“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #48 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Right after I booked this hotel I read the reviews....It was one of those moments I thought I was going to regret. Honestly, the hotel was not that bad. The room didn't smell musty and the beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom could have used a little more cleaning. The corners were pretty gross. The bathroom downstairs was dirty also. The food is over priced.
The staff were not real friendly but we didn't run into a lot of overly friendly people in Milwaukee.
My biggest tip is to go 2 blocks down to the Build a Burger/Build a Breakfast for food. VERY good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RamadaCityCentre, Manager at Ramada Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. You are quite right in seeing our hotel in a more positive light than in some of the negative reviews. In the month of July we served over 5,000 guests. The high majority of these customers have complimented our facility, our staff, and our operations. We truly care and try to offer our guests the best value package in Milwaukee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Muscatine, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Only good thing about this hotel was the location, block away from city bus that took us to Summerfest. Our suite seemed damp when sitting on the furniture. The air conditioner could not keep up, good thing it was not too hot. No vent in the very small bathroom and the shower curtain was very moldy. You would think with a "suite" it would have been decorated nicer and the bathroom wouldn't be so small. Mold on the shower curtain-no excuse!! First night the hotel bartender was great but our second night we left without getting a drink due to the bartender could not keep up with the crowd. Go to Solbermans down the road for great burgers and Bloody Mary's!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recognizing our location as one of our best features. I am sorry and surprised you were dissappointed with the air temperature. We have just installed new thermostats and that room should have been near perfect. I am also sorry about the housekeeping condition of your room. We usually are very attentive when it comes to cleaning and maintaining our rooms. Thank you for the nice comments on our bartender. I apologize you felt that we were busy, but I guarantee that this period was just a rush and immediately subsided to normal levels.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

7/8/2014
I wanted a hotel that had a Heated pool, air conditioning and you Expedia gave me the Ramada Inn on michigan ave, in Milwaukee,wis
And it was the worse hotel I've ever been in, the pool was never heated and the front desk just sat there and treated me like crap, and then my room never had any cold air and when I called the front desk to complain, they sent me a fan, and that's it. I requested a refund for that night and all they did was fight with me not to give me a refund, No sorry no nothing.
They never gave me a real manager, it was always John Pena, who was supposedly an operations manager who couldn't operate his own brain!!
Also there free WiFi is Crap, you only get 1 bar, and it's not the one on your iPad, it was the one downstairs when you wanted a beer.!!
I would save your money and never ever think about walking in this hotel ever

They are lucky to even get 1 stupid star from me, they don't even deserve any.
But what goes up must come down, they might not give me back my refund for the worse night stay ever, but they will lose way more customers like crazy when I send this to the chief editor for the Chicago SunTimes
They will close down for sure and another hotel chain will run them down.
Just look at all the other negative reviews these people got

Room Tip: Don't chose this hotel, that's your tip!!! According to an employee who was quitting her job...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am truly sorry that some of our guests feel they have not been treated fairly and with respect. We are committed to resolving issues with all of our guests. The truth is that we cannot satisfy everyone with what they believe is fair. I only hope that this negative review does not influence others to judge us unfairly.
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The staff here were very friendly, to the point where I almost feel bad writing this review.

But this hotel was just a bad deal. I will not be going back.

I travel once a week for work and I rarely write negative reviews, but I literally was in shock when I got to this hotel. I thought Wyndham properties were generally well kept and up to date - along the lines with Hilton and Hyatt, maybe a step down.

When I got here, I swear I entered a Motel 6 by accident.

The number of obvious, notable things wrong with the hotel is almost too much to write, but I'll give it a go. I'll write about each thing I noticed as I reached my room, from start to finish.

1) While there is parking outside, that is also the only thing outside. There is no attempt to keep the exterior of the building looking nice. It looks run down before you even step inside, with old looking signs outside the barely identifiable restaurant next door. No plants or anything, an old sign. It kind of screams "go away" before you even get inside.

2) The lobby entry area looks like my grandparents living room 20 years ago. The furniture is very dated.

3) At check-in, everything was done by hand from what I could tell. While they had prepped my paperwork prior to my arrival, it felt a bit dated. And the check-in staff mentioned something about not putting me on the 4th floor, as if one of the floors was possessed by demons or something. A bit weird, though I think they were trying to be funny (it didn't work).

4) I checked out the pool before going upstairs. Well, it is there. It's a pool surrounded by concrete. Nothing more. No attempt to make it look nice really, just a pool with a concrete wall around it, in the parking lot.

5) When I got to the elevator, it was old and the lights on the elevator panel didn't light up when you pushed the buttons.

6) When I got to my room, I discovered a very very old and stained duvet / decorative blanket on the bed. Ew. The sheets were clean underneath but that was really not appealing.

7) The bathroom was semi clean but the steel and other parts of the bathtub were clearly not new, with much of the finish having been rubbed off after years of cleaning (presumably).

8) There were almost no electrical outlets in the room despite the room being listed as a "Business Class Room". I assumed that meant a large work area, power outlets, etc. like in newer hotels. I have no idea what it actually meant now.

9) Walls were thin - I could hear the neighbors (through the vent?) next door pretty easily.

10) I went to the morning breakfast. It was terrible frankly. It was listed as a buffet, well, it was really more like half a buffet - literally. There was a buffet counter, but only half the buffet was filled, the rest was empty. There was a woman complaining about getting her meal for free, and while the hostess was busy tending to her I was ignored for about 15 minutes, waiting to be seated. Upon finally being seated a lady came over, flustered, looking like she was going to take my order. Then she walked away instead, and came back with someone else who was apparently training her. Ugh. I didn't die from the food or anything but the next day I found a lovely breakfast place around the corner - much better choice!

The one thing I can say about this hotel, they were clearly trying and they do seem to clean the place. It just seems like none of the rooms or general areas have seen an upgrade in at least a decade, which just made the entire experience really poor.

I had not seen the reviews on here before staying, and I wish I had. They are sadly fairly accurate.

I hope this property upgrades their facilities. It has potential and is in a great location but honestly, I will not be staying at a Wyndham property in general after this experience. This place was a disservice to their brand.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent comments. Frankly, I am surprised at some of them. We have a large open parking lot that is FREE for our guests. We do have plants in front and a canopy over our restaurant. Our lobby furniture was bought just six months ago. I assure you that we are completely computerized but as with any hotel, we do require a signature on a registration card and your credit card receipt and therefore there is paper to sign. We are the only property downtown that has an outdoor pool. Our guests frequent the pool and they give us rave reviews as does the city inspector. Yes, the elevator is an older model where the buttons do not light up but it takes you to the floor that you request and it is a smooth and quiet ride. I apologize for the couple issues that you found in your room. I assure you that this is not typical. Also, we do have a buffet on most weekends in the summer. The side that you said was empty is actually a salad bar that we obviously do not use for breakfast except for the fresh cut fruit that is provided. I do apologize for the items that made your stay less than satisfactory and wish that you would have told us while you were here so we would have the chance to resolve those issues immediately. We strive to give our guests the best value in downtown Milwaukee.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This building is very old and while I wouldn't call it "dirty" it definitely doesn't feel clean. What you're paying for is location, not for comfort (and it's not cheap). I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
RamadaCityCentre, Manager at Ramada Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you were not entirely happy with your stay. We truly appreciate your comments and are determined to improve our hotel in every aspect. We do feel our value is in the location but we also have other values, such as free parking, free WIFI, an outdoor swimming pool, a full service restaurant and lounge, and the friendliest staff in the city. But again I am sorry if we fell short during your visit.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I'm only giving this one star because there is no zero stars. I booked late for summerfest this year so ramada was only place close available. Figured we'd only be sleeping & showering so room didn't matter. Well first night ac didn't work then second night bedbugs were so bad we asked to be moved. We had the window cracked open due to stuffiness & awful smell & when we complained about bedbugs the guy said well it's from the open window. Nice try we know what Mosquitos are & these were not! The second room had weird gross stains on sheets but no bedbugs we could see. I will never stay there or another ramada again. Filthy, smelly bug filled rooms & then an attitude for complaining. I'm having my wife take pics of all my bites & complaining to the bbb!

• Stayed June 2014
A professtional certifed Pest Control Company came and inspected the room as soon as we heard of the complaint. No bugs or evidence of any insect presence of any kind were found in the room. A copy of this inspection is available for anyone who wants to see it.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is disgusting. I had my husband check for bedbugs twice JUST TO BE SURE. Lucky for us there weren't any. The room smelled moldy and musty. It was a large room, but I would have preferred clean and smaller room any day. I wore my shoes to the bed, since the carpet was so filthy. The coffee pot was filthy. There is no coffee or free breakfast in the lobby. When I asked if they had coffee in the lobby, I was directed to purchase it from the restaurant. The bathroom was dirty. The street noise was loud. The showerhead is loud and squeeky. The sheets were cheap and crunchy feeling. I hope no one ever comes to Milwaukee during the Jehovah's witnesses convention and has no other choice but this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for the review. We appreciate your comments and sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are truly dissappointed because we continuously strive to offer our guests a clean room in a clean hotel. Obviously, you felt we missed the boat with your room, and for that I'm sorry.

Been to Ramada Milwaukee Downtown? Share your experiences!