“Great for business or pleasure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Chicago, Illinois
“Great for business or pleasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a beautiful, modern hotel just south of downtown Milwaukee.
The rooms are very updated and comfortable. The breakfast in the
library was very good. Very accommodating and pleasant staff.
The only option is to valet your car as there is no parking.
My only complaint would be certain rooms close to the train tracks can be
noisy. They have earplugs in the rooms, but when I have stayed on the other
end of the hotel you don't hear the trains.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you had problems with the train noise. As you said we do offer ear plugs but we want people to be comfortable regardless. Next time you stay with us let us know that you prefer to be away from the tracks and we will do everything we can to accomodate you.

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a girls weekend and stayed at the Iron Horse! It was an outstanding atmosphere with decor that was very well done. We ate breakfast at the Library and food was nice. Close to great restaurants. Very friendly and helpful staff. Only wish is that there is no other choice really besides valet parking and it was $25. Would definitely return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I am so happy to hear that you ladies had a great time with us! We would love to have you back next time you feel like getting away!
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Iron Horse is a nice hotel in Milwaukee. It's considered to be one of the best in the city, and likely it is but comparing it with hotels in other cities, IH is average. It's clean, and well located just 25 minutes away from downtown. The deluxe king room is spacious and nice. Food in the restaurant Branded was very good and service was excellent ! Free wi fi was surprisingly fast and reliable.
A negative factor, you can hear the train from the room, occasionally. It was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: I got the 502, great view...but you could hear the train occasionally.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We all very much appreciate the time you took to write us a review. Thank you and we hope to have you again!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I couldn't have had a better weekend and a large part of it was my experience at the Iron Horse. Holy sexy hotel! We were there over Halloween weekend and I was disappointed we already had evening plans - I can definitely say that the hotel bar/lobby is one of those unique places that you really could sit down with a drink and meet people. It was packed and had a great fun but not too crazy atmosphere. Definitely where all the locals are going.

My partner and I travel a lot and I love boutique hotels. While the Iron Horse isn't cheap by any means, it definitely competes with places we've stayed that are twice as expensive. Everything was perfect and I don't say that lightly. The rooms are gorgeous with the exposed wood and high ceilings - a very non-froofy masculine feeling that is refreshing. If you are an architecture lover you will LOVE this place.

Also want to say as an LGBT person I felt completely welcomed in that regard.

We will definitely be back.

Only complaint is the valet parking is ridiculously expensive. We parked on the street for free - just make sure to register your vehicle through Milwaukee's city website so you don't get a ticket (google Milwaukee overnight parking to see what I mean). We had no issue finding a spot within a couple of blocks on Friday/Saturday nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry to hear you couldn't hang out with us for our Halloween party. This year our theme was "Wicked Enchantment" and the staff all dressed up like wicked fairy tale characters. We are already planning for next year. Thank you for the review and maybe we will see you next Halloween but hopefully sooner!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is just a fun spot and you never feel like you are in yet another chain hotel. It is a modern, boutique hotel with eye candy at every turn. Everyone makes you feel welcome from the first minute to the last. Their valet parking is a bit expensive, but it is your best option. The room is modern and the shower is WONDERFUL. Even the sound of the train slowly going by right outside our window was sort of fun rather than annoying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
If it is one thing that we are not, its chain. We are proud to be unique and independant. We hope that our guests, both on 2 wheels or 4, have a great time with us. Thank you for the review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Super friendly staff, dog welcoming, large well appointed rooms with upscale bathrooms. Located in a nicely repurposed former mattress factory near downtown, a visit to the Iron Horse is an experience. One of my nicest hotel stays ever. Great food choices in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like someone told you the history of the building. From when it was built to today, the hotel has created so many wonderful stories that our staff love to tell!
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I visited the Iron Horse Hotel on business, and was overwhelmed by how friendly and helpful the staff was. When I pulled up after a long drive, the valet staff was right there helping me unload my bags. They set such a welcoming tone that I felt like I was visiting friends. When I left, they offered to give me directions to my next destination and threw away some trash in my car. The front desk staff continued the exceptionally pleasant tone throughout the stay.

My little dog was welcomed with such friendliness that he felt right at home. They put his name on a little chalkboard at the front desk, gave him a dog biscuit, and brought up a super comfortable doggy bed.

The decor of the lobby, bar, restaurant, and rooms was elegant without being pretentious. The room was beautiful and comfortable. I love that elements from the original factory that was once located there have been incorporated into so many aspects of design and decor. It makes for a unique hotel and re-purposing is good for the environment.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Our best asset is our people. They are the ones who take care of our people and make sure that The Iron Horse runs how it is supposed to every day. Thank you so much for mentioning them and come back to see us soon!

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!