“Just about the best boutique hotel in the US---or maybe it IS the best?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Just about the best boutique hotel in the US---or maybe it IS the best?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I get a kick out of trying out different highly rated boutique hotels in different cities as a fun weekend get away, so when a friend suggested Milwaukee and the Iron Horse and we checked the reviews, Conde Nast, etc, we quickly made reservations. We weren't disappointed---AMAZING hotel. Cool, friendly, comfortable, hip---the list kept growing as we settled in and continued to grow as we stayed. In fact, the city has a lot to offer but we hated leaving the property since we were so happy right there. We found ourselves happily sitting in the lobby/cozy-hip-living-room to people watch. Our room (603) was great as it overlooked the city skyline, and we could hear the rain pitterpat on the roof during a rain storm. The IH even supplied ear plugs lest you were bothered by the very real railroad screaming by at night---we weren't because strangely it added to the ambiance. LOVED the bar too. Restaurant (Smyth) was okay---a little unnecessarily stuffy but the food was good. I will add that my husband is a guys-guy so the masculine feel of this place made him feel right at home---there have been places we have stayed where he seemed afraid to touch anything lest it break but this place with its leather covered headboards, solid wood benches and glistening gears on light fixtures made him feel right at home. LOVED IT.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the review. Hopefully next time you come to Milwaukee you will have a chance to explore the city a little more but if you want to stick around with us, that is ok too. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Stonewall, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

If you are a motorcycle buff , this is the place to be. The staff is great and it is the place to be. The Harley museum is a short walk or ride from the hotel. The yard is always happening and the parking lot has plenty of cool rides. See you 2013 at the 110th anniversary party.

• Stayed September 2012
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
If you like bikes you have to check out our Bike Night on Thursdays during the summer. Every week we feature a different bike and we always have a good time. Thanks you for the review!
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

First off, I didn't get to stay overnight here. The Iron Horse was the destination of a recent business convention and they booked up so fast, I had to stay elsewhere, which was not only a disappointment, but a huge inconvenience for me. So, I was not a happy camper when I walked in. The problem was, they fell over themselves being so nice to me that I tried to stay mad, but couldn't. We had a very tight schedule all day Thursday that went late into the evening, so I called my other hotel for a late check-in (which was The Hilton downtown Milwaukee, see that review too). I decided to leave my truck at the Iron Horse Hotel and take a taxi to the Hilton later on, this saved me on another parking fee. The parking attendant guys were the nicest guys ever, opening the door, greeting you, they pulled up my truck at the end of the night, got my luggage out, called the taxi all with a smile. It doesn't end there, the next morning, they pulled up my truck again, put my luggage back in and re-parked the truck until 2:00 Friday afternoon, all for $24.00. These guys not only deserve good tips, but made an unhappy person feel a whole lot better. Being a woman, alone in an unfamiliar city, they made me feel at home. I truly wished I could have stayed there, everyone was commenting on how comfortable the beds were, so I did have to pout a little. At the end of Thursday evening our convention had free drink tickets in the bar. I tried talking to some of the folks in our group, but was just feeling sorry for myself and sat at the bar, well the bartender was like an entertainer, before long I was laughing and having fun watching all that was going on in this very busy bar and how they handled it all. This boutique hotel is first class, but laid back, which is exactly what I liked most about it - it feels like home. The lunch they served was excellent too. I will be back and next time I'm staying there! They are dog friendly too, biker friendly. It's just the coolest, hippest place and I'm bringing my girlfriends for a girls get away. We usually stay in downtown Chicago, but the parking and room fees are getting to be a little too much and this is closer to home for me. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Book well in advance of your stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I can honestly say that our Valet team are some of the nicest people around. I am so happy that they turned your day around. Hopefully you will stay with us next time you are in town!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My trade association met in Milwaukee last week. Since many of the meetings were at Iron Horse, several of us stayed there as well. What a wonderful experience! All the staff were so friendly and helpful, the food we had was very good, and the lobby and rooms were outstanding! One of the owners of the hotel spoke with us to explain their renovation of this historic building - built in 1907. When renovation was underway, wonderful wooden beams and 18 inch posts were uncovered, hand-sanded and saved, adding to the charm of the finished product. Each of the 100 rooms has an enlarged photo mural of a Milwaukee woman which has been hand embellished by the artist. The bed was comfortable and the decor (especially the shower) was very unusual and added to the boutique quality of the hotel. Drinks were expensive - but that was to be expected in such a high-end hotel. My only complaint was the toilet paper - not as soft as one would expect in such luxury. OK - so I'm fussy! The hotel was planned with bikers as well as business people in mind. Jeans, leather and business suits are all acceptable attire. The motorcycle in the lobby was beautiful - plus the Harley Davidson museum is within walking distance. We'll be certain to return.

Room Tip: I think any room would be a great choice. I understand there are corner suites which are even larger...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. It really is a beautiful building. I hope you stay with us again when you visit Milwaukee next!
Kewaskum, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked a night at the Iron Horse for the night after our wedding. We live in WI but had never stayed at the Iron Horse. I have to say we thought it was amazing!! I travel quite a bit all over the country for work and this is my favorite hotel! It is so unique, the rooms are very cool without being over the top modern. We want the bed and pillows in our room. They were so comfortable!The staff was very nice and Bonnie was very helpful. Since our stay less than a week ago I keep telling all of my friends that a night at the Iron Horse is a MUST DO!! Thank you for making our wedding night stay extra special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations and thank you for spending your wedding with us! I will make sure that Bonnie sees your comments and we hope to have you with us again.
Potomac,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is great.Great service by everyone. Every employee had a smile on their face and an attitude asking what else can we do for you. The room was great. we had a top floor room with high ceilings open venting anf a beautiful bath.If you are looking for a hoted near th HD museum this is the one. Although it caters to motorcyclists anyone would feel welcome. the hotel features a restaurant, bar and patio. we ate at the bar and the food was good.

Marvin W

Room Tip: Try a room on the top floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this review. Thank you so much!
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed one night at the Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee. There are plenty of things I could say about the place—some pro and some con—but the two I will mention strike me as very important. Two things seem paramount: at a hotel one should be able to sleep when tired, and the hotel should be clean.

The walls in the hotel, at least in certain places, must be fairly slim. At 1:30 in the morning I began to hear talking an adjacent room. I waited a while for it to stop, but when it didn’t I put on the earplugs that we found in the room when we arrived. The flyer behind them indicated that they were in case we were bothered by at train that runs nearby. We actually heard the train earlier in the evening, and it wasn’t a problem. The real problem, and I now suspect (but don't really know) that the earplugs were provided for this reason, was that one could hear ordinary conversation, to the point where it was clear what was being said, in the next room. We were on the sixth floor, in an otherwise quite section of the hotel. Walls shouldn’t that thin. The conversation went on until 3:30, and sleep was interrupted by it intermittently. They occupants seemed to be talking at a normal volume.

The second problem is rather unpleasant to write about, but here goes. The Iron Horse is a “pet friendly hotel.” When we left our room to check out, we rounded a counter. As I walked I felt my foot slip. Looking back, I saw that a dog had defecated in the hallway, and we discerned that my wife and I both walked in, and latter discovered that the wheels of our luggage had rolled though, the mess. (She was several feet beyond me when I made the initial discovery. We continued down the hall, to the elevator, and from the elevator to the front desk—not fully comprehending the extent of the mess.) We then examined ourselves and our luggage, and reported exactly what happened and asked that our shoes and luggage be cleaned off. There was excrement on the 6th floor hallway, the elevator, the walk from the elevator to the desk and the mat in front of the desk—as well as our shoes and luggage wheels. Housekeeping was called in. The man from housekeeping then did a terrible job of cleaning our shoes and luggage. (We ended up cleaning our shoes.) In addition, when he “cleaned” the luggage he laid it on the soiled mat, where it acquired a little more filth. I asked him to be sure the luggage was clean. He said he did. (I learned when we went outside waiting for our car that he’d done a very pour job.) We pointed out the mess on the mat, and the woman behind the desk, got some spray to clean it up. We apologized for the mess. She sort of laughed, shook her head, rolled her eyes, and said. “It’s certainly not the first time.” She told the housekeeping rep about the mess on the 6th floor. How clean it got after that we do not know. (Did I mention there was some on my pants. It was not the most solid effort a dog can make.)

A final note, we are not squeamish. We’ve had dogs, finished them in canine obedience, and shown them. Still, this is one of life’s little experiences we would happily have missed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about what happened. I know our Assistant Front Office Manager Constance has contacted you and I hope that we have made everything right.

Been to Iron Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!