My team and I pride ourselves in being Milwaukee’s friendliest hotel and I am glad we met those expectations for you. If your travels bring you back to our great city we hope you will choose us again.

Edward

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!