“Intercontinental Hotel Milwaukee WI” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Milwaukee

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Milwaukee to your Saves list
InterContinental Milwaukee
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 East Kilbourn Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Formerly Wyndham Milwaukee Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Ripon, Wisconsin
“Intercontinental Hotel Milwaukee WI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I would like to start by saying the staff at the hotel is attentive and very polite. Only thing is that housekeeping attempted to come in my room at 9am when I was changing. Surprised they were not aware we had not checked out. But, not a big deal. The king bed had a piece of particle board under the mattress. You had to sleep closer to the middle to get the "support" this was to provide. If this was the best way to ensure a better sleep experience, it was better than not having it. Desk leg area was broken. Again, not a big deal. After returning home an checking our bank account, I saw that we had a $129 charge and another $50 charge, when all we charged to the room was $41.20. I called the hotel, and as I thought, it was a "hold" they put on our card (debit).....I have been to numerous hotels (our business requires we travel over 50% of the time), and we have never actually had a hold on our account. It was explained that the first charge of $50 (from check-in), should have dropped off and been replaced by the second hold (because we charged 2 drinks ($15.92) and the next morning - breakfast ($20). I am aware of the potential holds at some hotels, but was surprised it was not brought to our attention that this would occur...especially over $41.20. Every hotel that we have been to that "may" do the hold has a sign at the desk, or the clerk mentions it. Our waiter at the restaurant in the morning was initially attentive, but after we were done and waiting 10 minutes for our bill (while listening to the staff gossip behind the "wall"), we went to the hostess station and "poof", the waiter was there. I still stand by this is a great hotel, and only really minor things to stop it from being in my review as 5 stars. Keep up the good work. This is coming from a Sales Manager from a resort property in WI that I worked at for over 20 years.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for the detailed review of the hotel. It is always a pleasure reading the good and a learning experience hearing how we can improve. I can see there are several things I will be looking into and appreciate the kind words of being a great hotel. We will work hard at correcting those little things to earn that fifth star the next time we see you. Thank you for your patronage.

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The hotel was really nice, clean, modern and comfy. All the staff were great: the two at the front desk who made 30 copies for me, the two at the bar who chatted with me when I was alone, the bartender in the restaurant in who was really sweet, and the guy who ran my free deodorant up to my room at 11 PM,... But the best part was the housekeeping. They cleaned my room like they knew me. They didn't overstep but arranged things and helped keep me organized. I was really impressed that they took the time to do what they did. I even called when I got home to tell them how happy I was with my stay. I don't travel a lot but when I do I will look for an IHG property for sure.

Room Tip: Had a hard time regulating the thermostat. Seemed to get really hot or really cold quickly. I just...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
My goodness...with all the training we do in all the departments, it sounds like we have been successful. It is always reassuring to hear our staff is as wonderful as I find them to be. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and please know that it will be my pleasure to share this with them.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We spent a night here when we came to town for a game at the Bradley Center with friends. The hotel is in a great location--a 10 minute walk to the arena across from the performing art center. While the rooms are a bit dated and show a bit of wear, the hotel was a great price and the staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. We had a very good breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant. Overall, it was an excellent choice given the price.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Our location is a definite calling card when coming to Milwaukee. I am delighted you found the staff friendly and helpful and overall felt you had made an excellent choice. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was my second stay in this InterContinental property. This is a full size, full service hotel that has a boutique feel. The design and amenities are quite contemporary and the lobby and adjoining areas have a electric alive feeling.
As a InterContinental Ambassador member I was delighted at the extra amenities provided for me during my first visit. On this occasion I was astonished that the front desk associate had no idea about my status.
However, the sign of a superior hotel with superior management is how they handle error. I checked in after 10PM. When I got to my room I called the night manager. He immediately apologized and promised he would provide all the amenities provided to members of the loyalty program.
Within minutes, at this late hour, a server appeared at my door offering complimentary beverages. Moments later, the head concierge, Catharina Matthews, appeared with complimentary meal and beverage chits and a promise to upgrade my room to the same room I had during my previous visit.
Apart from the amenities described the food, service and ambience met my usually high expectation.
If you stay try for an executive room facing the front of the hotel. These are exceptional. The other rooms are clean, comfortable and well maintained but not as updated.

If you have a problem, as for Catharina Matthews. She went out of her way to be accommodating.

Room Tip: Try for a corner executive level room... They have great views, extra space and large bathrooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
I get excited every time I read how well our staff recovers from an "oops." Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for helping us make this review a wonderful "teachable/training" review. We are proud of our hotel as we strive to set the highest of standards and I believe your review has captured many of the reasons guests return. We look forward to serving you again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I do not know who this hotel is trying to attract. The hotel's lobby bar had loud, live music on Friday and Saturday night starting at 10. There was no alternative within the hotel to enjoy an alcoholic beverage and carry on conversation. That's okay -- it is Milwaukee -- and there were plenty of close-by choices outside the hotel. We just would have preferred to stay on the property, but that was not possible, since the restaurant was already closed and the Zen Den was closed for a private function. Speaking of not possible: checking in with the band playing just 20 feet away from the hotel desk. That's right. I don't know how hotel staff could hear a client with a band playing in an open area adjacent to the lobby. That's okay, because you could just kill time playing a game of Ping-Pong while you wait for the band to take a break. You heard me: Ping-Pong in a luxury hotel lobby. Sorry, but that's not the kind of luxury I had in mind. I'll be staying elsewhere next time we stay in Milwaukee.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear sylvrunr,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the live music at the lobby and if our hotel fell below your expectations. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I went to Milwaukee from Chicago last month to watch a Bulls vs Bucks game at the Bradley Center. The hotel is in a very good location if you are going to the Bradley Center for any event, it was an easy walk there and back. The hotel was very clean and well kept, and the staff members were all very friendly. The room was nothing special, however, was plenty nice enough for the rate we paid. our room also had a nice view of downtown. Also, parking was very easy in the hotel basement. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to write this review. While it is always good to hear a patron likes our location and the room has a nice view, we all hope for the magic words, "I would definitely stay here gain." We will definitely look forward to serving you again!
Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Inter- continental is one of three Marcus Properties in downtown Milwaukee. It is the Marcus Corps. most recent acquisition. the property is well managed- chose the Intercontinental based on price and location. The room is nicely laid out with a bedroom and sitting room. While the bedding is very comfortable the rooms are ready for an update- getting a little rough around the edges.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to write this review. I appreciate you pointing out the comfort ability of the room. It is good to know you found us competitive in pricing and found our location convenient. We hope to see you again.

Been to InterContinental Milwaukee? Share your experiences!