“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I own a very busy restaurant that is open every night except Sunday. That is the night we go out to relax and unwind, and our choice of food is always Pizza. We consider ourselves pizza connoisseurs. We live in the north shore, and although we have our tried and true favorite places, we decided to try something different . That is how we discovered Transfer. When we found the place, we weren't sure if we wanted to go in. It looked a little too free spirtited for our taste. However, we did dine there, and it was fantastic! From the moment we walked in, with what I am sure was a crabby, tired, and starving look that we have every Sunday night, we knew we had chosen the right place. Each and every staff member was very friendly, and the bartender who served us was so patient and helpful with the menu. Then our food arrived. We each ordered our own pizza. They were both excellent. Perfect crust and fantastic flavor. I was full after eating half of my small pizza. However I ate the entire thing that same night because it was so good! I would highly recommend this place and definately wiil be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
“Great Zaa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Friendly servers, and great food and beer options! In a fun neighborhood as well. The seating is a little tight, but the atmosphere benefits from that!

“Eat Here, It's Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love Transfer Pizzeria Café's pizza like Kathy Griffin loves plastic surgery.

There are so many tasty items on their menu, you can't go wrong, but on the flip side, an ordinary pizza at Transfer is just so darn good, it's hard to pass up because you'll be hard-pressed to find a more tasty 'za in the city.

My go-to: spicy sausage, mushroom and onion. I usually have it at lunch at a price that can't be beat: $6.95. Nearly 7 bucks gets one a small pizza and a soft drink (one topping besides cheese, they charge a couple of extra nickels for a few more toppings -- no matter though, still a GREAT value).

I've watched enough cooking competition shows to know that critics love the perfect balance of fresh, high quality ingredients prepared simply and expertly. That's pretty much what makes Transfer's pizza so delicious.

Their mozz is primo. When it arrives hot out of the oven at your table, you can smell the freshness. As a youth I worked at the premiere mozzarella producer--Frigo--in northern Wisconsin. For 9 or 10 hours per day, I slung fresh mozz around the place, turning it into string cheese or bulk blocks ready for shredding; the smell of freshly melted mozzarella is burned into the deepest recesses of my brain. Transfer's pizza has that delectable smell.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that one thing that REALLY sets Transfer apart: their crust. It's not thin. It's not thick. It's one of those poofed-up, light and crispy yet chewy crusts. I love it. Even if I eat the gooey, chewy cheesy meaty center, I'm still likely to ask for a box to take the outer edges home. It's that good.

I've yet to eat at Transfer's sister restaurant, VIA, but if their pizza is as tasty as Transfer's, Transfer finally has some good competition in town! ;)

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were looking for a Neopaltian style pizza and this place looked promising. The pizza was pretty good.. thin crispy crust, good toppings, but I've had the same style at other places and this one seemed just average

Visited June 2012
Wheaton, Illinois
“Filled up fast for lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had lunch with my daughters and we arrived just as they opened at 11 but it filled up quickly. As this was our first time, we tried to sample a little of everything, which ended up being too much and we didn't have room for the pizza! Our server was super friendly and took the time to walk us through the menu highlights as it was our first time. The pizza lunch special is a good deal-$6.95 for a red sauce pizza with one topping and a fountain drink. They also have a garlic sauce pizza and some specialty pizzas. 45 pizza choices in all! The small pizzas are the size of a dinner plate ( about 6 slices) so definitely enough for a meal.
The salami bruschetta was recommended and it was good. A little different in that it was more of a salami sandwich with tomato slices than the traditional bruschetta I've had but it was very good. There is a garlic spread on the perfectly toasted bread which is divine. Very large appetizer portion. Bazilio salad has good flavor with the curry spice; caprese salad was OK-not the season for tomatoes and I thought the presentation could be better; cuban pannini nicely prepared and toasted but a little dry-I'd suggest some kind of sauce or other "wet" ingredient. The pesto pasta was also good although a little too much olive oil. They are very generous with the cheeses on all the dishes, so it can be a little much for some. Overall, I wasn't "wowed" by the place because of the "seasoning" issues I mentioned but it was very good. To be fair however, I did not have the pizza which is what I think it's all about, so I will be back.
The space is cool. Looks like it was an old drugstore or something similar. There is a larger room in the back that seats 36 so, looks like a nice place for a pizza party or something. There is a full bar. They also seem to do a brisk pizza carryout business.

• Visited January 2013