“New Year's Eve Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Milwaukee

You added InterContinental Milwaukee to your Saves list
InterContinental Milwaukee
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 East Kilbourn Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Formerly Wyndham Milwaukee Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“New Year's Eve Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I returned to the IC Milwaukee for New Year's Eve weekend. It was our fifth time to the property, but our first time as InterContinental Ambassadors. We love the IC Milwaukee for it's stylish decor (the lobby is a working art gallery) and central location. It's a great spot for young couples and friends. Matt, the bellman/valet, was friendly and helpful. The servers and bartenders at Kil@Wat and Zen Den were great as well! We were disappointed by the small room size and the fact we did not receive our Ambassador amenity; however, Courtney and Ericka at the front desk went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our stay. They are awesome!!! We are already looking forward to returning this spring.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
This was a really great weekend to bring in the New Year. The hotel was incredibly active with everyone enjoying themselves, I’m glad to hear you had a really good time, and the staff took good care of you. Thanks for the post and we’ll be sure to pass on your compliments to our colleagues mentioned. -Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Bloomington IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

When I think about an InterContinental Hotel I think of a place that is comparable to a Westin or JW Marriott. The InterContinental Milwaukee is more like a Marriott or Sheraton. It's still a nice hotel but not a premium destination. If this hotel were a Crown Plaza, I would have been completely satisfied given muted expectations. From an InterContinental I expect luxury and attention to detail. The rooms were nice but dated. The bathroom was clean but the tub, toilet and sink were cheaper that what you would expect from an InterContinental. Because I need a CPAP to sleep (with sleep apnea) the hunt for an outlet at the head of the bed was frustrating. There was only one outlet that was already loaded and located at the very center of a king-sized bed whose mattress wouldn't budge. Because of its limited accessabilty the area by the head of the bed hadn't been cleaned for a long time and it showed it. Parking is expensive and with a little patience you might find a free spot on the street near the hotel.

As a government employee my room rate was very enticing. The bed was comfortable, the towels were thick and fluffy,and the suite-sized room provided enough space for my teenage son and I to watch the separate TV's in peace. The restaurant and the bar appeared to be first class and every bit what would be expected from an InterContinental. The location was outstanding, in the middle of everything that is downtown Milwaukee. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Brenda_Bender, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are very helpful to us. I apologize that we fell short of your expectations, but am glad that you enjoyed your stay enough to return. We do have a wonderful location here in downtown Milwaukee that puts you within walking distance of most attractions. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. - Brenda
Rural, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over a weekend with 30 students for a "Fine Arts Trip". There were other schools at the hotel as well. Of the rooms we used we had plumbing problems with 2 rooms, but the management promptly rectified the problems. We were greeted kindly by Igor the Bellman, who helped us get our luggage all organized. Christopher and Bryant at the front desk were always pleasant. The weather was the only problem that we encountered that the hotel couldn't fix. With our large group and several others getting stranded, they provided a banquet room for our h.s. students and complimentary soft drinks, rented a Wii, and a large screen TV. The restaurant KiloWatt was fabulous. My mother who also came on this trip and I were able to sneak away for breakfast on both mornings. The rooms were a tad small, most modern hotels offer queen size beds, but they were very comfortable. And it was great to run into an old hs student who now worked in the hotel. A total surprise. We tip our hats to you!!!!
Thanks to everyone that helped our Art Trip be a success.

• Stayed December 2010
Brenda_Bender, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your story and for recognizing our helpful staff. We are proud that we were able to pull together during an unexpected circumstance and make your group's trip a success. And I'm glad you had the opportunity to get some time to yourself and enjoy dining at Kil@wat. We hope to see your group again in the future! - Brenda
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I am a platinum marriott member, and booked a room here for 3 nights because I could not get into a marriott hotel at the government rate. I enjoyed this hotel so much, that I extended my reservation for the entire week of my stay. All of the staff that I encountered were extremely attentive, my room was very modern and comfortable, and the restaurant/room service food was outstanding. The gym is very good too, with cardio machines, free weights, a few weight machines, and a steam room. The hotel is in a good location downtown, within walking distance of several restaurants. Because I stay in hotels 150 nights a year, it is very hard to impress me anymore, but this hotel definitely did the trick. I will definitely stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Brenda_Bender, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
I am so glad that you got the opportunity to stay with us! It is wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We have many guests who come to us looking for a "home away from home" for a week. With our restaurant, 24-hour room service, fitness center, lounges, and friendly staff, we strive to make our travelers comfortable and at ease. I am happy to hear that you were able to experience this during your stay. Thank you so much for writing about your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again! - Brenda
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010 via mobile

I am a priority club member and stay at holiday inn express hotels all over the country on a weekly basis. They great me with a smile, a "thank you for being a member", a bottle of water and an upgrade typically. None of this was the case here at the ICH! Not a word hardly at check-in.....and of course the bitter front desk person shoved me an my wife in a closet of a room....I am sure because I was there on a reward night....wow...what a reward!!

I expect more from the ICH....very disappointed during this stay.

• Stayed December 2010
I apologize that you were disappointed with your stay. We do value our Priority Club members here, and appreciate that you chose to redeem your Rewards nights with us. It is also our procedure here to upgrade Priority Club members when possible, and it certainly was not our intention to put you in a small room. Thank you for bringing these shortcomings to our attention. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and take any report of unfriendly service very seriously. I hope that you would be willing to give us another chance the next time you are in the area so we can demonstrate to you what a great hotel we have. - Brenda
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Below is my original review of my very disappointing stay at this hotel. But I deleted it so that I could add this. The hotel's "manager" sent me a private TA message asking what room I had stayed in, so that they could use it as an example "for training purposes." I confirmed the room number. And that was it. No apology of any sorts. I was hesitant to even complain to hotel staff until the series of non-working devices in our dirty room escalated to having to leave with wet hair on a cold morning. I restrained my TA review because the hotel staff had been so friendly. But this manager's almost passive aggressive and apology-free TA response will keep me from giving this property another shot. All that needed to be said (if anything was said at all) was "I am sorry for your disappointing stay." That is a manager's job.

Below is my original review; read it keeping in mind I was going easy on exactly how filthy our "four star" room was.

I was looking forward to treating myself to a stay here and couldn't have been more disappointed. Our room was dirty--grass and dirt all over the desk, mildewy shower, mildewy comforter, gross face/finger smudge prints on the window, some sort of sticky substance on the wall. And everything was broken: three burned out lights, the television didn't work, the hairdryer didn't work. One of the beds had two sheets but no comforter. I finally called the manager when the hair dryer wouldn't work, and she was quite polite and comped our parking. The place is NOT a treat--stick with the Pfister for that, and if you're deal hunting stick with the Hyatt down the road.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
tsmith61, General Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced at our hotel on your recent stay. As a team of hospitality professionals, we strive to exceed guest expectations and clearly in this case we disappointed you.

It was nice to read your comment about the friendly staff you encountered while here. We do take great pride in our staff and their friendly, helpful nature.

Hopefully while planning your next visit to our city you will consider giving our great hotel and staf another chance.

Timothy Smith
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We found the room to be neat and bathroom clean with wonderfull bath towels, the only minor thing was the bed was a bit soft compare to the one at home but had a good night sleep anyway.
The location is great, we had an event to attend at the Pabst Theater on Saturday night, at ten in the evening, and was surprised about the convenience of it. Also the building as a whole is quite beautiful.
Was very happy with the service starting at the front desk to the wait staff at both restaurants. The service and people were just wonderful. Food was so tasty from the hamburgers we had at CLEAR to our breakfast at KIL(A)WAT the next morning.
Price was right except for the parking, but the valets were very prompt in getting our car and helpful with directions. We left this last Sunday morning, and it was very busy at this time, a lot was going on.
Oh, and our room #704 had a great veiw and very quite But now thinking about it, I'm sure that all the rooms would.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
i1adive, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
We are very fortunate to be right in the center of the Theater District with the Marcus Center for Performing Arts right across the street and directly connected to a complex housing so many theaters: The Historic Pabst Theater, the Quadracci, the Stiemke and the Stackner Cabaret. It really makes it convenient for our guests just like you that enjoy taking in some of the Arts. Sounds like all things being said you had a pretty good time in Milwaukee. Thank you for choosing us and please visit us again. -Steve

Been to InterContinental Milwaukee? Share your experiences!