“Great Service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Austin, Texas
“Great Service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was in town working on a "Sing Karaoke in all 50 States + DC" goal and was having trouble finding somewhere to sing Karaoke. Ty was super helpful! She was really friendly too! She is all I expect from front desk staff at a hotel. Everything else was great, minus the view from my room haha, But you can't have it all, right? :) Thanks for the great stay everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Asher P,

Thank you for you great reveiw, we love to know our guests enjoy our friendly service. Ty will love knowing that she serviced you well and to your expectations. My team and I truly love to know what our guests like about our hotel and staff. Being in the hospitality business we want to make everyone's stay memorable and it seems like we did that for you. Being in a downtown property the view is not always good as you experienced and I do apologize for that. Thank you again for staying with us and the great feedback I will share it with the team.

Edward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for Summerfest...one of the closest hotels to the grounds....probably about a mile walk if you had to walk. Mo's Irish Pub is 2 doors down and they offer a free shuttle to the grounds and are open late on fest days (kitchen until 1:30!) if you want a snack after the fest. Also shopping nearby that you can walk to.
the hotel has a city garage behind the hotel / attached that was $12 to park overnight.
Pros: location awesome
beds and pillows rather comfortable
decent sized rooms
free breakfast with eggs, sausage, potatoes (all pre-made buffet things, but hey, it's free!)
Cons: walls so thin you can hear a conversation in the next room
in busy times, the tiny elevators take a while to get
the heat/air control didn't do much...it seems the cold air just keeps dropping out of vents in the ceiling and you can either turn your dial to "cold" and then it blows this cold air making the room freezing cold no matter how far you turn or don't turn the dial...or you can turn it "off" in which case the heaters around the edges of the room kick in, and the cold air just drops gently rather than blowing. so that was odd, but not the end of the world
exhaust fan sounds like a loud rumbling train / very noisy

Overall, nice for the location and price, just beware of the few cons
the

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear WindyCityGirl88 ,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, my team is always excited to get feedback from our guests. You are 100% accurate we are one of the cloest hotels to the Summerfest grounds which makes it a perfect location for a nice walk to the event. Our location provides many restaurants and shops that are close by which make it perfect to find waht you are looking for. As we continue to improve our hotel for our guests we are looking at ways to imporve the heating and cooling systems. Again thank you for the nice comments and feedback about the hotel. We hope to see you agian for the 2014 Summerfest Event.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed last week for three nights at this property on business, primarily due to the location...and I was not disappointed. The Chicago Cubs were in town and Summerfest started on Wednesday so the property was booked. I lucked out to have so much going on while I was in town. If you are driving the parking ramp is off of N 2nd St a block to the west. As you drive up the parking ramp, the hotel lobby is on the 2nd floor. You enter a door which doesn't look like a door at all. Upon entering there is a small gym facility, and I think the business center is on this floor also. You then take the elevator or stairs down to the first floor where the lobby, pool, breakfast, etc are located. The layout was strange but after a while you got used to it.

The room itself was nice and clean, the only thing I noticed was a rip/tear and stain on the carpet, which I can handle. Everything else was great. I did notice that the shower water pressure was very below average. I logged right into the free WIFI on my laptop but for some reason I had problems every day with the WIFI on my iPhone. It would eventually connect but after several attempts. There is a breakfast every morning starting at 6:30 which was a very nice option to have. There is also a snack area which comes in handy late night.

The location of the property cannot be beat. Mo's Irish Pub is right out the front door and to the left, about fifty paces down Wisconsin Ave. Mo's has a free shuttle to Miller Park where the Brewers play. You can take a drink from Mo's on the shuttle or they even sell beer on the shuttle bus. The food at Mo's was very good also.

There is a river walk a block away with John Hawks Pub and Rock Bottom Brewery overlooking the Milwaukee River. Courtesy of the TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews, I found myself at the Swinging Door Exchange one block south and three blocks east every night I was there. This place is awesome! It is a restaurant/saloon that I would classify as a dive bar with class. The food is amazing, and you can't beat 3 for $5 Coors Lights daily! It is directly across from the Hilton Garden Inn and it is definitely a gem in Downtown Milwaukee. Definitely give this place a chance. It was relatively busy each time I was there. You can sit in the bar area or there is also an adjacent dining room as well as patio seating on E Michigan Street.

I would definitely recommend this hotel; as a matter of fact my colleague will be staying in this property next week.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Edward K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks for the great review. You are accurate about our location it is great, we are centrally located to many things our great city has to offer. Our parking garage is owned by the City of Milwaukee and we are looking at ways we can improve our parking garage entrance to the hotel. Our breakfast team prides themselves on making sure the food is great and it is out in a timely manor so we can accommodate our guests needs. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will come back soon to visit.

Thanks
Waterbury, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was extremely happy with my room, staff, location and it is a clean, friendly hotel at stay at. I would suggest utilizing this hotel for business as well as pleasure. although there is not free parking, the rate of 13.50 if you are there for multiple days is extremely reasonable. The staff are very friendly and help in way that they can

Doug,

Thank you for the great review, our team prides ourselves on being Milwaukee's Friendliest hotel. My team and I are always looking for feedback from our guests. Our team is thrilled when they get great comments from our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon back in Brew City.

Cordova, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had stayed here before with mixed review for me but much improved over a couple of years ago. Parking is an issue as you go into parking garage directly behind and proceed to 2nd floor where the door is part of Hampton paint on wall. Must ride elevator down to check in, not great but it's a downtown high rise so you have to do what you can. Staff very friendly. Be sure to let them know you use parking garage. They can give you a card that let's you in and out and puts money on your hotel bill. More convenient than multiple city charges. Room was nice. All comfortable. To Hampton standards. Downtown has many things happening so it is a good area for such. I went to Brewers game so I did not sample that but it was evident.
Great stay, fine Hampton Inn

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMEric, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
How great to hear that the improvements we continue to make have made a great hotel even better - thanks for your feedback! The comments we receive from our guests really do help us make adjustments to our product and service - we DO care about your experiences and I'm so glad it shows! Thank you for your comments regarding the parking situation as well. While we recommend the garage attached to the hotel for its convenience - it is not owned or operated by the hotel and there are others in the area which we will gladly recommend - particularly for oversized vehicles or motorcycles (which the attached garage does not accommodate). Thank you for passing on the good news about the never-ending improvements and the great staff we have here in Milwaukee! Hope to see you again soon!
Eric
Deerfield, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had some visiting friends from Brazil and we came to Milwaukee to look around go to the museum and have dinner. Our visit was made really enjoyable because we had such a wonderful stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

affordable for a downtown hotel with great location- can walk to most venues. Beautiful rooms and lots of space. Great breakfast with lots to choose from...and the service was unmatched! Housekeeping responded to needs immediately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!