“Pleasant stay - great patio - OK room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Toronto
“Pleasant stay - great patio - OK room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We recently stayed at The Iron Horse Hotel for three nights over a weekend. The hotel itself came as advertised - it has a modern, dark lobby with a bit of a motorcycle theme and exposed beams and some metal, reflecting its warehouse past. We opted for a larger room - although in retrospect it was a poor choice, because the room had a very poor layout and a big empty space in the middle of it. Although there was both a desk and two comfy chairs around a circular table, I would have expected a sofa or something to sit on to watch the TV, other than lying on the bed.

Quick note on the room - the furnishings were fairly comfortable - although generally it felt like they cut a few corners. The curtains were not real blackout curtains, so if you're a light sleeper, it's pretty annoying to wake up early because of the sun streaming through the cracks. The bathrooms were OK - although fixtures seemed like they were only of moderate quality. Also, as with a lot of other reviewers, they sort of don't provide enough towels which is exacerbated by the lack of turn down service. Finally, there is a bit of outside noise - and the walls/floors seem thin - luckily we didn't have loud neighbors, but we heard walking, and the occasional voice/clatter from next door or above.

That said, the outside patio bar was great - so no need to sit in your room watching TV. The food was great and a nice selection of beers with some good local microbrews. The service was OK - but not spectacular - which probably has more to do with training than the actual staff. On the Friday and Saturday nights, which are their busy nights, it felt like they overstaffed - so you would have staff chatting with each other, which is fine, except when you are trying to get served... We must have looked like locals, because every time we spent time there they just assumed we weren't staying at the hotel and never gave us a pen to charge to our room. Also the few times we ordered sandwiches, they never came with the McClure pickle as advertised, which was a disappointment as my wife actually purchases them by the case and we were hoping to see a friendly pickle.

To sum up - this is a good hotel, not awesome. If I could, I'd rate it a solid 3.5, but not higher. I'd recommend it for a night or two if you're passing through Milwaukee and a solid sleeper, mostly because the patio was so pleasant. It's dog-friendly which we could appreciate. With some room and service upgrades, I think it has room to improve (the front desk service and valet were both excellent - it was more the restaurant service that was subpar). Final note on the gym - it was serviceable, but more of an afterthought. The equipment seemed more home-grade than gym-grade - but everything seemed to work.

Room Tip: Our room had a lot of noise - maybe a higher floor?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear SksAdvntr-

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review of your visit to the Iron Horse Hotel. It appears that you share the same appreciation as we do for the hotels look and feel. The exposed wooden beams and industrial metal are meant to be a comfort while paying homage to the factory and warehouse history of the building. I would also agree that the outdoor patio is one of my favorite spots to enjoy at our hotel as well. I am glad to see that you enjoyed our food and beverage options. I appreciate your feedback in regards to your room and restaurant service details. In our consistent effort to improve our guest experience, customer feedback is the fastest way to ensure results. I will be addressing the items mentioned and working out improvements with our team. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other ideas you may have, or for any future reservation needs you may have.

Best Regards,

brisseeuw@theironhorsehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I took my husband here for one night to celebrate his birthday, and we both wished we could have stayed for an additional night. Everything was perfect - the decor in the rooms, the comfort of the rooms, the special touches just for motorcycle riders, Smyth Restaurant where we ate a very delicious dinner, The Yard where we enjoyed sitting outside, having a few cocktails and making new friends, the motorcycle parking and bike wash station, the friendliness of the staff, and most importantly, the customer service! It was top notch all the way!! We have stayed many places, from the cheapest to the most expensive, and we both agree this is the best place we ever stayed!

Cannot wait to find a reason to go back!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear DLilah-

I am glad that you found that the Iron Horse was a perfect way to celebrate your Husband's Birthday. It sounds like you got to experience much of what the hotel has to offer and I am very proud to see that you enjoyed your experience. I will make sure to share your kind words with our team. We will be looking forward to a future visit to Milwaukee and this time we too will be hoping you can stay for two nights.

Until Next Time,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Iron Horse isn't just "a great hotel for Milwaukee", it's just a great hotel. The location puts you within easy distance of the Third Ward and Walker's Point with all of their fabulous bar and restaurant options, but you don't need to leave the hotel for that if you'd rather stay in. The lobby bar offers a great atmosphere and fantastic drinks.

The decor perfect for the Harley theme of the hotel, but have no fear if you aren't arriving on two wheels, it's certainly not any kind of requirement. The place is clean and has been maintained so it feels as new as when it opened. If you're staying in Milwaukee, this would be my top hotel pick, hands down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Matt S-

Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very proud to see that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to see that you feel that our hotel would fit in anywhere as we strive to provide intuitive service that meets each guest individual expectations. That type of service is what allows our hotel to play host to Harley lovers, corporate travelers, or vacationers alike. We hope that you visit us again and please let me know if there is ever anything we can do to assist with a future reservation.

Safe Travels,

Sussex, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My daughter and I attended the Cher concert and stayed at The Iron Horse. Wonderful rooms, VERY clean and located in a very "hip" old neighborhood. Staff are courteous and seem to really care that you booked their hotel. The hotel itself is a real trip. A beautiful mix of historic and chic modern. I know I'm really dating myself but (if I'm not mistaken) I remember approx 50 yrs ago the building was a bed factory. WOW times have changed!!!! The staff is top notch and the guests are an interesting mix of people. You will NOT be disappointed in your stay at The Iron Horse!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Sandra S-

How was the concert? I have heard some good things from other guests who attended. Thank you for staying and sharing your story with us. It is great to see that you enjoyed our "chic modern" look. I agree with you that we do see a variety of guests in our hotel. I feel it is because our building and staff lead to many different travelers feeling comfortable here. I am proud to see that you enjoyed your time here as well. We will be looking forward to your next visit. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to assist.

Thank you again!

Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Iron Horse. We have lived in or near Milwaukee for many years and so don't often stay in hotels in the city but wanted to visit for this special occasion. The hotel surpassed my expectations in just about every way. We received a nice room upgrade for our anniversary and enjoyed great city views from the fifth floor. The bathroom was fabulous. Fantastic shower. We loved the decor - all the exposed brick, the furniture, everything. We enjoyed some drinks in The Yard and a wonderful dinner at Smyth and will definitely be back...maybe for my 50th birthday this summer. Thank you, Iron Horse, for a memorable celebration.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear MrsTibs-

Happy 25th Anniversary Milwaukee Friends! Thank you for choosing the Iron Horse Hotel for your special staycation celebration. I am very proud to see that you had a positive experience with us. I am also glad that you took the time to experience both the Yard and Smyth. Hopefully we become one of your favorite places for dinner or a causal hang out here in Milwaukee.

Cheers!

Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We have stayed at the Iron Horse several times and each one is better than the last!!
This time was for our 1 year wedding anniversary.
Any season...Always a great stay.
Staff is outstanding!!! Rooms are great!!
We love Milwaukee and we really love the Iron Horse!
M&M

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear mde4074-

Happy 1st Anniversary. Very exciting. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty to the Iron Horse Hotel. I will make sure to share your kind review with our "Outstanding" team. We will all be looking forward to many upcoming visits. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist.

Safe Travels,

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Outstanding hotel!!! My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. We both enjoyed a fantastic mid-week stay, which was a surprise for my wife. I treated us both to massages, which were incredible! One very minor glitch -- when we checked in, the room temperature was in excess of 100 degrees, due to a malfunctioning thermostat. When I called the front desk, they sent an engineer within 10 minutes, and still offered me a deep discount, which was not expected or accepted. When I checked out, they had removed the charge for our room-service breakfast. I live in Milwaukee, and often enjoy lunch or cocktails at the Iron Horse. I cannot recommend it any higher!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben R, Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear FallsWarrior-

Happy Anniversary! We are very glad that you choose to spend your special day with us at the Iron Horse Hotel. I apologize for the room temperature issue however I am proud to see that our staff was able to take care of you. I always love to hear from Milwaukee locals. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Until Next Time,