“Not what you would expect for an InterContinental hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Milwaukee

You added InterContinental Milwaukee to your Saves list
InterContinental Milwaukee
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 East Kilbourn Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Formerly Wyndham Milwaukee Center) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Not what you would expect for an InterContinental hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here 1 night and that was enough for me. The rooms are exhausted looking with holes in the walls where the new wall hangings don't cover the old hanging's marks. The room service food is overpriced and nothing great if not yuck. There were spiders in the room (at least 3) which totally grossed me out. And they overcharged me over $400 to which they could never explain why. The over charge got corrected after a whole week and multiple calls to a sometimes helpful sometimes extremely rude front house manager and mostly rude receptionists.
The pro's good location and a pretty lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

(I originally wrote this on my phone and somehow had to make a new account. So, this is my review.)

We are actually at the hotel right now and regretting our choice. As soon as we get showered, we're going to the front desk to see if we can switch rooms. The problem is that we have a room with a connecting door. That door is so thin, it sounds like our neighbors are in our room. I've been listening (not by choice) to their conversation about soap, where to have breakfast, their friends, a sweater someone really loves, perfume vs. body spray, etc. Did I mention this can all be heard over the tv (turned on to drown out the neighbors).

So, tip one: make sure your room doesn't have a connecting door.

Tip two: don't expect to get any late night menu items from the 24 hour kitchen. We called and they had a half a sandwich (?) and two salads available. Not two kinds of salad, two total salads. That was it. No thanks.

We will not be staying here again. We expect a level of comfort that this price range implies. The Intercontinental did not deliver.

PS: We thought the bed was super comfortable and would love to purchase one of the featherbeds! Who makes it?

Room Tip: Ask for a room without an adjoing/connecting door. Also, don't plan to eat after midnight.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincerest apology for the overall issues you had during your stay. I would like to speak to you regarding your experience. I can be reached at 414-299-3173. I look forward to hearing from you soon. -Jenny Tucker
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had excellent service from the valet staff, front desk, restaurant and room service. All were very friendly. Several of our family members stayed at the Intercontinental at the same time & all agreed that the beds are among the most comfortable of any hotel! Although the decor in the common areas was a bit modern for my taste, the property was clean and well kept up. Some of the younger folks in our group enjoyed being able to play table tennis off the lobby. Great feature!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. This is the first on line mention of our table tennis and it is nice to know it was a hit with your party. The best news is the "excellent service" comment. We are committed to making our patrons stay a warm, comfortable one, and it begins with service in all areas. It was our pleasure to have you.
Manitowoc, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We chose to stay the evening of 9/21 as we were going to a show in the area. Allegedly we received an upgrade to King Executive Suite. Let's just say the rooms were dated and they were in need of deep cleaning. The living area furniture was ornamental and not functional. Amenities "basket" included very over priced snacks and a "Intimacy Kit..." The presence of the "kit" and the location of the establishment, could lead one to believe that this is a place for "nooners." The ironing board had stains on it. The bathroom corners were very dirty. On the up side the bed was very comfortable. It appeared to us all the upgrades were done in the lobby.. color changing lights, comfy seating, etc. There was a Chocolate bar available for an exceptional fee...
We have stayed in Holiday Inn's and hotels with our Priority club , however, this time the Intercontinental did not raise to the level of what we typically expect from the Intercontinental chains...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are committed to offering the finest service to our guest. Each review is given close scrutiny as we deem all input important to improving and maintaining a standard which our guests expect. Thank you for specifying your problematic areas. We are going through each area searching to improve.
Dallas, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I arrived the evening before a day conference at this hotel. Overall my stay was good. The rooms are quiet, spacious and updated, but not super modern. For example, the TV didn't have HDMI inputs and I like to plug in my iPad to watch videos. The bathroom tub just seemed a bit dated. Not like 1980s Avocado green, just not as up to date as I have at home or see at other hotels.

Room service was very quick, and they even threw in a couple cookies and small glass of milk. Nice touch and very memorable.

The lobby bar was nice. I was able to get 2 for 1 drinks with a Foursquare check-in, plus it was happy hour when I checked in so they had complimentary Fried Mushrooms and Fried Cheese.

I ate breakfast at the restaurant on the second floor. It was only okay, despite the rave reviews I had read on a few sites. Pretty simple Eggs Benedict. Not much else to add.

The service was good in the hotel, room service, bar, and restaurant. Nobody stood out, but all were fairly personable and seemed genuinely interested in helping me.

If I find myself back in Milwaukee, I'd definitely consider the Intercontinental again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I am delighted to hear we remain on your list of places to stay in MKE. We are very excited about a new renovation project specifically targeting the bath areas that should be coming soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and, we hope to see you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed on Sept. 20th. There was a doorman or perhaps the bellboy? upon entering who greated us with a big smile and welcomed us in. Check in was smooth and the desk clerks were polite and professional. Our room was very nice, we had an executive king suite I believe. The room was very quiet and you couldn't hear the rooms next to you or above. The restaurant at the hotel is called the Kilowat. The food was excellent and the wait staff again were fabulous. We talked with the bartenders at the hotel bar called "Clear" I believe. They were great and we discussed how strigent and thorough they are when they hire at the Intercontinental. The locatation was great for the show we went to. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jennifertucker, Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for pointing out the attributes of our staff. They work hard and often go overlooked in reviews. It will give me pleasure to share this with them. It was wonderful to hear you used many of our facilities and liked them all. So happy you enjoyed your stay and; the next time you are in Milwaukee, we hope to have the pleasure of your company.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The lobby decor is very nice and impressive, as well as the fun mirror design in the elevators and even the hallway decor to the room. I guess those must have increased my expectations for the room though and as a result I was a little disappointed in the room decor because it was just so bland with tan everywhere. I wasn't at the hotel long and spent most of my time in the room when I was. So I was not pleased when I was laying in the bed and was then poked multiple times by what I believe were feathers from the bed which was otherwise very soft and comfortable. Trying to avoid being poked changed it's level of comfort for me though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Milwaukee, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear M V,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry the room decor and the bed conditions did not live up to your expectations . Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Milwaukee? Share your experiences!