“Park and fly” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Park and fly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great location, just a couple minutes from the aiport. I never heard an airplane fly over so don't worry about that. Your car is parked in a secured lot which is nice. The hotel could use some updating-run down and tired looking. Some may confuse it with dinge. Service in the restaurant was not good and overhead the servers talking bad about someone while they were in the dining room cleaning tables. Restaurant down the road Final Approach was much better. Would stay again just because of the location

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Good news. We are remodeling our rooms and halls. The next time you come we will have a new look. I talked to my restaurant manager about the staff issues. Thanks for letting me know about the servers. How was the food? We usually get good reviews about the quality of the food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked a room through hotwire for Italian Fest weekend. We arrived and were told that Hotels.com made a mistake and was booking its rooms despite the fact that they were sold out. I replied we booked through Hotwire, and she said Expedia, Hotwire, and Hotels.com are all the same company and made the same mistake. Long story short, I confirmed through Hotwire that the hotel listed its rooms as available to them, then proceeded to book those rooms they assigned to Hotwire on their own, regardless. So the mistake was on the hotel, not Hotwire. Mistakes can happen I suppose, but they lied about who made the mistake, acted glib, offered no help to find other accommodations, and did not offer anything such as a free night stay in the future.

As we sat in the lobby and spoke with a Hotwire representative on our phone, we watched as at least six other reservations were denied for other customers. In each instance, the hotel simply told them they were overbooked and offered nothing as far as help, future discounts, or even a free drink for the trouble. Hotwire was outstanding and told us we could book at any hotel in Milwaukee and they would make up the price difference.

I generally don't like reviews like mine simply because when I look up a hotel I want to read about the room. However,I have been to many hotels and have never had a reservation not honored, let alone witnessed multiple people with reservations get turned away. And the response of management was so cavalier that I felt potential customers should know. Further, this is not sour grapes. When we arrived, the place was not clean and the people at the front desk were not professional. There was an angry man screaming and swearing at a lady in the parking lot, and management did nothing. My first thought when I arrived was that there is no way this is a three stat hotel,which was the Hotwire rating. We were horribly disappointed when we arrived. The room was over $130/ night, and the hotel did not appear to justify the cost or the rating. If this is a 3 star hotel, then your average Holiday Inn is 4 stars. We actually considered it a blessing in disguise that our reservation was not recognized.

I see that on occasion management responds here. I would love to hear its explanation, and even more importantly, why we and other customers at a minimum were not offered a free night stay on some other evening (not that we would even want it). I can say if I were running a substandard facility, I would make certain that my staff would be professional, courteous, kind, and properly trained.

This hotel failed on all points, and we never even made it to the room. Stay here at your own risk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Darren,
I would like to personally apologize for your experience when you arrived at the Clarion Hotel Milwaukee Airport last weekend. The city of Milwaukee is a great destination and our summer festivals are a fantastic get away for many.

Darren, I can only imagine the fustration you had when we did not have a room for you. I can also tell you the frustration we as a hotel had when we could not receive any information to contact not only you but others when a third party web site had an anomaly. We requested e-mails and phone numbers and the third party would not assist us.

Darren, we are a family owned and operated facility and we appreciate every person we have the opportunity to accommodate and bestow a true feeling of professional hospitality upon. If you would be so kind as to call me at the hotel I would be very appreciative.

Sincerely

Jim M.
(414)481-2400
Portsmouth nh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Disgusting....! Stains in the green carpet, will NOT walk barefoot, the hallways are beat up, stained carpet. The furniture is so old and gross I wouldn't touch it. Tore the bed apart looking for bed begs, to find cigarette burns in the mattress pad. The iron is chained to the ironing board.... $130+ for a night where I'm scared to touch anything.

• Stayed July 2013
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Good news !!!! We are remodeling. New furniture , carpet, wallpaper, window treatments and an updated bathroom. The corridors will also be updated with carpet wallpaper and lighting. Stop back and if you contact me, I will send you a certificate for a complimentary room.
Waukesha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

WE use this for the convenience of it to the airport and so we don't have to drive in in the morning. We like the secure parking and shuttle service. They do a excellent job on them.
We weren't as happy with the room this time. It was on first ti the left wing. Not as quiet and the room wasn't kept up as well. You good see dust hanging on the ceiling above the top of the bed. Think they need a good washing and a new paint job.
Will we use it again for a park, stay and fly yes we defenitely will.

Room Tip: ON first get one to the right or north side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for three nights. The walls were old and dated, carpet was loose and wrinkled throughout, and the beds were flat (no pillow tops here). The room itself was fairly clean with a hot shower and cold AC, though the maid turned the AC off during the day so I always came home to a hot room.
This hotel needs to be renovated, but they are still charging over $100/night. There are newer hotels with better value very close by. However, there is not much else near by except for the airport and it is a $30 cab ride into town (the shuttle will only go within a 1 mile radius).

Room Tip: Choose the Hyatt Place next door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff there was awesome. One of the wifi routers didn't work, so the front desk manager went out of his way to try to fix it, and when he couldn't, he moved us to another room. As other reviewers have indicated, the pool is a little bit of a fish bowl because it is visible to anybody driving out for the hotel as well as hanging out at the front desk. Especially those having breakfast.

The breakfast was super disappointing though. It was literally just coffee, donuts and a bowl of apples and oranges. There was a restaurant downstairs,

• Stayed June 2013
Naperville, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here on May 18th for our son's hooding ceremony and commencement the next day at Marquette University. Had 2 rooms, one for my wife and myself and one for our son and his wife. Milwaukee was packed this weekend with Marquette University's graduation at the Bradley Center, the University of Wisconsin's graduation at U.S. Cellular Arena, and a Kenny Chesney concert in Milwaukee. If you did not book early, you were without a room this weekend. All the hotels were fully booked in the area. We found our room to be very nice. There were a few carpet stains in our room but not so bad that would have caused us to ask for a different room. The beds were well made and the bathrooms were very clean. Our son and daughter-in-laws room was perfect. Despite the hotel being fully booked and being so close to the Milwaukee Airport, we heard absolutely no noise in the halls during our stay here. The hotel was very close to the Bradley Center, downtown Milwaukee, and to Discovery World, where our son's hooding ceremony took place. We would recommend this hotel and would stay here again when we are in Milwaukee.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments. We are in the process of redecorating some of our rooms and the hallways with new carpet, wallcovering and lighting. So the next time you come to Milwaukee you can check out our new look.

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!