“Great Option Close to Marquette University” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #30 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great Option Close to Marquette University”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My daughter and I were in Milwaukee to visit Marquette University. It was the perfect location - right downtown, just a few short minutes from the campus, close to many restaurants, the riverwalk, parks etc. (although it was much too cold to enjoy the later sights). The room was very clean, appointed well, comfortable in every respect. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. The front desk staff was extremely friendly, and very helpful. Covered parking with direct hotel access a plus. This was our first visit to Milwaukee and as we hope it won't be the last, this will be our go-to hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel so much. As you stated in your review, we have many destinations within blocks of our hotel. I understand you were here for a visit to Marquette University. Hopefully you will be able to come back to enjoy our city some more. We have great pride in our staff, and I am so happy their personalities and helpfulness made your stay so great! We hope to see you again soon!

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Davenport, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We got a free upgrade upon arrival. The room was very clean, and the beds were very nice. if ever in town we would stay at this Hampton again. The continintal breakfast was very good, and lots to choose from.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

What I have come to expect from Hampton: clean, consistent rooms. This hotel most def. had that. The room was spacious and comfortable. Coffee down stairs was hot, staff was friendly. Location is great. What more to ask? I will stay here again next trip to Milwaukee!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review on our hotel. I am very happy that our hotel lived up to your Hampton standards. Our staff does a great job of showing our guests their “Hamptonality.” It is just one of the attributes that keeps our guests coming back. We would be honored if you would come to stay with us again and enjoy all of the great attractions that are within walking distance of the hotel!
Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Close to great restaurants and bars, covered parking. Clean rooms. refrigerator and microwave in room. Many items to choose from for breakfast. Dislike when people are barefoot in lobby and in food/coffee areas. Less than a block from Riverside Theater (concerts). Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We are becoming frequent visitors to Milwaukee and are working our way through the downtown hotels. This stay at the Hampton was on a Friday night. We have stayed at many Hamptons and find them to be very nice hotels for the money.

Here are the good points about this hotel:
Our room was very clean. I did not see a speck of anything anywhere. The bed was very comfortable. I like the fact that they wash the duvet covers between each occupant. It's nice to be able to sit on and set things on the beds, knowing they are clean. The breakfast area is adjacent to the lobby. This area looks like it has been recently renovated and is very attractive. The breakfast is really nice. There are several hot options, such as scrambled eggs, meats, and make your own waffles. Cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, juice, and a nice coffee/tea set up. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. Parking was $13.50/day, with in and out privileges.
And now for the negatives:
Our room was very odd. A smaller, interior room looking out onto the fire escape. It felt fairly claustrophobic. I'm very surprised that they created guest rooms in this location. It is really quite undesirable. There is no closet, but the room does have a wardrobe. It is nice that they provide a mini fridge, but it is just sitting on the floor by the chair, and looks out of place. Our room was starting to show some wear, with things like peeling wallpaper. You could see where they had previously "fixed" it with staples near the ceiling. I really don't think they should be charging full price for this room. Had it been sold as an "interior room with an obstructed view" at a reduced price- that would be fair.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are delighted that you found our rooms to be clean and your bed comfortable, we are sorry that you are disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you were disappointed with condition you found your room to be in. We are updating our property on an ongoing basis and I do appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Also, please know we have added your preference of an exterior room to your profile for future stays.

We hope that next time you'll be in the Milwaukee area, you'll consider staying with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

From the outside the hotel looks like a 1980's casino with bazar gold glazed windows and a strange facade but inside what a nice renovation. The lobby is very spacious with plenty of tables for the free breakfast, ample space to work and even a selection of board games. The front desk staff was extremely personable and had typical Midwest hospitality. I realized that I ended up in one of the smaller rooms by referencing the emergency exit diagram on the back of the room door which gave an overview of the entire floor-plan for that floor, but my room was more than adequate for a two day business trip. The room was also quiet despite looking south onto the main street. I'd recommend this hotel and even suggest taking the stairs as the stairway is actually huge and has some very nice tile work that most guests are likely to miss. In addition there is also a great business center on the second floor with some public computers, a nice HP printer (much appreciated as I had to print out a contract) and a stock of Fedex envelopes.

Room Tip: Asking for two beds would likely result in a room with some additional square footage.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all of the renovations that we have done in the last year. Our lobby, fitness center, and business center have all been remodeled. I am also happy to hear that you appreciated the large stairways with all of the original tile work. We are so proud of our building that was built in the early 1900’s. Due to its original purpose as two office buildings and a bank, we have a very unique layout and a variety of room types. Thank you so much for your recommendation, and we hope to see you again soon!
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

there was wallpaper hanging down in the room and bath room the fire sprinkler had wires hanging out from the sprinkler and my whirlpool would not hold water or the jets would not stay on totally not with almost $400 dollars. very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration to make sure we resolve the issues you mentioned in your review so that we may continue providing our guests with the exceptional level of service they deserve.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!