“Outstanding staff, lousy breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Portland, Maine
“Outstanding staff, lousy breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff there was awesome. One of the wifi routers didn't work, so the front desk manager went out of his way to try to fix it, and when he couldn't, he moved us to another room. As other reviewers have indicated, the pool is a little bit of a fish bowl because it is visible to anybody driving out for the hotel as well as hanging out at the front desk. Especially those having breakfast.

The breakfast was super disappointing though. It was literally just coffee, donuts and a bowl of apples and oranges. There was a restaurant downstairs,

• Stayed June 2013

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Naperville, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here on May 18th for our son's hooding ceremony and commencement the next day at Marquette University. Had 2 rooms, one for my wife and myself and one for our son and his wife. Milwaukee was packed this weekend with Marquette University's graduation at the Bradley Center, the University of Wisconsin's graduation at U.S. Cellular Arena, and a Kenny Chesney concert in Milwaukee. If you did not book early, you were without a room this weekend. All the hotels were fully booked in the area. We found our room to be very nice. There were a few carpet stains in our room but not so bad that would have caused us to ask for a different room. The beds were well made and the bathrooms were very clean. Our son and daughter-in-laws room was perfect. Despite the hotel being fully booked and being so close to the Milwaukee Airport, we heard absolutely no noise in the halls during our stay here. The hotel was very close to the Bradley Center, downtown Milwaukee, and to Discovery World, where our son's hooding ceremony took place. We would recommend this hotel and would stay here again when we are in Milwaukee.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments. We are in the process of redecorating some of our rooms and the hallways with new carpet, wallcovering and lighting. So the next time you come to Milwaukee you can check out our new look.
Iron Mountain, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend. To be honest I booked this room on short notice and for the price it was my best option. Upon check in the lobby was newly updated/decorated and looked very nice. The pool looked very well kept as well (the only thing I didn't like was that you could view it through large glass windows from the lobby- not the best if you don't want everyone that enters to see how poorly you swim) Almost like being in a fish tank. The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful and Kelly even upgraded us to a suite! Thank you Kelly :) The rooms themselves were in poor condition...Everything was VERY clean however, very outdated. This hotel could be wonderful with some basic upgrades and new decor to their rooms. Also...my towels were kind of strewn all over the place upon entering in the bathroom and the lights took forever to turn on if they turned on at all. The lounge and restaurant were absolutely perfect with great food and service that was reasonably priced. The gym would be VERY nice however the attendant was working out with her friends upon my entry and after inquiring if I could please use the tanning bed, she stated she forgot her keys. I waited approximately 10 minutes for her to come to this conclusion and had to play detective to find who the attendant was in the first place. Moral of the story- ok for the price and good food. Overall needs some help.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor have easier access (may be nicer too)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is great for a quick stay before heading to the airport. My original flight to Phoenix was overbooked and so I elected to give up my seat. In return the airline gave me a voucher for a stay at this hotel. I have to say it is very nice for a lower priced hotel. The location to the airport cannot be beat and even though they are right across the street from the airport I cannot hear any plane traffic. I had a room with a view of the pool and while I did hear some kids in the hall and in the pool it was not enough to be a problem. The only downside to that would be if you sleep light and go to bed early. The pool is open til 10 pm but as I sit here now I know there are people in the pool but it is a soothing sound. The gym is suppose to be large although all of my gym clothes are in my luggage on my original flight so I did not go to the gym. The food in the restaurant is fantastic. I had dinner here because I did not have a car with me. I had the petite filet and asked for it medium. Usually I do this and steaks come out medium well to well done. Not this one. It was perfect. Overall a great value and they have a free 24 hour shuttle to and from the airport. The gentleman who drove me from the airport to the hotel was very personable and held a conversation with me (well as much as possible since it is only about a 2 minute drive). I think they have a park and fly package as well but again I did not have a car with me. If you are looking for a higher end hotel (which I usually stay in) this is probably not it yet I am satisfied for it being paid for by the airline.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper or go to bed early get a room away from the pool on the first floor as th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments on the Clarion Hotel. We try to make every ones stay as pleasant as possible. We are also in the process of upgrading the Hotel. We are remodeling the rooms completely and also new carpet and wallcovering in the hallways. New time you are in town I hope YOU choose to stay at the Clarion Hotel.
I will tell Dennis, the chef, how pleased you were with the restaurant.
SPOKANE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recently we stayed for four nights at the Clarion while visiting family in Milwaukee, the staff was very friendly and the room was large and clean. The toilet was leaking so within 30 minutes of reporting it the repairman came and fixed it. The bathroom was very nice with large tiles on the floor and shower stall, we really appreciated the large counter by the sink for all our toiletries. Another nice touch was tea bags as well as coffee in the room for those who are not coffee drinkers. The breakfast was a little sparse but it was fine for us since we normally eat a small breakfast. It is right across from the main airport exit but was very quiet. We definitely plan to return on our next visit.

Room Tip: We were on a lower level facing the street and it was quiet so I imagine any room should be fine.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Happy to hear that you had a positive experience at the Clarion Hotel. A friendly, courteous staff is important to me.
The next time you come, you will see newly decorated corridors and rooms. Be sure to let me know what you think about the new look.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel was adequate for spending the night before going to the airport. It was run down, hall but not room smelled of smoke, few hairs were in shower, and I saw an ant in sink. Front desk lost my priceline reservation and it took a long time to check in. Printer to print my receipt did not work in morning. Breakfast was donuts and sugary muffins.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am sorry that you were not happy with the Clarion Hotel. But I have good news !!!!!! We are refurbishing our hallways and sleeping rooms. The products are on order now and within the next 6 months we will have a new updated look. Try us again.
Superior, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First of all, I will say one nice thing about this hotel. The staff was very friendly and responsive to all our needs, even if they weren't always competent. For those readers who don't want to read the rest of the review, I can summarize my opinion as: This hotel is a terrible value and probably only stays in business due to being close to the airport. We only stayed here because we had a flight that left from Milwaukee at 5:50 am, so we wanted to be as close to the airport as possible.

I understand that when staying near an airport you're paying for convenience. Thus, I expect to pay more for generally less quality than a hotel located elsewhere. That being said, this Clarion is really pushing it by betting that they can pretty much let everything else go and still rely on proximity to the airport being enough to keep them afloat. For what they charge I would expect at least decently clean rooms and something bette than an overall feeling of disgust.

The first thing you'll notice when entering this hotel is that although it is now a smoke-free facility, it definitely allowed smoking at one time. Everywhere you go in this hotel smells like smoke and when we first entered our room, the smell was overwhelming. We actually ended up switching rooms as our first room was located near some kind of a generator or air handling unit, and there was a constant humming noise that was giving my wife a headache. It was so bad that we couldn't even stand to be in the room while we were changing clothes. As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, the one good thing was that the staff immediately gave us another room without question. When we arrived at the second room we were first greeted by an even more overwhelming smoke smell. This room smelled very strongly like cheap cigars and pipe tobacco when we first entered. We found that the smell was most strongly concentrated by the entrance/bathroom, and didn't smell as bad near the bed. Speaking of the bed, that brings me to my next point.

We inspected the bed and it seemed obvious that the sheets had not been changed. The fitted sheet on the mattress looked inside out, and our first thought was that the sheet had simply been flipped over but not changed. When I removed the covers, I discovered hairs on the bed sheets. I did not sit on the bed or lie on it until the linens were changed. I called the front desk and asked for all new bedding materials. Although they were happy to oblige, it took three calls to get everything. The first time, they only brought sheets. The second time, they brought blankets and pillow cases. The third time we asked for a fitted sheet, but got another non-fitted sheet instead. We decided that this was good enough and stripped the bed of the old sheets and blankets and put on the new ones.

Other than the specifics I mentioned, the overall impression was that this hotel was neglected. I literally felt like I was at a cheap roadside motel that we used to stay at as a kid during family road trips in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Walking through the halls to our room I noticed that the decor was very outdated. All the appliances and vending/ice machines were covered with old-school drab wood paneling, the carpets looked worn out and were likely the cause of the pungent smoke smell, and I don't know how else to describe it other than there was a generally depressing feel to this hotel. The television and mini-fridge in the room seemed more up to date and there was free Wi-fi, which is always a bonus.

We booked this hotel on Expedia using their "Unpublished rates" option, which could be another review in and of itself. Suffice it to say that we felt like the price we paid given the quality of the hotel (even with being located close to the airport) was a really bad value. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 234 if at all possible. This is the room we were first assigned that had the terrible hum...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!