“One of the best hotels you will ever stay at.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“One of the best hotels you will ever stay at.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My fiancé and I first stayed at the Iron Horse a few years back and I have to say, it is one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed at. Since that first stay we've been to the Iron Horse a number of times and each stay has been great. The renovation of the historic building is top notch as are the spacious and comfortable rooms. The decor is beautiful, modern and classy and you might not find a more comfortable bed. The employees do a phenomenal job and although we've never brought our 80 pound lab, the bowl of milk bones waiting for him at the front desk is a great touch. If your a foodie or just enjoy a good meal, the dining can't be beat. I would highly recommend the brunch at Smyth! I've stayed at a lot of nice hotels around the country and the world and the Iron Horse ranks right up there with the Ritz, the Peninsula and any other "high end" place, for a much more reasonable rate. Guys, if your looking to impress a girl, bring her to the Iron Horse for a night. What else can I say, we love the place so much that on our most recent stay I asked my girlfriend to marry me and as a newly engaged couple we hope to spend a lot more time at the Iron Horse in the years to come.

Room Tip: We've stayed in a couple different rooms and they were all very nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and for coming to stay with us over the years. One of these times you are going to have to bring your lab so we all can meet him. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Enjoyed spending Christmas eve and Christmas morning at the Iron Horse Hotel. Room was beautiful, service was excellent and really enjoyed having breakfast in bed. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. We love to hear that our guests had a great time with us and that you had exceptional service. Thank you again and have a happy new year!
CHI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel really lived up to the hype. very spacious rooms, clean, nice decor and great hotel ambiance. The friendliness and customer service was exceptional. From changing a reservation before arrival to the Christmas morning breakfast our trip was delightful. The staff went above and beyond, The bartender was able to pull some strings for us on Christmas morning by asking the kitchen to grant our request for a light breakfast in the bar(we missed the breakfast in the library because we slept in). He could have said no sorry but instead went above and beyond and made it happen. Not only was he smiling but he also had a great holiday sweater on. Now thats the spirit!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for spending your holiday with us. I am so happy to hear that the bartender was able to get you breakfast. Next time you come to Milwaukee we would love to have you back!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

For a Christmas gift for each other, my husband and I were looking for a mini getaway to celebrate our very first "just us" Christmas. "Just us" also included our mini schnauzer, Jack, who would also be traveling with us. We were trying to decide between staying at one of the dog friendly Kimpton Hotels in Chicago (which are also fantastic) and the Iron Horse Hotel. Since we have stayed in Kimptons before, we decided to check out the Iron Horse Hotel...and it definitely was not a difficult decision based on the stellar reviews we read and the stunning photos we saw. We stayed from December 23 (Festivus, haha) through December 25 (Christmas Day).

Ambiance - We LOVED every piece of decor of this hotel; we are huge fans of the "industrial" look and really appreciated every aspect and every detail. Our room, which was a corner alcove, had a brick wall, two huge windows, high ceilings (where you had that "loft" feel), thick curtains to block out the light, a stunning mural painted on the wall, and one of the most comfortable beds ever. In addition, we truly appreciated the "local" and historical aspects, such as the hotel itself being a historic, old warehouse renovated into a hotel...and that each room has a different local Milwaukee woman painted on the wall. We were right by the train tracks, and they do offer ear plugs if you are noise sensitive, but we never thought it was loud...and we actually thought the rumbling noise was comforting (we also live by the interstate). We enjoyed the rain shower as it was very relaxing. A lot of the food at this hotel was also local. It just seemed like there was a lot of thought and heart put into this hotel, which we instantly felt upon entering. The lobby was decorated so beautifully for Christmas with soft white lights, a plushy red velvet sleigh adorned with wrapped presents, gold, chocolate, and silver ornaments, candles, little trees...all of which complimented the soft leather couches, pillows, and overall look of the lobby. It was so comforting and relaxing. There is also the Library, where breakfast is also served, but has books to look at, a great sitting area, and a fireplace. This hotel really is stylish, sophisticated, yet cozy. We want to decorate our house this way! :)

Staff - From calling to make a reservation to the beginning to the end of our stay, we cannot say enough nice things about the staff. They were so helpful; they answered every question we had, were very accommodating, and even went out of their way to help us (one example is that I left my iPod, James checked the room, found it, and said he will be sending it back to me. Thank you, James)! They were prompt, courteous, but also laid back and gave you a very welcoming vibe. Thank you to Corey for offering us a great rate as well as working with us for a later check out so we could enjoy the Christmas brunch. Also, thank you to Jacob, who was serving us drinks/dinner in the lobby, as we thought he did a phenomenal job and were very pleased to know that someone outside of a part of Madison, WI, knows what a "duck fart" is. ;) Unfortunately, I cannot remember the bartender's name, but he was very sociable, great at his job, and served amazing drinks. My favorite was the chocolate chili martini. Room service was prompt and friendly. I also wish I could remember our server's name for the Christmas Brunch; he took amazing care of us. :) Everyone at this hotel was so kind and welcoming; we cannot wait to return!

Food and Drink - My husband and I are huge fans of locally grown food, and we were thrilled to see a listing of some of the vendors they use, such as Underground Meats, in addition to many other local vendors. We had some appetizers and dinner in the lobby and then room service from Branded, and the food was delicious...plus we always enjoyed food presentation. :) We also took advantage of the Christmas Brunch, which I think is also similar to their Route 66 Brunch. It was fantastic. It was a buffet of food that was perfectly cooked, and they even had items you could still order off of the menu. My husband was a huge fan of the venison, and I could not stop raving about the tiramisu pancakes (they are a MUST).

Dog Friendly - My husband and I consider our dog our "furbaby," or our child, and we were beyond thrilled at how dog friendly the Iron Horse Hotel is. Upon check-in, Jack's name was on the "V.I.Pooches" board that welcomes each dog. Next to this board were also bowls of water and dog treats. Our dog was welcome anywhere in the lobby (they should be leashed) but he truly enjoyed laying on the couches and was very happy. If you have your dog with you, they also have some tables and booths in the lobby so you can eat with your dog, which we thought was great and have not experienced this (indoors, anyway) anywhere else. Also, we were told if we needed them to, and if there were enough staff available, if we wanted to go out, someone could check on our dog. (Our dog has major separation anxiety, so we just kept him with us the whole time, but it was really comforting to know we had that option). Also, the staff all seem to love dogs; the dogs were always complimented, and a few of them knew Jack by his name. :) I definitely want to come back when it's warmer; I also think utilizing the outdoor patio (that I also believe is dog friendly) will be a lot of fun. Thank you, Iron Horse, for making our dog feel like royalty!

Parking - We did take advantage of the valet parking, which, quite honestly, was very nice to have. It is $25/night with unlimited in and out privileges. I will agree that it is probably a high rate, but we are used to paying rates like $48-$62/night when we stay in Chicago, so $25/night seemed reasonable. I have also read you can park on the street for "free," you just have to let the city know.

Around the area - I am not very familiar with Milwaukee; I know we were very close to a few things on the Riverwalk, Milwaukee's Public Market, some bars and restaurants, the Harley museum (which we're not big Harley people), art museum, and easy driving distances from other places, but due to the weather and the fact that we had our dog, we chose to take advantage of what the hotel had to offer.

My husband and I definitely want to return to this hotel. If you are looking for a "diamond in the rough" (or in the "ruff," if you are huge dog fanatics like we are), the Iron Horse Hotel ensured we had a relaxing, wonderful Christmas. So sorry for the long review, I just can't stop raving about the Iron Horse Hotel. Until next time! :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this amazing review. You have detailed so many things about our hotel that we hope all of our guests see and I am so appreciative for you doing that. We hope to have you back soon and even more so I hope that your IPod got back to you safe and sound.
Lake Barrington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Neat building, renovated mattress factory. Staff is great, friendly, well trained, efficient. It's like staying at a five star hotel. The food is wonderful & I'm always complimenting the chef. Great Sunday buffet. Near the Harley Davidson museum & the casino. I highly recommend this place for any length of stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We love dogs around here and a majority of our guests who bring their furry guys quickly realize that it is near impossible to get to the elevators through the lobby without an associate wanting to pet their dog. We hope to have you all back real soon!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel since it opened. My husband and I had been here before for a party and another time to check out the bar and have lunch.We took the opportunity to spend the night when his company booked their Holiday party at the Hotel. The room rates are high, but this was our present to ourselves. We were tourists in our own town. First of all let me comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We had experienced a plumbing situation at our home and were unable to use our shower. I called the hotel and we were assured that we could check in by noon! What a treat. That helped us to take full advantage of the property. We went to the bar and had a cocktail and lunch. Our server was friendly, outgoing, and attentive. She divided her time between the guests, and no one was slighted. We had the best grilled ham and cheese sandwich ever!
Our room was perfect, we overlooked downtown and the Harley Museum. Loved the extra large shower, and the in room amenities and decor were perfect.
That evening, following the party many of us moved to the beautiful lobby for a few more drinks. After chatting with friends, my husband and I went to the Library for some quiet reflection by the fireplace. We ended our evening with a delicious chocolate chili martini while sitting on a comfy couch listening to music and relaxing in the lobby. It was a perfect ending to the evening. I felt like I was on a relaxing vacation instead of only a few miles from home.
I would definitely recommend this property!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have the best view of downtown Milwaukee
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear that you were able to have such an amazing experience with us and still be so close to home. Whether you live 2 blocks or 2,000 miles away, we want everyone to have a great time with us. Thank you so much for the review and we hope to have you back with us again!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I recently traveled to Milwaukee on business and stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel. The hotel snob in me (I am lucky to stay in many Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, JW Marriotts, etc. on business) was wary of a place that's main selling feature was that it was next to the Harley Davidson Museum, but this was among the nicest hotels I have stayed in design-wise. The interior decorator for the hotel should win awards because it is modern, elegant, edgy and comfortable all at once - you see and feel this the second you walk in the lobby. The rooms are enormous with high ceilings and exposed ductwork, and the bedding is phenomenal (to me the true test of a really nice hotel). The hotel bar and restaurant was much better than your average "hotel bar" and it was nice to have something fun and good right on premises. Only minor complaint was the hotel had no shuttle service going back and forth to the museum or other local attractions, which most hotels of this caliber would offer. Even with that, I would still recommend this hotel heartily to both business and leisure travelers alike. It really is a stunning property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Iron Horse Hotel. We very much appreciate your kind posting. I will pass on to our entire staff your review. If you ever need anything in a future stay please don’t hesitate to ask. We can help with what ever you need. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!