“A boutique hotel... like Hotel Monaco (I've stayed in 4 different ones)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Neenah
“A boutique hotel... like Hotel Monaco (I've stayed in 4 different ones)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

If I could, I would have provided a rating of 3.5. Lets begin with the team. They were all perfect - from the time we called to make a reservation to check out. Well done! During our stay, the hotel was really lively, so if you like that the Iron Horse is for you. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. It reminded me of Hotel Monaco during their wine hour in the afternoon. And like Hotel Monaco, The Iron Horse is pet friendly and they list the names of the pets that are staying. We encountered two issues. One was a wedding part that made a huge amount of noise at 2AM. Not the hotels fault - I'm sure they hate this as well. Customers know there could be issues, so its how an organization deals with it that really matters. The staff took $100 off our room for the inconvenience. They also apologized. Apologies go a long way and I'm always surprised when one isn't offered. The second issue was an unclean toilet upon check in (and I mean unclean without getting into details). Our room was nice, very loftish, but you could hear toilets flushing from other rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was excellent. You can't park your car yourself and parking is $25 so keep that in mind. In summary, I recommend the Iron Horse Hotel for business or pleasure. Staff... keep up the excellent service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about the issues that you had with your stay but I am so happy to hear that our wonderful associates did such a great job making it right. I hope that you will stay with us again and see how we are truly a five star experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
San Francisc0
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Overall, the Iron Horse Hotel is very nice. There are, however, a couple things that I would've appreciated knowing prior to staying there. They may not apply to everyone. The shower is lovely, rainhead overhead fixture and a hand held as well. The issue is that in order to turn either of them on, you need to be in the shower. The doors of the shower are glass on both sides which are lovely, however, you enter through an opening on the opposite side of the faucets. So there's no way to avoid getting soaked with cold water. Additionally, because the floor has a slight slope to it, the water gathers in the back half of the shower and doesn't drain. Again as you exit the shower when finished you're walking through a puddle of cold water.

Room service is very uneven. Service is reasonably prompt, and the menu is great, however, the presentation is lacking. The soft drink I ordered with dinner was served in a can; no ice, no glass. For a $50 burger and salad, I want a glass. For breakfast, same kind of lack of attention to detail. At this type of hotel, I want real cream or milk for the coffee not disposable containers of pseudo creamer, and I want a spoon to stir the coffee, not a plastic straw. I'd like butter to be room termperature and in a container, not foil wrapped packets.

On the plus side, the staff is super helpful, attentive, and friendly. The decor of the hotel is killer, and the rooms are comfortable, spacious, all the technological goodies. I never heard a train or any other noise; I was on the top floor in a king deluxe room.

For a one night stay of $350, I would've expected an experience more along the lines of the high end Park Hyatt or Hyatt Grand, or JW Marriott -- as it was, I'd go back when I return to Milwaukee, though I don't feel as revved up about the hotel as most reviewers. Perhaps I'm just picky!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. I have already passed along your comments to our Food and Beverage team so they can look at how to improve the overall In Room Dining experience. Constructive comments such as yours go a long way in helping us improve. Thank you again.
Darien, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

As soon as you walk in, the rich dark interior welcomes you. The lobby is eclectic with gears, pallet tables and velvet chairs. We were offered a Strawberry Margarita upon checking in. The comfort extends to the rooms. Large shower with extra large rain shower and thick terry cloth robes. Because of some train tracks, ear plugs were provided but I only heard one train early Sunday morning and if I wasn't already awake, I never would have heard it. Smart Sexy hotel, we will definitely come back.We enjoyed the Sunday brunch-it was one of the best brunches we have ever had.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Our Route 66 Brunch is really one of the most unique brunches I have come across. The tiramisu pancakes are amazing! I am happy to hear you enjoyed it along with the rest of the hotel.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Iron horse for a few nights this summer. Really cool place with unusual decor in the rooms. The murals on the walls are really something. the rooms reminds me of a New York city loft. Location is great just over the bridge from the Harley Davidson Museum. Parking is free if you are on your motorcycle. The hotel is very classy catering to the business man and at the same time the biker. I recommend this hotel anytime you stay in Milwaukee

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the review. The murals in the room are one of a kind and I love how they celebrate the women of Milwaukee. Should you come back to Milwaukee we would love to have you back!
kona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

There are too many cool details about this hotel to list them all, from the valet bike parking to the vintage Harley's in the lobby all the way to the sexy room key cards. We had a blast at this place celebrating our anniversary while working on the road. We talk about it all the time and can't wait for another excuse to go stay. Our room was perfect and the next day we spent a great day working downstairs in the library and later over in the bar. I was relieve and very pleased to find that they have excellent options for cyber-commuting. The staff were outstanding. They took great care of us from beginning to end and even offered to bring our lunch to us where we were working. It really was the perfect hotel stay.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Wireless connections have become a necessity and we recognize that. That is why we offer wireless at no charge to all of our guests who stay with us or are just looking to get some work done in a laid back, stylish enviornment. Thank you for the review and we will see you next time!
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I can tell you many wonderful things about the Iron Horse. How the rooms are uber comfy, how the service is phenomenal and the food delicious. But what I really want to tell you about is Dan the Man. The best cocktail slinger West of the Mississippi. I wish I could pack him up in ny luggage and take him home. Thank you, Dan. You truly are The Man.

Room Tip: 4th floor rocks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for telling the TripAdvisor world about Dan. He has been with us a very long time and is a great guy to work with. I made sure to tell him about your review.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had a phenomenal experience at this hotel. The attention to detail - from logo clothes hooks in the room to the decor of the lobby and bar - was impressive. The staff was outstanding - going out of their way to make our stay one of the most enjoyable hotel experiences ever. Congratulations to the Iron Horse!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I love the hooks that we have. They are all custom made and you can find them throughout the hotel and in our rooms. What is really great about them is that they were designed to hold 90 pounds, sturdy enough to support even the heaviest of leathers. Thank you for the review and we will hopefully have you with us again soon!

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!