“A great value in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Los Angeles, California
“A great value in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Not a fancy hotel by any means, but if you're looking for a place to lay your head while you walk to many of the best bars and resturants in Milwaukee - this is perfect. The rooms and bathrooms are slightly outdated, the bed comfortable (if pillows a little lumpy).

But again, you can walk along the river to several high end restaurants. Definitely stroll a couple blocks up the street to the Blu Bar at the top of the ornate Pfister Hotel with its panoramic views of downtown buildings and Lake Michigan.

This hotel is also a quick, easy drive from the airport. So convenient and the price (low $100s) couldn't be beat. Also a free breakfast in the morning was nice.

Room Tip: Better to stay away from the indoor pool area as the smell of clorine is strong.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
First of all, I want to thank you for filling out a review on our hotel. Feedback from our guests is so important in helping us to improve our service. We pride ourselves on being able to provide excellent service at a reasonable price. I am glad that you found our hotel to be in such a great location. The attractions around us such as the Riverwalk and many outstanding restaurants play a vital role in entertaining our guests. As a Hampton, we know that a hot breakfast is an amenity that our guests look forward to, and I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you come to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Pittsbourgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The guest service was very friendly, the asian guy at check in was fantastic I wish I remembered his name, but the location was great! other than that it missed on a couple of things. you could tell that the fixtures in the rooms were very outdated and many were loose and coming off the wall, also the elevators were creapy and shut whenever they felt like it and sometimes brought us to the wrong floor, also the hvac systems were very confusing they had the wall units, but also a vent in the ceiling which made some noise and the temp control looked very dated. the rooms themselves were fine, beds comfy. overall good, not great, would check out other hotels, but i do trust this one.

Room Tip: get larger rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you so much for filling out a review on our hotel! It’s wonderful that Billy made such a good impression upon you at check in. We are always trying to provide our guests with the best “Hamptonality” that we can. I am very pleased that you found our beds to be comfortable. After all, a good night’s sleep is so important when one is staying somewhere away from home. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us continue to move toward perfection as well. Thanks again for sharing your experience and we would love for you to stay with us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed the set up with the unique hotel. Built in parking was cheap, thankfully. Breakfast was standard. 1st shift woman at front desk was rude when we got locked out of our rooms right before checkout with our purses and luggage still on the room. Bathrooms were nice and liked the view, including the creepy, empty building next door! Elevators didn't always work.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the layout of the hotel. We take great pride in having such a unique history behind our property. I am also pleased that the parking was to your liking. Thank you so much for your concern regarding the elevators, and because of your comments, I was able to bring this matter to our engineering department. If you would like to come to stay with us again, we have many rooms with great city views that face the streets rather than the building next door. I will be sure to share your comments with my team, and thank you again for staying with us!
West Lafayette, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews and the hotel's location to Milwaukee attractions like the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Milwaukee Public Market.

Because it was an urban hotel, the rooms were small, and we had the misfortune of having a view of a brick wall. The water pressure in the shower was weak, the low-flow toilet gave us some problems, and it was so hard to adjust the heat. We had hoped for more for a weekend getaway, especially for the price we paid.

The hotel was clean and fairly quiet, but it's a fairly standard Hampton Inn. The service was decent and friendly, and we had a good breakfast each day. Parking was reasonable and convenient, and the location was good. These are things we have come to expect with all Hampton Inns, so while the hotel was ok, it was nothing special. I wasn't even acknowledged as a loyalty rewards member.

I would recommend the hotel for its location, but I would only stay here again if the price were better or if we were guaranteed a better room for the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
First of all, thank you so much for giving us your feedback. I am so pleased that the location of our hotel was to your liking. We are very centrally located with many points of interest within walking distance. Our building is very unique in that we have many rooms with great city views. I have added the preference of a city view to your Hilton Honors profile, as it pertains to our property. I’m glad that you found our property to be clean. As a Hampton hotel, we take great pride in the cleanliness of our guest rooms. I want to thank you for bringing the concern of the water pressure to our attention so we can look into this matter. I also want to thank you for being a Hilton Honors member, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future!
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The location of this hotel is the selling point. The hotel is very close to the river, and it puts you a quick walk to the bars and restaurants on both Old World 3rd Street and the Public Market. I think an added bonus of this hotel is the adjacent City run garage - no valet. The garage connects directly to the hotel's 2nd floor. The room was very clean and quite spacious. The breakfast was adequate and what you'd expect from a Hampton Inn. I booked through Hotwire, so I can't comment on the value of this hotel based on others in the area. I would stay here again and recommend it to others if the price was right! (Our room was right off the elevator, and we heard guests coming and going all night. I imagine they do this to all Hotwire guests, so it's something to be aware of.)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right off the elevators!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. It definitely makes a trip to Milwaukee more enjoyable when everything is within walking distance. I did note your comments regarding the people that you heard throughout the night. Our hotel is actually made up of three different buildings, so we have the luxury of a very unique layout. On your next visit to our hotel, we would be more than happy to put you in a room that is further away from the elevator. Again, thank you so much for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed at the Hampton one night in September. The staff was great and room clean and comfortable. The front desk provided us with information to get to Miller park and it went smoothly. Business center was small but had two working computers. Would stay at this location again if in Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Higher room was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always pleased when our guests enjoy their stay. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. We take much pride in being able to provide comfort for our guests. I am so happy that our staff was able to make your trip run a little more smoothly by providing directions to Miller Park. In regards to our business center, we will be upgrading our business center in the next couple of months, so that will increase the space and availability of computers. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you come to Milwaukee. We would love having you here again!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We chose this place for a girls' trip weekend getaway because one of us had enough points for a room and the location is great. It served it's purpose for three women for two nights, but there are quite a few things that need fixing.

The pros:
*Location is great. Right near the river, walking distance to bars and restaurants.
*Separate living room in our suite with closed doors to block sound from hallway.
*Fridge and Microwave in our room.
*Double sinks.

The cons:
*The double room had double beds, not queens. Not totally shocking, but not awesome.
*Lots of outlets in our room didn't work.
*Outlets in the sink/mirror area of the bathroom were only on one side. So three women had to plug in on one side and were unable to spread out.
*At least three light switches controlled absolutely nothing.
*The bathroom was falling apart. Tiles were missing from the floor, wallpaper was rotting off the wall, obvious water damage to the ceiling.
*The breakfast was held in 6th floor ballroom, passing about 20 rooms on the way. I would HATE to be staying in any of those between the hours of 6 and 10am when foot traffic to breakfast is heavy.
*The breakfast is exactly what you expect. Cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, waffles. All fine. But the hot stuff (eggs, sausage, french toast) was terrible. The eggs in particular were some kind of instant mush. I suggest you stick with the cereals. Though I brought my own since I'm gluten free and I knew they wouldn't have any options for me.
*Parts of this hotel can feel like a big maze. I'm not sure who designed the place, but it's very awkward.

It served it's purpose for our weekend, but I wouldn't choose to go back again with the many other options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay on the 6th floor if you don't like hallway noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback, and I hope you had fun on your girls’ weekend! I’m so glad that our location worked out for you and that you were able to close the doors in your suite to keep out any hallway noise. I understand that you were in a suite room with two double beds. If you needed the queen beds in the future, we do have suites available with queen beds. Since you have stayed with us, we have moved our breakfast from the 6th floor to the lobby area with additional seating adjacent to the front desk in our new room called “The Salon.” Finally, I know the layout of our building is very unique. Our hotel is actually comprised of three different buildings. One building used to be a bank and the other two were office buildings. We are very proud of the history of our buildings, but it does take a little exploring to know your way around. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you will consider coming to stay with us again and enjoy the new improvements that we are making!

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!