“An Excellent Place to Celebrate a Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“An Excellent Place to Celebrate a Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life. The Iron Horse made my dear friends' wedding so very wonderful! As part of the wedding party I can attest to the outstanding service and professionalism of the entire Iron Horse staff; everyone we were in contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms and facilities had an amazing decor and emulated a vibe that totally matched the married couple. The bar had excellent service and tasty drinks. The food served during the wedding was delicious! The location and outdoor setup was immaculate and truly set the mood for a magical evening.

Thank you Iron Horse for making my friends so very happy and at ease during their wedding.

P.S. Sorry to the other rater who was disturbed by the music. The hotel was not only hopping because of our wedding, but the Iron Horse is also known for keeping their bar open well beyond midnight. When my husband and I left near 1am, there was plenty of party still happening on the first floor indoors, and this did not at all include wedding guests. I don't think the music was obnoxious or horribly loud, but I suppose you can't please everyone!

• Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Everything about our stay at the Iron Horse was amazing. Although it was more expensive than I would normally spend on a hotel, the food was amazing, the rooms were incredible and our every wish was accounted for by the friendly, attentive staff.

Thank you so much for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Our corner alcove room was huge and really well appointed with lovely views. We noticed there was an outdoor wedding set up 4 floors below, but didn't think too much about it when we checked in at 4pm (we should have!).

We really liked our drinks and the setting in the lobby bar (Branded), then went to the in-hotel restaurant Smyth which was incredibly disappointing. We had 7:30 reservations, were seated around 7:50 (fine), but didn't see our waiter to order wine until 8:20. Our appetizers (a disappointing and expensive seafood tower, which was more of a platter) didn't arrive until after 9. We finished our entrees around 10, and ultimately passed on dessert because our waiter forgot about us again. It was very nice that the waiter took 20% off our bill without us saying anything, but it was a disappointing $200 dinner.

Then, when we were up to our room around 10:15, the music from the outdoor wedding was blaring--even though there were only 2 people on the dance floor. I wasn't sure why they placed non-wedding guests on the side of the hotel that faced the outdoor patio--there were 3 other sides of the building that would have been much quieter. I called down to the front desk at 11:45 to ask when the DJ would be cut off and he assured me it would be soon--it was close to 12:30am before the party wound down.

I appreciate that the hotel wants to make it's wedding parties happy and the outdoor patio was beautiful, but between the 2.5 hour 2 course dinner and the noise disruption in our room, our stay was a big disappointment, especially when the room goes for $260 and dinner was $200. We did mention the noise again at the front desk upon checkout the next morning.

Before your stay, definitely ask for a room that does NOT overlook the outdoor patio. Wish we would have known--I think we would have had a great time if we had been able to have a quiet romantic evening.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

I was In Milwaukee for a friends wedding and was not sure where to stay. As always I looked on Trip Adviser and could not believe the abundance of positive reviews so I booked my stay. Everything I read was true and more. From the minute I walked in the door until the exit to the airport I could not have been more impressed. The rooms are large, immaculate and spacious. The staff genuinely friendly and helpful and the dinner I had in Smyth was one of the best dining experiences that I have had in a very long time. Try the Scallops! (melt in your mouth). I was quite surprised at how much nightlife happens at night in this hotel, there is a huge outdoor bar that had several hundred people enjoying the night away. I have to come back to Milwaukee on business this fall and can not wait to stay at this property again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Hi,

Our bachelorette party of 16 girls picked Ironhorse so we could have a one of a kind experience for the brides special event. We are all working professionals and had the money to spend on this boutique hotel. The majority of us live in Chicago. The bride and I have lived in Milwaukee before so we were familiar with the area and scene.

When we got to the location of the hotel we were disappointed it was not closer to the third ward bar scene. We were not able to walk to the bar scene or to downtown. You will definitely need cabs. Milwaukee is not a big cab city like Chicago so you need to call to get one. The hotel is in a turning neighborhood area. Also, don't park by the hotel ($25- Chicago prices) ...there is free street parking steps away on the street.

We had been treated rudely and watched by management due to being a bachelorette party. The bride wore a veil etc. It had made our group uncomfortable to the point that many of us retired to our rooms earlier due to the harassment we felt from management. We had never yelled or screamed and were sipping our drinks in a couch configuration. The management had took the life out of the celebration. No one from management even congratulated the bride... I can't tell you how disappointed we were. We chose Ironhorse for a special experience and we received the opposite.

On a side note: I had lost my make up bag in my room. I left two separate messages on separate dates with housekeeping with no call back. Finally the third call was answered by the manager of housekeeping. He had no reason why I never received a call back. My make up bag was never recovered.

I had recently gone to upper management of Ironhorse to make a complaint about the overall poor service and experience. Management came back taking the side of the staff over what I expressed what transpired. I only was offered $50 in food coupons for the part of no call back from housekeeping...nothing was mentioned about the offering of the $50 for the poor experience. Upper management even handled this whole thing poorly. I won't ever go to this establishment again nor will the other girls. This hotel ruined our once in a life time event. My suggestion is you go to the Hyatt (gorgeous modern rooms and centrally located to the scene where you can walk to the theater, restaurants on the river, bars etc) and where customer service reigns. There are other options as well but I have stayed at Hyatt twice now and it is great. I can walk to everything., There is a bar at the top of the Hyatt hotel that has great views of the city, too!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
ironhorsehotel, Owner Tim Dixon at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2009
From the owner Tim Dixon : While we are known as having a very social and exciting lobby scene, we must preserve the integrity of our hotel in the interests of all of our guests. We regret that enforcing this standard has left a poor impression on the guest.
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

5 star all the way. From the time you pull up to the front doors, to the wow factor of walking in the lobby

I am looking forward to finding a way to go back to Milwaukee

One negative: WIFI was problematic to all our colleagues. We could not keep a connection. I now understand that I could have gotten a cable from the front desk

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Very nice rooms and nicer staff. We had a great time out on the deck. Paul from valet was great and so was Corie from the front desk .The food is also good,I had a great time I'll go back as soon as possible.Thanks again everyone at The Ironhorse.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!