“Wedding at the Iron Horse” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago
“Wedding at the Iron Horse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

Both husband and I grew up in Milwaukee and wanted to have our wedding there. We wanted a hotel that would impress our out of town guest coming from Chicago. There was only one, The Iron Horse. Not only was our wedding amazing and service was above and beyond, but the comments from guest staying at the hotel couldn't have been more favorable. I had many guests that travel for a living and stay at all the top hotels all over the country and they said that The Iron Horse was one of their favorites.

• Stayed October 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

In November of 2009 I hosted a 10 year class reunion at The Iron Horse Hotel. The reunion was a huge success because of the generous, accomodating group sales management and food & beverage department. The selection of food for our event was accommodating to beef eaters, vegetarians and vegans - it all tasted great!

What really sold our patrons was the atmosphere of the hotel. Upon entering the hotel the smell is inviting (sexy even) and staff is so gracious and professional. Branded, the bar, was relaxing and chill. Alot of us stayed in the suites post event and the rooms were outstanding! The rooms were clean, eco-friendly, had murals painted on the walls by a local artist which was intriguing and the room was filled with our favorite snacks and comfortable. I've stayed in various hotels in my travels nationally such as Kimpton Hotels, Hilton, Hyatts and Intercontinental and the Iron Horse Hotel by far is the best hotel I've done business with and stayed in.

I would and have recommended the Iron Horse Hotel to colleagues, friends and people looking for a great place for wedding receptions or reunions. It is worth the spend.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
mthurner
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I haven't actually stayed at the Iron Horse, so I can't comment on the cleanliness, location, etc. However, I have considered the Iron Horse in conjunction with the Harley Museum for the past 2 sales meetings I have hosted. Both times, I tried contacting the sales office and left numerous messages but never received a call back. After I finally reached a salesperson last year, I was told that the hotel had the rooms available, but could not block the 50-60 rooms that I needed. This year, they would have blocked the rooms, but were fickle on the price. After giving me the first rate, which I told them was $50 more than any other downtown hotel quoted, the saleswoman told be she was being 'tricky' and quoted $10 higher than she needed to. She then tried to push me into using their conference rooms, which I knew would be too small for my group. Overall: bad customer service on the front end when it matters most.

They've lost my $10K+/year in business.

Group planners: beware.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband and I wanted to do a small getaway in our home town to celebrate our 3 year anniversary and unwind together after the holidays. We had an amazing time! From the minute we pulled up and they valeted our car to welcoming us with a drink, to the amazing room and fabulous dinner at their restaurant. They exceeded our expections. We went to the Bucks game and came back to a buzzing lobby but with plenty of room in their lobby to relax and enjoy some of their amazing martini's. We will definetly be back! What a wonderful place that we get to take advantage of right in our own back yard!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I come to this hotel almost once every couple of months for business. Its about time i write a review. The staff here is always very pleasant and helpful. The rooms are huge,clean and the bed is amazing. The food is also good, a little bit too rich(creamy/buttery) for my liking, but it's fine. There is plenty of selection from the mini/snack bar and the 42" screen tv channels and movies. This is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Iron Horse. This is definitely my favorite hotel in Milwaukee. The rooms are large and very modern. The lobby bar is lively and has a nice drink selection. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We had one minor issue come up and the staff handled it like true professionals. I literally enjoyed this hotel so much I would come to Milwaukee (from Chicago) simply to stay at this hotel for the weekend. Also, I did not visit it, but the Harley museum is very close and there are lots of great restaurants and bars within a close taxi or bus ride.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
ironhorsehotel, manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Thank you for your glowing review! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your sharing the experience with others. You mentioned our fluted glass shower wall and we wanted ro assure you that these are only in our King rooms, not the double queens. And we track the market regularly and understand our valet parking cost is the same or less than many of our competitors. We hope you'll return and try Smyth on your next visit. "
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Stayed for a weekend in January for a wedding. Had other options, but wanted to give Iron Horse a look - and you should to. Everything from the attentiveness of the staff to the soap in the bathroom was top notch.

We chose the corner alcove room for a bit of extra space. From what we saw, all of the rooms were very similar - the corner alcove gives a bit more space along with a nice sitting area which is nice if you are there for more than a night or two. The mini bar was stocked with a variety of items including beer, liquor, wine and snacks. Many avoid the minibar due to prices, but these weren't too bad with a bottle of Miller Lite coming in at a restaurant-level $5. The room furniture was quite nice and the room overall had a warm feel with good decor - much like the lobby and rest of the hotel. The walls of exposed brick and high ceiling add a nice industrial touch. it was clear to us that they didn't cut a lot of corners when the outfitted the place.

Our bags were brought to our room by a nice guy from the lobby (we are assuming he worked there). This is something you'll see in many places - but this was the first time it didn't feel pushed on me or insincere. The beds are quite comfortable - as nice as any hotel I've stayed in. They provide both feather and foam pillows (in case you care) and the sheets/comforter were of expected high quality.

The bathroom is "cool" as I think many would say... and in some ways functional. The sinks are a bit odd and very shallow. Not a huge deal, but probably not a very functional design. The shower is very large with a rain styled shower head. Quite cool. It is definitely "sexy" (meaning you can see from the bedroom into the shower) in many of the King bedded rooms. They probably figured the Queen/Queen configuration would create some awkward mother/son moments. It is translucent... but not by a lot.

We ate a "light" dinner at the bar area - which was hopping for both a Friday and Saturday night while we were there. The food was served quickly and was quite good. We opted to not go to Smyth despite the great reviews and opted for the bar menu instead.

It really has an atmosphere that is above most lobby bars. It is a place I'd be happy to go if I lived in the area just for a night out. In the summer, they appear to have a very large outdoor patio and the rumor is that it is a fun place to be.

If you wanted to pick out a couple of negatives, I'd say location - although the proximity to 3rd/5th ward and their growing condos and commercial businesses, should improve that. If you are a biker, I'm sure this is similar to heaven, though, as you can walk to the Harley Hall of Fame. There is also a fairly heavily trafficked train track which can make for some noise from time to time.

I get to Milwaukee a few times every year either for work or for fun. I have traditionally stayed downtown (Residence Inn in the old department store has been the choice for years), but from now on we'll be choosing the Iron Horse. A bit more expensive (and $25 valet parking is slightly out-of-control for a hotel that has the open space available that they do in the location they are in), but well worth it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!