“A Beautiful Loft in Milwaukee” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
madison, wi
“A Beautiful Loft in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Stayed at the Iron Horse for my wife's birthday and had a great time. We had a slightly larger corner room, which was quite large. Lots of seating areas and a cool converted warehouse feeling. The bathroom was interesting with a walk-in shower and modern amenities. Got some food and later drinks at the bar and both were fairly good. The staff was exceptionally welcoming throughout our stay.
While it wasn't a problem for us, the hotel is a bit out of the way of downtown. The hotel also has some train tracks outside and one evening a train passed by. The tracks don't seems to get lots of traffic, but the train was fairly loud. Overall, a great stay and the best hotel I've stayed at in Milwaukee.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

My husband and I absolutely loved this hotel. It's near an attractive, gentrified section of downtown Milwaukee. The Iron Horse is a combo of luxury and edginess - it's casual yet elegant. Lovely high-ceiling rooms, "rain" showers in big bathrooms, a breakfast room you want to spend the day in - long iron common tables, fireplace, distressed leather sofas and wonderful coffee table books to peruse. The decor speaks of Harley's and railroad trains and sophistication all at once!

St. Petersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

We're two average sized, 190lb guys looking for a masculine, comfortable (which to us, means 'room to move around') stay in a non-chain-named hotel. This is it! First, they allowed for early check in...and since we were at our home airport before dawn leaving for Milwaukee, we were grateful we didn't have to wait around til 3:00pm.
The location of the hotel reminded me of Tribeca or Soho in New York City for Blue Collar workers. Old Factory restored brick, tall ceilings, large oversized windows, exposed ducts, beams and columns in the room made me want to light up a cigar and order brandy in the room; but the hotel is non-smoking (nice!) and I don't smoke anyway, but if I did...

The room #413 was right off the elevator. The view was perfect. Facing south, overlooking the huge temperature - time clock tower and the rest of the Walkers Point District - which was where we did most of our carousing. You might want to ask for a City view, but we liked the southern sun exposure warming the room and the unobstructed view. Without being an exhibitionist, you didn't need to draw the drapes at all. Windows were adequately tinted and paned to proved decent insulation.

Our room was huge. Enough room for two to stretch out on the floor, in the sleeping area, without banging into either queen sized platform bed. Beds were delicious with huge oversized leather headboards, multiple sized pillows, and large animal hide sitting benches at the foot of each bed. Large (larger that most boutique hotels) flat screen TV...and the kicker. a huge, tinted, faded oversized, photographic floor to ceiling mural of a contemporary angelic woman protecting you and your room. (Think : modern day Botticelli's Venus). Wonderfully soothing...

The continued masculine flair wasn't interrupted by a huge splash room area, with an oversized wooden bench so you can take off your boots and or riding gear and not have to walk across the carpet to hang them up. Bathroom was super! Oversized counter with 2 large sinks that make you think. Large, modern, open glass shower that could easily fit 4 humans with 'rain' and hand held shower heads.

All the lights, even in the bathroom, had dimmers on them to set any mood.

Room service was great. Food in the restaurant was very good and hearty (man sized) though the selection would not be too fitting for a couple of gals staying the week. But since this trip was a Man-cation, meat and drink were part of every manly meal. (And contrary to my description and tastes, there were two wedding receptions/parties occurring over the weekend we stayed; so there was enough charm even for the ladies.)

Staff, bartenders, waiters, were friendly and gracious. Location was perfect and the was room oversized (just the way I like 'em). Free wireless. The cost was way less than any boutique hotel I've ever stayed in. So I guess I have to find something I didn't like?

Well...knit picking, I'd have to say that parking was the *only* thorn at $25/day. (How much for motorcycles, I wonder?) But if you're clever and willing to walk a block, you could save that charge. The valet service was efficient and courteous so we didn't mind.

Enjoy!

SE WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

My husband and I celebrated a recent birthday of mine with Steely Dan tickets (Yea! That concert was awesome, too!) AND a stay at this hotel. From the moment you walk in until you leave, the staff is falling over each other to accomodate you and ensure your stay is the best. Get this-you walk up to the check in counter, and the staff member says, "We discourage and do not allow smoking, but we encourage getting the party started. Would you like a complimentary Lynchburg Lemonade?" (lemonade and bourbon, and NOT a watered down drink!) What a way to commence a stay! We loved the way this old mattress factory was gutted and rehabbed-lots of exposed wood and wrought iron in a very handsome and comfortable style. We had a king alcove room-sweet! We had pre-dinner drinks in the lobby area and watched the world come and go, and then had dinner at the restaurant on premises-Smythe. Gourmet level all the way! No complaints-nothing but raves for this location. We WILL return!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I travel to Milwaukee for business and pleasure at least ten times a year, and have stayed at all of the regular places (Hyatt, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Doubletree, etc.). A friend of mine recommended the Iron Horse, and after checking it out online, I decided to give it a try. BOY was I happy I did that!
As other reviewers have said, Yes, all of the amazing reviews are well deserved. From the architectural style of the outside of the hotel (an old warehouse), to the inside lobby and bar (tall ceilings with exposed beams, a great pool table, fresh fruit out for the taking, free coffee throughout the day made by the restaurant, complimentary internet, etc), it was extremely inviting. It felt like I had been transported to a loft in New York that had been fully furnished with a southwestern vibe of high end furniture. Big flat tv's, huge 2 sink bathrooms with a shower with a opaque wall, a giant desk, super comfy bed, etc. I really didn't want to leave this room once I got to it! Business or pleasure, it would be the perfect hideaway.
The service was top notch, and there was always someone asking me if I needed anything. At one point in my stay, I was sitting on a couch waiting for a friend in the lobby, when a staff member came up to me and brought me a tall glass of ice water. I asked him why he did that, and he said that just in case I was thirsty, they wanted to be sure I was taken care of. I LOVED IT! They were always trying to be one step ahead of me. Whether it be wanting a coffee, a drink, a tip for a restaurant, etc., they were on top of it. I truly believe that the staff of the Iron Horse was on par the Ritz Carlton or the Peninsula in Chicago.
All I can say to finish this is up, is just do it. Book the room. Get a high floor with a good view. And don't leave!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
MIlwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I just want to give a shout out to the female bartender(sorry I can't remember your name) working the bar Friday night. You made a fun night even more enjoyable with your exceptional service.

• Stayed November 2009
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Iron Horse, we could not have been more pleased. We were not sure about the all the reviews - thought maybe the place could not live up to the hype, but it is that good. The staff was always there, but not in the way. They also actually wanted to help you and with a smile too! The rooms were cool and industrial while managing to be warm and inviting at the same time.

I booked a 90 minute Signature Massage, and the whole experience could not have been better. From booking to the treatment rooms to the massage - it hit all the marks.

We had several drinks at Branded - this bar is fun, loud and cool with great signature cocktails. On Friday night we ate at Smyth, the onsite restaurant, and wow is all we could say. Great service and the food could not have been better - worth a try even if you are not staying at the hotel. Finally we also had breakfast in-room and in the library. Both experiences were great and so was the food.

Overall we would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a fun, cool adult getaway in a town that has a lot of hidden gems to offer those willing to visit!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!