“Incredible People!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Greenville, South Carolina
“Incredible People!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I visited the Iron Horse Hotel on business, and was overwhelmed by how friendly and helpful the staff was. When I pulled up after a long drive, the valet staff was right there helping me unload my bags. They set such a welcoming tone that I felt like I was visiting friends. When I left, they offered to give me directions to my next destination and threw away some trash in my car. The front desk staff continued the exceptionally pleasant tone throughout the stay.

My little dog was welcomed with such friendliness that he felt right at home. They put his name on a little chalkboard at the front desk, gave him a dog biscuit, and brought up a super comfortable doggy bed.

The decor of the lobby, bar, restaurant, and rooms was elegant without being pretentious. The room was beautiful and comfortable. I love that elements from the original factory that was once located there have been incorporated into so many aspects of design and decor. It makes for a unique hotel and re-purposing is good for the environment.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Our best asset is our people. They are the ones who take care of our people and make sure that The Iron Horse runs how it is supposed to every day. Thank you so much for mentioning them and come back to see us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Fernandina Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stay in several hotels every week. I would not say I am a picky traveler but by now I know what i like and don't like. I know where i will stay and not stay. And I am not afraid to change hotels if I don't like it. While my first attraction to Iron Horse was its' proximity to the HD museum, I was very very happy with everything about my experience. From valet parking to check in, to the modern rooms to the unique ambiance I was sold from the start. Of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in over the years I would put Iron Horse in the Top 10 for sure. I will return for a longer stay. Well done to all of the staff. Thank you for having the courage to do things differently. It's a winner!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the amazing review. My favorite thing about The Iron Horse is the people. We encourage everyone to be themselves and to have fun!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed two nights in mid-October. This is a great place. The room was large and well appointed. Cool mural on the wall, 42 inch HD Tv, a fancy shower with overhead nozzle. Large bathroom. The bed was marvelous.
Had drinks in the bar - very nice. Had breakfast in Smythe. Normally breakfast is in the library but there was a private event.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Although there is an emphasis on motorcyles (one is in the lobby) we didn't feel out of place at all. This hotel is for everybody.
Highly recommended.
We had two minor complaints.
Wi-Fi in our room (405) was awful. Couldn't connect half the time and had a weak signal when we could.
Parking is valet only for $25 per night. That seemed pretty expensive especially since this place is not downtown and is surrounded by quite a bit of open land.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are right above the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We have people from all backgrounds stay with us and we hope that each and every one of them is comfortable while they are here. I am sorry to hear about your issues with our WiFi. I can tell you that we recently installed boosters throughout the hotel to try and improve our signal. You should see a significant difference the next time you stay with us.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The name of the hotel, Iron Horse, threw me off a bit until I learned it was a term used to refer both to a locomotive and a motorcycle. This seemed fitting as the building is right next to an active freight train track and is within view of the Harley-Davidson museum. Considering this boutique hotel received decent reviews and was in an interesting part of the city, I decided to book a trip here with 3 other friends and had no regrets.

Reserving the room online was easy enough through Iron Horse's website. Prompt email confirmation was received as was a reminder email several days prior to our arrival. The reminder email was a nice surprise and made me wonder why other hotels I've stayed at didn't provide something similar.

Upon arrival, we were quickly checked in and provided a complimentary punch cocktail. The front desk staff was professional and friendly, providing casual conversation and suggestions on local spots to visit. I was impressed with the lobby area--dark and warm colors with comfortable-looking seating.

Our room on 4th floor overlooked the train tracks and provided a view of the Harley-Davidson museum and city skyline. Initially I was concerned with being directly above the active train tracks, however, the hotel provides complimentary ear plugs for light sleepers (which I utilized). Looking back I realize I quite possibly didn't even need to use the earplugs since the trains' rumble was not that jarring.

The queen size beds were quite comfortable, the room was rather spacious, and the decor was very masculine--dark colors, hard/industrial materials, and a great wall mural. The mini-bar was sufficiently stocked and reasonably priced. The bathroom was a good size and the complimentary shampoo/soap/lotion were better than average. The only complaint with the bathroom (as noted by another reviewer) is that you have to step under the showerhead to turn on the water causing a brief shock to the system when cold water comes out. This was just a very minor inconvenience and didn't detract from our overall stay.

We had an evening cocktail in their bar and felt quite comfortable. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. We did not eat in the restaurant as we wanted to venture out to local eateries.

Overall, I would completely recommend Iron Horse Hotel to anyone I know visiting Milwaukee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the amazing review! To hear that you had such a great time tells me that we are doing things right. Thank you again!
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Iron Horse. It is just a unique place. First and foremost, I just LOVED the decor! The industrial vibe is just super cool. Dark leathers mixed with iron and steel beams and brick walls,,,gah! Totally did an awesome job with the decorating! The bed was super comfy and shower was large. Huge mini bar and snack selection. A couple negatives-luckily it didn't affect my sleep but when the man in the room next to me checked in, he called his wife and I could hear his whole conversation. And also in the am when first his cell phone alarm, then his wake up call and lastly the room alarm went off, I heard them all! I think this may have been because of the adjoining room door between our rooms. That was the only noise I heard while I was in my room. Since this hotel allows dogs and I saw quite a few, I was surprised that I didn't hear any barking. People even had dogs in the bar! I didn't even hear outside noise. The other negative we're the drink prices in the bar. The drinks were good and well made but $15 for a margarita full of ice I steep by any standard. I had two and wasn't even close to tipsy and I'm a lightweight. I think for that price they should have been a stronger drink. The bar food was awesome and well priced for the quality. I didn't get to try Smythe since I was there on a Sunday and they are closed. I had breakfast in The Library and wasn't at all impressed. I'm not a breakfast eater but thought I would try it since it got good reviews. I ordered an egg white omelet that was supposed to have roasted veggies in it. The veggies were raw and the omelet was super oily. The whole point of ordering and egg white omelet is reduced calories. I don't think you want it to be oily! It also came with fruit that looked like it had been in a bowl for a few days or possibly previously frozen. The best part of the meal were the coffee and toast. The bill was around $20 for just me! Pretty ridiculous! I would stay there again if I got a decent rate but wouldn't waste money on breakfast. I also wouldn't hang out in the bar again because of the prices but it would be a nice place to end the evening and have one before bed. The service in the bar was great and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
I am happy to hear that you had a great time with us with the exception of a few bumps along the way. We strive to always be on top of our game and to hear that we left you with a bad breakfast impression is something that we would like to correct. Thank you for letting us know and I hope next time you stay with us it will only be smooth sailing.
Neenah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I could, I would have provided a rating of 3.5. Lets begin with the team. They were all perfect - from the time we called to make a reservation to check out. Well done! During our stay, the hotel was really lively, so if you like that the Iron Horse is for you. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. It reminded me of Hotel Monaco during their wine hour in the afternoon. And like Hotel Monaco, The Iron Horse is pet friendly and they list the names of the pets that are staying. We encountered two issues. One was a wedding part that made a huge amount of noise at 2AM. Not the hotels fault - I'm sure they hate this as well. Customers know there could be issues, so its how an organization deals with it that really matters. The staff took $100 off our room for the inconvenience. They also apologized. Apologies go a long way and I'm always surprised when one isn't offered. The second issue was an unclean toilet upon check in (and I mean unclean without getting into details). Our room was nice, very loftish, but you could hear toilets flushing from other rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was excellent. You can't park your car yourself and parking is $25 so keep that in mind. In summary, I recommend the Iron Horse Hotel for business or pleasure. Staff... keep up the excellent service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am so sorry to hear about the issues that you had with your stay but I am so happy to hear that our wonderful associates did such a great job making it right. I hope that you will stay with us again and see how we are truly a five star experience.
San Francisc0
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Overall, the Iron Horse Hotel is very nice. There are, however, a couple things that I would've appreciated knowing prior to staying there. They may not apply to everyone. The shower is lovely, rainhead overhead fixture and a hand held as well. The issue is that in order to turn either of them on, you need to be in the shower. The doors of the shower are glass on both sides which are lovely, however, you enter through an opening on the opposite side of the faucets. So there's no way to avoid getting soaked with cold water. Additionally, because the floor has a slight slope to it, the water gathers in the back half of the shower and doesn't drain. Again as you exit the shower when finished you're walking through a puddle of cold water.

Room service is very uneven. Service is reasonably prompt, and the menu is great, however, the presentation is lacking. The soft drink I ordered with dinner was served in a can; no ice, no glass. For a $50 burger and salad, I want a glass. For breakfast, same kind of lack of attention to detail. At this type of hotel, I want real cream or milk for the coffee not disposable containers of pseudo creamer, and I want a spoon to stir the coffee, not a plastic straw. I'd like butter to be room termperature and in a container, not foil wrapped packets.

On the plus side, the staff is super helpful, attentive, and friendly. The decor of the hotel is killer, and the rooms are comfortable, spacious, all the technological goodies. I never heard a train or any other noise; I was on the top floor in a king deluxe room.

For a one night stay of $350, I would've expected an experience more along the lines of the high end Park Hyatt or Hyatt Grand, or JW Marriott -- as it was, I'd go back when I return to Milwaukee, though I don't feel as revved up about the hotel as most reviewers. Perhaps I'm just picky!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I have already passed along your comments to our Food and Beverage team so they can look at how to improve the overall In Room Dining experience. Constructive comments such as yours go a long way in helping us improve. Thank you again.

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!