“Close to attractions but standard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
West Lafayette, IN
“Close to attractions but standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews and the hotel's location to Milwaukee attractions like the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Milwaukee Public Market.

Because it was an urban hotel, the rooms were small, and we had the misfortune of having a view of a brick wall. The water pressure in the shower was weak, the low-flow toilet gave us some problems, and it was so hard to adjust the heat. We had hoped for more for a weekend getaway, especially for the price we paid.

The hotel was clean and fairly quiet, but it's a fairly standard Hampton Inn. The service was decent and friendly, and we had a good breakfast each day. Parking was reasonable and convenient, and the location was good. These are things we have come to expect with all Hampton Inns, so while the hotel was ok, it was nothing special. I wasn't even acknowledged as a loyalty rewards member.

I would recommend the hotel for its location, but I would only stay here again if the price were better or if we were guaranteed a better room for the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
First of all, thank you so much for giving us your feedback. I am so pleased that the location of our hotel was to your liking. We are very centrally located with many points of interest within walking distance. Our building is very unique in that we have many rooms with great city views. I have added the preference of a city view to your Hilton Honors profile, as it pertains to our property. I’m glad that you found our property to be clean. As a Hampton hotel, we take great pride in the cleanliness of our guest rooms. I want to thank you for bringing the concern of the water pressure to our attention so we can look into this matter. I also want to thank you for being a Hilton Honors member, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The location of this hotel is the selling point. The hotel is very close to the river, and it puts you a quick walk to the bars and restaurants on both Old World 3rd Street and the Public Market. I think an added bonus of this hotel is the adjacent City run garage - no valet. The garage connects directly to the hotel's 2nd floor. The room was very clean and quite spacious. The breakfast was adequate and what you'd expect from a Hampton Inn. I booked through Hotwire, so I can't comment on the value of this hotel based on others in the area. I would stay here again and recommend it to others if the price was right! (Our room was right off the elevator, and we heard guests coming and going all night. I imagine they do this to all Hotwire guests, so it's something to be aware of.)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right off the elevators!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. It definitely makes a trip to Milwaukee more enjoyable when everything is within walking distance. I did note your comments regarding the people that you heard throughout the night. Our hotel is actually made up of three different buildings, so we have the luxury of a very unique layout. On your next visit to our hotel, we would be more than happy to put you in a room that is further away from the elevator. Again, thank you so much for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed at the Hampton one night in September. The staff was great and room clean and comfortable. The front desk provided us with information to get to Miller park and it went smoothly. Business center was small but had two working computers. Would stay at this location again if in Milwaukee.

Room Tip: Higher room was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always pleased when our guests enjoy their stay. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. We take much pride in being able to provide comfort for our guests. I am so happy that our staff was able to make your trip run a little more smoothly by providing directions to Miller Park. In regards to our business center, we will be upgrading our business center in the next couple of months, so that will increase the space and availability of computers. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you come to Milwaukee. We would love having you here again!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We chose this place for a girls' trip weekend getaway because one of us had enough points for a room and the location is great. It served it's purpose for three women for two nights, but there are quite a few things that need fixing.

The pros:
*Location is great. Right near the river, walking distance to bars and restaurants.
*Separate living room in our suite with closed doors to block sound from hallway.
*Fridge and Microwave in our room.
*Double sinks.

The cons:
*The double room had double beds, not queens. Not totally shocking, but not awesome.
*Lots of outlets in our room didn't work.
*Outlets in the sink/mirror area of the bathroom were only on one side. So three women had to plug in on one side and were unable to spread out.
*At least three light switches controlled absolutely nothing.
*The bathroom was falling apart. Tiles were missing from the floor, wallpaper was rotting off the wall, obvious water damage to the ceiling.
*The breakfast was held in 6th floor ballroom, passing about 20 rooms on the way. I would HATE to be staying in any of those between the hours of 6 and 10am when foot traffic to breakfast is heavy.
*The breakfast is exactly what you expect. Cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, waffles. All fine. But the hot stuff (eggs, sausage, french toast) was terrible. The eggs in particular were some kind of instant mush. I suggest you stick with the cereals. Though I brought my own since I'm gluten free and I knew they wouldn't have any options for me.
*Parts of this hotel can feel like a big maze. I'm not sure who designed the place, but it's very awkward.

It served it's purpose for our weekend, but I wouldn't choose to go back again with the many other options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask not to stay on the 6th floor if you don't like hallway noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback, and I hope you had fun on your girls’ weekend! I’m so glad that our location worked out for you and that you were able to close the doors in your suite to keep out any hallway noise. I understand that you were in a suite room with two double beds. If you needed the queen beds in the future, we do have suites available with queen beds. Since you have stayed with us, we have moved our breakfast from the 6th floor to the lobby area with additional seating adjacent to the front desk in our new room called “The Salon.” Finally, I know the layout of our building is very unique. Our hotel is actually comprised of three different buildings. One building used to be a bank and the other two were office buildings. We are very proud of the history of our buildings, but it does take a little exploring to know your way around. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you will consider coming to stay with us again and enjoy the new improvements that we are making!
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here this weekend with two friends in a one bedroom suite. Clean & comfortable suite in downtown. Good location and walking distance to alot of areas in the city. The staff were very helpful providing recommendations in the area. Hotel offered free breakfast, computer access, wireless, and fitness cetner. Good value and would recommend staying here if you are looking for a suite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Misty K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for your time, feedback and your kind words. We hope to serve you again!
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Another good stay here at the Hampton Inn downtown Milwaukee. Had a room with 2 queens, the room was pretty tiny. As with many older downtown hotels, some rooms here are really spacious and others are like closets. This time we had one like a closet and it had a view of an abandoned building next door. The 2 beds were literally crammed into that room. I would definately ask not to have a tiny room like that again. We spent 2 nights, the first night we went down to the pool and got in the hot tub. When we walked in there some other people in the pool area who said you can't get in there there are too many chemicals in it. Boy were they right. I stuck my feet in but my husband got in. It stunk of chemicals so bad that he had to get out, his eyes were red, watering and burning all night. I told them at the desk and he called maintenance. The hot tub was closed after that and so the next night there was no hot tub for us. Pretty disappointing really. Would stay again for sure but next time we're trying the Hilton Garden Inn that's opening just across the river. Next time I stay at the Hampton I would definately tell them I don't want the tiny closet style rooms. Desk staff is super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure to be aware some rooms are super tiny so if you have more than 2 people be sure to mention y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Misty K, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We appreciate that you notified us of the smell coming from the pool area. The health and safety of our guests is a top priority. Consequently, this meant that we had to close down the hot tub for maintenance. As noted in a response to another guest, our automatic chemical feeders malfunctioned, causing a spike in the chemical levels. I apologize that we weren’t able to get it up and running before the end of your stay. This malfunction has since been corrected. Thank you for your flexibility and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to see you again soon so you can enjoy the hot tub and our friendly staff.
Andrews, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while doing a baseball game in Milwaukee. It was conviently located near the Trolley and to other downtown venues. Our room was located on the second floor right off the elevator. The room was very clean with a large bathroom, a flat screen TV and free WIFI. Parking was in an attached garage which was easily accesible from our room. The breakfast provided by the hotel was very good with a spacious dining area overlooking the downtown area. Although a little pricey, it is downtown after all. The only problem we had was as we were leaving the parking garage a car came up the spiral exit and since it is a blind area we almost had a head on collision. I guess the fellow could not figure out how to pay to exit the garage area. With the exception of a small power failure on Sunday morning, the rest of our staff was uneventful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We're happy that you enjoyed our hotel. I apologize that the layout of the city parking garage attached to our hotel was confusing for some individuals and almost resulted in an accident. I am happy you and your vehicle are undamaged and I hope you come visit us again when your travels bring you to Milwaukee.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!