“Wonderful girls getaway weekend; milestone birthday; Girls fun!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iron Horse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iron Horse Hotel to your Saves list
Iron Horse Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204 (Walker's Point)   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Centerville, Ohio
“Wonderful girls getaway weekend; milestone birthday; Girls fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went to Milwaukee June 22, stayed here ,and went up to Kohler Waters Spa for my daughter's birthday. With her, and her bff, shared a room, which worked great. Girls had so much fun! The hotel is fab; easy going, beautiful, artsy. And an easy walk to the 3rd Ward historic district; great restaurants & shopping. The front desk people were so helpful in guiding & directing us to fun places, easily walkable.
I would happily stay here again; it is also a very romantic couples destination.

We ordered, for an "hors d'oevere", after arriving & settling,room service, the "Wisconsin Cheese Soup" in pretzel bowl; shared by us 3. Awesome!! Chef sent message; "85 degrees outside"; we said, cool in here. Gotta have cheese in Wisconsin...
Rooms large, beautiful, but cozy, and very artsy. Lovely bathroom, but strange shower with half door. Not terrible though. Only thing for 3 "girls"; no mirror in main room. Full length mirror in closet; but hard to do makeup while one of us in bathroom. But, small issue in the scheme of things; great room & time. The beds & pillows were very comfy. The room was very cold, though, and difficult to regulate temp, but again, no big deal in the scheme. I turned off the thermostat for awhile. On again at night; like it cool.

The bars, outdoor & indoor were phenomenal; wish I could be there with my honey sometime. Looks so romantic. The greeting with the refreshing drink was wonderful, too.

One thing to keep in mind, though is parking fees. They are extra, and rather pricy, so factor that in to your stay if driving. It wasn't much when shared with 3 for just 2 nights; but a week for a couple could add up. Just sayin'. Always the hidden fees; most places & times, everywhere.
I have no reason to come back this way, but if I did, would sure stay here! Overall, loved it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
I'm so happy to hear that you had a great ladies weekend! I know that you don't travel to Milwaukee often, but should you have reason to come back we would love to have you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was my second visit to the Iron Horse Hotel, but I hope not my last.

It was as good as I remembered, and is one of, if not my favourite hotel of all: It has a lot of character and is a far, far preferable to even the very best of the chain hotels.

Despite all of this, I am still reluctant to rank it as 'excellent', as in my opinion there are some areas for improvement. As a number of reviewers have pointed out, the 'rain' shower is not all that easy to control, and the one in my room lacked water pressure – and it was not a relaxing, pleasurable experience to have a shower there. My room was spotless, but housekeeping did not replace the breakfast room service card (that you hang up) or the hotel laundry bags and item forms.

Again, as a number of reviewers have pointed out, the valet parking is expensive at $25.00 per night, and with the parking lot adjacent to the hotel it seems an unnecessary 'optional service'. Next time I'll park my car in the street.

In my other review I pointed out my discomfort at the large murals in the room of young girls in artistic poses. The hotel manager kindly replied to my review on Tripadvisor, explaining the charming story behind these photographs of 'Milwaukee girls': On this visit I noticed that the summary of the story of the murals had been printed onto a card and placed on the wall near the mural itself. I was however very disappointed to see the nature of the mural in the entrance to the (very nice) fitness centre: I would say that at best it is 'quirky' rather than 'charming', and certainly close to the 'edge' of 'edgy'. Call me a prude, but I find it rather distasteful (and so I think might my teenage daughter)!

I will be back without a doubt!

De

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the review. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us before and that you had a pleasant trip with us again this time. That being said I am sorry that you did experience some issues while you were here. I will make sure that our engineering department takes a look at our water system. In regards to parking we rent the parking lots that the hotel uses to park our guests' cars. What we offer with our parking fee is 24 hour valet and unlimited in and out parking which is something other hotels in the area offer but at a higher rate. I hope this helps to explain our parking and if there is anything else that I may help with, please feel free to contact me. Thank you again!
Shiocton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Iron Horse Oct 2011 and again this June of 2012 and love everything about this hotel. The atmosphere is intoxicating, the service is exceptional and the rooms are sassy. We loved being greated with a complementary cocktail upon check-in, and our favorite place to socialize with our friends was the outdoor lounge area near the outdoor bar. There were several places offering entertainment within a short stroll from the hotel. We highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you so much for coming to stay with us again. It is great to hear that you had just as great an experience as you did back in October. We hope to have you back next time you are in Milwaukee.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We recently stayed @ the Iron Horse for my 40th birthday in May-have to say it was a fantastic time. The hotel is in close to many different points of interest & things to do. We ate @ The Smyth restaurant in the hotel, it was delicious and service was outstanding throughout our stay as well. My husband & I are looking for another reason to go back ASAP!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy belated birthday! I am so happy to hear that you had a great birthday with us. If you are looking for a reason to come back all I should have to say is Summerfest. Thank you again!
Poconos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

This Boutique Hotel is filled to capacity with unique architectural and artistic elements. It is an oasis in a very barren landscape of Milwaukee wasteland and highway arteries. Situated next an equally unique bridge, you will not have a hard time finding the hotel. One of our biggest complaints is the parking racket they have running. If you come on a motorcycle, no worries. Parking is free. We arrived by car and were greeted by a "valet" who informed us that parking was by valet only and would cost $25 a night. We asked if there were any other options, and he replied, no. Upon further research, we discovered that we could park on the street ( ample availability) for free. All we had to do was make a quick call to the city to give them our license plate number. The hotel's parking lot (unpaved, barren lot) is directly next to the hotel. It is obnoxious that they feel themselves worthy of tacking additional fees onto an already pretty pricey stay.
As you walk into the equisitly appointed lobby/lounge area, you are overcome with a very strong aroma of heavy mens cologne, reminiscent of Drakar. I felt like I was back in high school in the 80s. I thought perhaps somebody with a heavy hand had just checked in, but alas the next morning the scent was as strong as ever.
The room itself is something right from the pages of a glossy magazine. But much like the women in the magazines, the beauty is only skin deep. The exposed ventilation duct work creaked and squeaked the entire evening. The sounds from the hall and adjacent rooms was like they were in our room. I have never had such a noisy evening. They supply ear plugs, because of the "trains" (none passed while we were there). I suspect they skimped on insulation. The HUGE bathroom was a sight to be seen, but the rain shower head was just that: like standing in a gentle spring shower. No water pressure!!! Very disappointing.
Over all, this is a beautiful hotel that really is on the brink. Perhaps if the developers/owners stayed in the rooms themselves, perhaps they would see where they are missing the mark.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby and rooms. Our lobby is truly a remarkable space. I am sorry though to hear that you had issues with our valet service. There is the option to park on the street and we have provided the information to call your car into the city, on small informational sheets, located on our Valet stand. I am so sorry that was not given to you and that you were given the wrong information. Thank you again and I hope to have you with us again soon!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our 11 year anniversary at the Ironhorse this past weekend. We had stayed there before and were very excited to have the chance to do so again. Their valet service is top notch. There were at least 3 working when we arrived and when our car was returned to us the next morning it had been washed! Great touch. We had dinner at Smyth. Highly recommended. The food and service were excellent. After dinner we had drinks with some family on some comfortable chairs just outside their main bar. The drinks were tasty and the server was very attentive. We had one of the smaller king bedrooms but it was plenty spacious. The mini bar was well stocked. The bathroom has a huge rainfall shower. The bed and pillows are hands down the most comfortable we have come across. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for the review. Congratulations on your 11th wedding anniversary. I am so happy to hear that you chose to spend your time with us to celebrate!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

It was so refreshing to stay at a Hotel that did everything right! The minute you check in your greeted with a smile, a cocktail and no wait!! Room is over the top...chic, cool, loaded with all the ammenities you could ask for..and a bed and linens to die for...was hard to leave the room-Had dinner and drinks...service impecable...food perfect....just dont see this anymore-Lastly but not least.......the people who work here and stay here are of all different backgrounds and makes for a great mix...classy business people to Harley lovers...its warm inviting, friendly, classy and chic...service to die for!! May be the top hotel for overall experience ever...Not one thing I can think of that could need improvement!! WOW.......what a refreshing experience for a change!!

Room Tip: Higher Floor maybe the best for view