“Fantastic, perfect, cool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
East Troy, Wisconsin
“Fantastic, perfect, cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

My sisters and I took a get away weekend and had a wonderful experience at the Iron Horse. The "cool" factor is high of course, but the staff made all feel very welcome. the staff was OUTSTANDING and accomodating to all of our needs, from wine glasses to the room, last minute reservation changes. Atmosphere, fun , masculine, industrial cool. Bartender more than accomodating wait staff, etc, we didnt want to leave. Juve, Ellie, Robert , Leo and the rest. You made our stay memorable and extremely fun.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

This hotel was AMAZING. Much cooler than even the places I have stayed at in Chicago. The friendliest staff ever encountered from the front desk to the cleaning staff to the bartender. Valets were really quick about getting the car. The bed was crazy comfy and the shower was the huge. I couldn’t ask for me. Do yourself a favor and stay here.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We picked this hotel based on location and the pictures on the website. It was a break from the normal hotel. We were celebrating our anniversary and were taking a “staycation” in Milwaukee. From the time we entered it was beautiful! They offered us a tasty beverage upon check in and then we went to see the room. The room was AMAZING!! Beautiful exposed brick, amazing bathroom with exposed frosted glass shower. It was perfect. They even left us a treat based on our preferences in the room. We are going back again next month to celebrate our anniversary and are staying 2 nights this year. It may be a yearly occurence!! Highly recommend to anyone & everyone

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I was visiting Milwaukee for business and was recommended to stay at the Iron Horse. My room was so great that I eventually moved one of my meetings back to my room so I could spend more time there and enjoy the amenities. I would highly recommend upgrading to one of the corner loft style rooms. Mine felt like a cool apartment with a sofa, wet bar, table and chairs, large flat screen TV. The decor is really cool and I loved the exposed brick walls and large murals. The bed was so comfortable and the linens were very fine and soft. The breakfast at the "Library" in the morning was beyond yummy. I had these huge and fluffy pecan pancakes with vanilla butter! We also enjoyed dinner at the Iron Horse and the food was first rate and super reasonable for quality we received. If you are lucky enough to find yourself visiting Milwaukee, do yourself a HUGE favor and book a room at the Iron Horse!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

My hubby and I live in the Milwaukee burbs, but wanted to do get out of the house for our anniversary night. Iron Horse was top on our list! It definitely meet and exceeded our expectations. It is on the pricier side (for Milwaukee), but worth every penny. We had excellent service, from the moment we called to reserve a room, through our stay. The hotel room was deluxe! Comfortable bed, great shower. Loved the decor. Its a hotel room unlike any other. The lobby and bar is always buzzing with activity, but never feels overwhelmed. Great service the entire time! Regretfully, we didn't get to try their restaurant, Smyth (we had reservations elsewhere). Luckily, since we live in town, I know we'll be back to try it another time.

Wauconda, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

Stayed at the Iron Horse over Columbus Day weekend due in part to the large number of positive reviews. Also, I was able to partake in the Beatles Rock Band promotion which gave you a great rate and the game.

We approached the hotel from the south and driving through the Walker's Point neigborhood on the way to the hotel, which made us wonder if you were going to right way because many of the buildings were run down and with signs in Spanish. However, the hotel sits on the edge of an area of town that is currently undergoing regentrification. The hotel is definately a positive thing in this area!!!

Like many have stated before, we were greated at the hotel by the friendly valet which is $25/night. However, I would NOT want to risk my car with in this neighborhood unattended (however, I didnt' feel unsafe outside at night). Throughout the stay we came and went many times and the valet staff was always friendly and quick. This definatley made me feel like I was getting value for the cost!

Check-in and out was a breeze. The staff was friendly both coming and going. The front desk is small and blend very easily into the main lobby and Branded bar. The staff was friendly and quick. They even offered a very nice welcome beverage during check-in

I was a little upset when I checked into the room because when making my reservation, I specifically asked for a room away from the tracks because of previous comments on this site. However, after speaking to one of the managers, they informed me that it created a little rumble, but the trains did not blow their horn. Having stayed there, I can concur with this statement...and neither my wife or I barley noticed the trains going by (the noise from the hallways was more noticeable). However, we were staying on the top floor which also helped.

For an upgraded loft room, I found it to be the size of many other hotel rooms I have stayed in (kind of disappointed paying an upgrade fee and and not getting much more room). I would have hated to stay in anything smaller. It was just the right size for the two of us.

The room had many nice ammenities and the mini bar was well stocked. However, I found the mini bar prices to be a little high ($3 + Room Tax for a 12oz can of Diet Coke), but not terribly outrageous. My only other complaint about the room is the wall without the mural seemed to have some weird stains on it when the light shown in (but not visible without natural daylight and from a head on view). Some of the wall had been touched up, but the whole wall should have been repainted.

The bed was really comfortaable. Two feather and two foam pillows were given in the bed. The Bed also had nice liens and and good duvet cover. We slept well for our first two nights away without kids for a really long time.

Many have commented about the bathroom before. I didn't have horrible complaints about the rain shower. Yes, pressure could have been better. The rain head also had some calcium build-up on it that needs to be cleaned . My biggest complaint about the shower is that it took so long for it to warm up. It was about 5 minutes before the water got hot. And, when it did, the bathroom started to steam up as there was no vent to clear the room of steam. The H20 ammenities were a nice touch though!

We had drinks at Branded one night while enjoying a game of pool. It was nice because the weather was so good that they had opened part of the front of the building for more fresh air. The bar was good and had a great selection of local brews. We also tried Smyth for lunch. The food was good, but after having eaten at the Lake Park Bistro and Maxie's the food was good but didn't seem at the level of those estabilishments. I was really disappointed in the beer cheese soup!. The BBQ chicken and cheese sandwich made up for it. The atmosphere of Smyth is really good, even down to the bathrooms. No wonder it one of the top 30 in Milwaukee.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned that much about this hotel is that its neighbor to the west on the roundabout is the Greatl Lakes Distillery. It is definately worth a visit to head over there to try flights of their spirits. They have a great staff to and take great pride in their products.

I know I have mentioned some negative items on here, but this really is a great hotel!!! I have stayed at many of the other Milwaukee hotels, including the Residence Inn, and this is by far the best stay you are going to get in the city of Milwaukee. The service is top notch, the rooms of are of high quality, and location is not bad. It would be a 4.75 on a 5 point scale for me!

Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

The other reviews say it all. This truly IS a great place to stay - comfort, style, and very friendly staff! Sharde a nice, big room with a friend and never bumped into each other. Appreciated free WiFi. We each had a massage at the Spa and had good massage therapists. Enjoyed a nice drink at the bar (again with very friendly waiter) and a delicious dinner at Smythe, where I recommend the spareribs - especially on a chilly evening!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!