“Another Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   176 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Formerly Howard Johnson Milwaukee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and Save 15%
Ranked #29 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Detroit
“Another Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had yet another great stay at this Hampton Inn. We spent 2 nights here in Milwaukee while taking our son back to college. The room was awesome, king suite. It was almost set up like the Embassy Suites, an outer room with tv fridge, sink and microwave that you pass through on the way to the bedroom. Outer room ahd a pull out sofa perfect for our younger son so we could have a comfortabale king bed. THere was a convention in town so they had breakfast both mornings in the ball room so everybody could fit. It was awesome!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hampton176, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
TheCableGirl,

Great to see you and your family had a wonderful time in Milwaukee and we appreciate the opportuntiy to serve you.
We hope to see you again in the near future and we will be installing our Perfect Mix Lobby later this year. Safe travels

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This Hampton Inn is right on W. Wisconsin Avenue, a street with delis, offices, and TJ Maxx and other stores in a Mall across the street, along with some closed stores and restaurants. There is a covered awning protecting you from the elements as you enter the hotel. Overall the facility looks like it's an urban (read: smaller) version of other Hampton Inn's. Staff was very friendly. Elevators are slow and small. I booked my room through the Hilton website, not a discount site. My room, with a queen bed, had about 3' on each side, and 6 feet at the foot of the bed, where there was the desk and dresser. It was small, but predictably clean, with a comfie bed. Liked the free wireless in the room and breakfast is always good. A/c was noisy but white noise, so probably better than hearing outside street noise!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hampton176, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
MaryLander 44,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I hope that we will be your first choice on a return visit to Milwaukee. We appreciate the comments and feedback. Have safe travels and we will see you soon.

Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here for a concert festival. The cab ride from the airport was about $30. This was my first trip to Milwaukee, and I was impressed with how pretty the city was. There are a lot of shopping and restaurant options available, and all within walking distance. The river walk area is just a block or two away as well.

The staff were super friendly, and called up to our room after we had been up there for about 10 minutes to make sure everything was okay. One gentleman in particular, whose name I didn't note, was REALLY friendly and always upbeat, and I saw him multiple times throughout my stay. He was hands on and made sure things went smoothly at breakfast, etc. Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room clean throughout the stay.

The room was clean, bright, and bug free. The sink and toilet seemed to be slow draining or maybe the water pressure was low, although the shower was fine. The toiletries smelled nice. Beds were super comfortable. I realized on this stay that I'm a pretty big fan of Hampton Inns--I've stayed at others in other cities and have really liked them. Hopefully the trend continues in other cities!

There is some street noise, but having lived in various cities, I'm usually pretty comfortable with that. Mainly it was truck noise, or a random motorcycle. The hotel is downtown, so it is to be expected. Someone not used to those type of sounds may have trouble sleeping, though. Also, it could have just been because we were on the street side of the hotel.

Breakfast was complimentary and pretty good. Each of the 3 days we ate, the main item was different. The main item is hot, like eggs or omelets. There are make your own waffle stations along with bread items, cereal, oatmeal, juice, pastries, and coffee.

Elevators can be kind of slow and are kind of small.

I don't know about the parking situation because we didn't rent a car. We called down a few minutes before we checked out and the hotel called us a cab, which was downstairs waiting when we checked out.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Daisy Vacation,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn and Suites for your first visit to Milwaukee, we appreciate your business. I am glad to see that your visit was a positive and I have shared your comments with our team members.
We do hope to see you again and thank for taking the time to post your comments.

New Buffalo, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

A block off the river walk, good parking, clean facilities, comfortable bed and nice breakfast. What more could you ask for? Can't wait to go back

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dutch 49117,

We appreciate your comments and feedback during your recent stay with us.
We look forward to serving you again and if I may be of assistance please feel free to connect with me.

Durham, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I wasn't impressed with the Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Milwaukee. The staff was friendly enough but the rooms are just, bleh. The air duct above my room made a lot of noise when I opened and closed the door. The elevator is SLOW. Very slow. 4-5 minutes slow. Parking is not included but is conveniently located in a garage.

The pool is lame... very bland.

The bed was comfortable. The shower had annoyingly low pressure.

Breakfast is just... average. Cereal, bad eggs, yogurt, toast. Nothing impressive.

Location is nice, located near some fun spots along the water.

Will try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Hampton176, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
ThatGuy09,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay, I am sorry that we did meet your expectations. The buidling of the hotel was a bank at one time so we do experience mechanical issues from time to time. We will be renovating our lower lobby and breakfast area this fall/winter and I do hope that you will consider visting us again in the future.
Safe travels to you.

Woodbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I reserved three rooms for a Sunday stay after a Brewer's game. We arrived early, before noon, but were greeted enthusiastically. At check-in, I was asked if we wanted all three rooms on the same floor and if we wanted a high floor or a low floor. I normally request a high floor, but chose "low" because we had three children in our group looking forward to being in the pool (which is on the ground floor)!

The young man at check-in, I believe his name was Billy, was very accommodating. When I told him being on the same floor would be wonderful, he upgraded one of our rooms to a suite so we could be near each other; very impressive. Our original reservation was for two rooms with two double beds each, and one suite; we ended up with two suites and one room with two double beds. We were on the second floor. The rooms on the second floor aren't exactly on the same level, as one of our rooms was down a short flight of stairs. There was a common area on the floor near the elevators, which was great as a meeting space and a place where we could gather for a snack. It contained a high table with chairs, as well as several side chairs.

All three rooms were immaculate. If I were to really split hairs, there was a bit of discolored grout in our bathroom, but otherwise everything was in very good condition. There were plenty of toiletries in the shower and sink areas. The suites had microwaves and refrigerators, and had two sets of doors separating the double beds from a pull-out sofa. Both "rooms" had a TV; the bathroom was between the two "rooms". It was a great layout for moms and kids because the kids could go to bed and the moms could watch TV, use a laptop, etc., without disturbing the bedroom area.

The pool was a bit small (long and narrow), but perfect for young children. There were plenty of chairs and towels, a hot tub, and lots of room to relax while the kids were in the pool. The workout area was adjacent to the pool; there were also bathrooms directly outside the pool/workout area.

We asked for an extra hour before checking out, which was provided without having to beg. The hotel is centrally located, within walking distance of restaurants of all price ranges. Mo's Pub is a few doors down, from which we took their complimentary shuttle to and from Miller Park.

We walked to the Milwaukee Public Market for lunch on Monday. We chose to park our cars in a public lot, since it was the weekend and there was plenty of availability.

We would not hesitate to stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites in the future. It accommodated our needs, was in a great location, and was managed by a great staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear BGonner,

We appreciate you selecting the Hampton and being able to serve you and your family.
Thank you for comments and feedback regarding your stay, it helps us all improve.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Milwaukee. Thank you again and safe travels.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Spent three nights here visiting some friends in Milwaukee. The staff was exceptionally friendly and cooperative. I paid the $13.40/night for the garage and received a pass that you swipe when you leave the garage. However, the first time I tried to use the pass it wouldn't work. Pressed the assistance button, someone answered, they tried to figure out what was wrong and couldn't. Told me the hotel would have to issue me a new card, which they had waiting for me - along with an apology - as soon as I got out of the garage and went back in to the lobby.

Complimentary breakfast was adequate, nothing fancy but perfectly acceptable.

My room was on the second floor with a single queen. Not large but the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom spotless (with a soap dish provided on the sink, which I like, as I hate putting a used piece of soap directly on the sink - an extra point for that). The noise wasn't too bad from Wisconsin Ave. but next time I will ask for a higher floor and see how that works.

The business center is on the 2nd floor. They have Internet capability, mailing supplies and a printer which I used to print out my boarding pass for my flight the next day.

The halls are well marked with signs to get you where you're going.

The hotel is very close to Riverwalk and restaurants/taverns on Water St. and Wisconsin Ave. in downtown.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hampton176, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for making us part of your journey to Milwaukee, we appreciate the kind comments regarding our staff.
I do hope that on your next visit to Milwaukee that we will be able to be of service.
Have a great rest of the summer and we will see you soon.

Dan

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!