“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I couldn't have had a better weekend and a large part of it was my experience at the Iron Horse. Holy sexy hotel! We were there over Halloween weekend and I was disappointed we already had evening plans - I can definitely say that the hotel bar/lobby is one of those unique places that you really could sit down with a drink and meet people. It was packed and had a great fun but not too crazy atmosphere. Definitely where all the locals are going.

My partner and I travel a lot and I love boutique hotels. While the Iron Horse isn't cheap by any means, it definitely competes with places we've stayed that are twice as expensive. Everything was perfect and I don't say that lightly. The rooms are gorgeous with the exposed wood and high ceilings - a very non-froofy masculine feeling that is refreshing. If you are an architecture lover you will LOVE this place.

Also want to say as an LGBT person I felt completely welcomed in that regard.

We will definitely be back.

Only complaint is the valet parking is ridiculously expensive. We parked on the street for free - just make sure to register your vehicle through Milwaukee's city website so you don't get a ticket (google Milwaukee overnight parking to see what I mean). We had no issue finding a spot within a couple of blocks on Friday/Saturday nights.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I am so sorry to hear you couldn't hang out with us for our Halloween party. This year our theme was "Wicked Enchantment" and the staff all dressed up like wicked fairy tale characters. We are already planning for next year. Thank you for the review and maybe we will see you next Halloween but hopefully sooner!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is just a fun spot and you never feel like you are in yet another chain hotel. It is a modern, boutique hotel with eye candy at every turn. Everyone makes you feel welcome from the first minute to the last. Their valet parking is a bit expensive, but it is your best option. The room is modern and the shower is WONDERFUL. Even the sound of the train slowly going by right outside our window was sort of fun rather than annoying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
If it is one thing that we are not, its chain. We are proud to be unique and independant. We hope that our guests, both on 2 wheels or 4, have a great time with us. Thank you for the review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Super friendly staff, dog welcoming, large well appointed rooms with upscale bathrooms. Located in a nicely repurposed former mattress factory near downtown, a visit to the Iron Horse is an experience. One of my nicest hotel stays ever. Great food choices in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like someone told you the history of the building. From when it was built to today, the hotel has created so many wonderful stories that our staff love to tell!
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I visited the Iron Horse Hotel on business, and was overwhelmed by how friendly and helpful the staff was. When I pulled up after a long drive, the valet staff was right there helping me unload my bags. They set such a welcoming tone that I felt like I was visiting friends. When I left, they offered to give me directions to my next destination and threw away some trash in my car. The front desk staff continued the exceptionally pleasant tone throughout the stay.

My little dog was welcomed with such friendliness that he felt right at home. They put his name on a little chalkboard at the front desk, gave him a dog biscuit, and brought up a super comfortable doggy bed.

The decor of the lobby, bar, restaurant, and rooms was elegant without being pretentious. The room was beautiful and comfortable. I love that elements from the original factory that was once located there have been incorporated into so many aspects of design and decor. It makes for a unique hotel and re-purposing is good for the environment.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Our best asset is our people. They are the ones who take care of our people and make sure that The Iron Horse runs how it is supposed to every day. Thank you so much for mentioning them and come back to see us soon!
Fernandina Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stay in several hotels every week. I would not say I am a picky traveler but by now I know what i like and don't like. I know where i will stay and not stay. And I am not afraid to change hotels if I don't like it. While my first attraction to Iron Horse was its' proximity to the HD museum, I was very very happy with everything about my experience. From valet parking to check in, to the modern rooms to the unique ambiance I was sold from the start. Of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in over the years I would put Iron Horse in the Top 10 for sure. I will return for a longer stay. Well done to all of the staff. Thank you for having the courage to do things differently. It's a winner!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the amazing review. My favorite thing about The Iron Horse is the people. We encourage everyone to be themselves and to have fun!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed two nights in mid-October. This is a great place. The room was large and well appointed. Cool mural on the wall, 42 inch HD Tv, a fancy shower with overhead nozzle. Large bathroom. The bed was marvelous.
Had drinks in the bar - very nice. Had breakfast in Smythe. Normally breakfast is in the library but there was a private event.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Although there is an emphasis on motorcyles (one is in the lobby) we didn't feel out of place at all. This hotel is for everybody.
Highly recommended.
We had two minor complaints.
Wi-Fi in our room (405) was awful. Couldn't connect half the time and had a weak signal when we could.
Parking is valet only for $25 per night. That seemed pretty expensive especially since this place is not downtown and is surrounded by quite a bit of open land.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are right above the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We have people from all backgrounds stay with us and we hope that each and every one of them is comfortable while they are here. I am sorry to hear about your issues with our WiFi. I can tell you that we recently installed boosters throughout the hotel to try and improve our signal. You should see a significant difference the next time you stay with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The name of the hotel, Iron Horse, threw me off a bit until I learned it was a term used to refer both to a locomotive and a motorcycle. This seemed fitting as the building is right next to an active freight train track and is within view of the Harley-Davidson museum. Considering this boutique hotel received decent reviews and was in an interesting part of the city, I decided to book a trip here with 3 other friends and had no regrets.

Reserving the room online was easy enough through Iron Horse's website. Prompt email confirmation was received as was a reminder email several days prior to our arrival. The reminder email was a nice surprise and made me wonder why other hotels I've stayed at didn't provide something similar.

Upon arrival, we were quickly checked in and provided a complimentary punch cocktail. The front desk staff was professional and friendly, providing casual conversation and suggestions on local spots to visit. I was impressed with the lobby area--dark and warm colors with comfortable-looking seating.

Our room on 4th floor overlooked the train tracks and provided a view of the Harley-Davidson museum and city skyline. Initially I was concerned with being directly above the active train tracks, however, the hotel provides complimentary ear plugs for light sleepers (which I utilized). Looking back I realize I quite possibly didn't even need to use the earplugs since the trains' rumble was not that jarring.

The queen size beds were quite comfortable, the room was rather spacious, and the decor was very masculine--dark colors, hard/industrial materials, and a great wall mural. The mini-bar was sufficiently stocked and reasonably priced. The bathroom was a good size and the complimentary shampoo/soap/lotion were better than average. The only complaint with the bathroom (as noted by another reviewer) is that you have to step under the showerhead to turn on the water causing a brief shock to the system when cold water comes out. This was just a very minor inconvenience and didn't detract from our overall stay.

We had an evening cocktail in their bar and felt quite comfortable. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. We did not eat in the restaurant as we wanted to venture out to local eateries.

Overall, I would completely recommend Iron Horse Hotel to anyone I know visiting Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the amazing review! To hear that you had such a great time tells me that we are doing things right. Thank you again!