“Overnight stay at the airport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #33 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Phoenix, Arizona
“Overnight stay at the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is great for a quick stay before heading to the airport. My original flight to Phoenix was overbooked and so I elected to give up my seat. In return the airline gave me a voucher for a stay at this hotel. I have to say it is very nice for a lower priced hotel. The location to the airport cannot be beat and even though they are right across the street from the airport I cannot hear any plane traffic. I had a room with a view of the pool and while I did hear some kids in the hall and in the pool it was not enough to be a problem. The only downside to that would be if you sleep light and go to bed early. The pool is open til 10 pm but as I sit here now I know there are people in the pool but it is a soothing sound. The gym is suppose to be large although all of my gym clothes are in my luggage on my original flight so I did not go to the gym. The food in the restaurant is fantastic. I had dinner here because I did not have a car with me. I had the petite filet and asked for it medium. Usually I do this and steaks come out medium well to well done. Not this one. It was perfect. Overall a great value and they have a free 24 hour shuttle to and from the airport. The gentleman who drove me from the airport to the hotel was very personable and held a conversation with me (well as much as possible since it is only about a 2 minute drive). I think they have a park and fly package as well but again I did not have a car with me. If you are looking for a higher end hotel (which I usually stay in) this is probably not it yet I am satisfied for it being paid for by the airline.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper or go to bed early get a room away from the pool on the first floor as th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments on the Clarion Hotel. We try to make every ones stay as pleasant as possible. We are also in the process of upgrading the Hotel. We are remodeling the rooms completely and also new carpet and wallcovering in the hallways. New time you are in town I hope YOU choose to stay at the Clarion Hotel.
I will tell Dennis, the chef, how pleased you were with the restaurant.

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
SPOKANE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recently we stayed for four nights at the Clarion while visiting family in Milwaukee, the staff was very friendly and the room was large and clean. The toilet was leaking so within 30 minutes of reporting it the repairman came and fixed it. The bathroom was very nice with large tiles on the floor and shower stall, we really appreciated the large counter by the sink for all our toiletries. Another nice touch was tea bags as well as coffee in the room for those who are not coffee drinkers. The breakfast was a little sparse but it was fine for us since we normally eat a small breakfast. It is right across from the main airport exit but was very quiet. We definitely plan to return on our next visit.

Room Tip: We were on a lower level facing the street and it was quiet so I imagine any room should be fine.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Happy to hear that you had a positive experience at the Clarion Hotel. A friendly, courteous staff is important to me.
The next time you come, you will see newly decorated corridors and rooms. Be sure to let me know what you think about the new look.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel was adequate for spending the night before going to the airport. It was run down, hall but not room smelled of smoke, few hairs were in shower, and I saw an ant in sink. Front desk lost my priceline reservation and it took a long time to check in. Printer to print my receipt did not work in morning. Breakfast was donuts and sugary muffins.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am sorry that you were not happy with the Clarion Hotel. But I have good news !!!!!! We are refurbishing our hallways and sleeping rooms. The products are on order now and within the next 6 months we will have a new updated look. Try us again.
Superior, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First of all, I will say one nice thing about this hotel. The staff was very friendly and responsive to all our needs, even if they weren't always competent. For those readers who don't want to read the rest of the review, I can summarize my opinion as: This hotel is a terrible value and probably only stays in business due to being close to the airport. We only stayed here because we had a flight that left from Milwaukee at 5:50 am, so we wanted to be as close to the airport as possible.

I understand that when staying near an airport you're paying for convenience. Thus, I expect to pay more for generally less quality than a hotel located elsewhere. That being said, this Clarion is really pushing it by betting that they can pretty much let everything else go and still rely on proximity to the airport being enough to keep them afloat. For what they charge I would expect at least decently clean rooms and something bette than an overall feeling of disgust.

The first thing you'll notice when entering this hotel is that although it is now a smoke-free facility, it definitely allowed smoking at one time. Everywhere you go in this hotel smells like smoke and when we first entered our room, the smell was overwhelming. We actually ended up switching rooms as our first room was located near some kind of a generator or air handling unit, and there was a constant humming noise that was giving my wife a headache. It was so bad that we couldn't even stand to be in the room while we were changing clothes. As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, the one good thing was that the staff immediately gave us another room without question. When we arrived at the second room we were first greeted by an even more overwhelming smoke smell. This room smelled very strongly like cheap cigars and pipe tobacco when we first entered. We found that the smell was most strongly concentrated by the entrance/bathroom, and didn't smell as bad near the bed. Speaking of the bed, that brings me to my next point.

We inspected the bed and it seemed obvious that the sheets had not been changed. The fitted sheet on the mattress looked inside out, and our first thought was that the sheet had simply been flipped over but not changed. When I removed the covers, I discovered hairs on the bed sheets. I did not sit on the bed or lie on it until the linens were changed. I called the front desk and asked for all new bedding materials. Although they were happy to oblige, it took three calls to get everything. The first time, they only brought sheets. The second time, they brought blankets and pillow cases. The third time we asked for a fitted sheet, but got another non-fitted sheet instead. We decided that this was good enough and stripped the bed of the old sheets and blankets and put on the new ones.

Other than the specifics I mentioned, the overall impression was that this hotel was neglected. I literally felt like I was at a cheap roadside motel that we used to stay at as a kid during family road trips in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Walking through the halls to our room I noticed that the decor was very outdated. All the appliances and vending/ice machines were covered with old-school drab wood paneling, the carpets looked worn out and were likely the cause of the pungent smoke smell, and I don't know how else to describe it other than there was a generally depressing feel to this hotel. The television and mini-fridge in the room seemed more up to date and there was free Wi-fi, which is always a bonus.

We booked this hotel on Expedia using their "Unpublished rates" option, which could be another review in and of itself. Suffice it to say that we felt like the price we paid given the quality of the hotel (even with being located close to the airport) was a really bad value. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 234 if at all possible. This is the room we were first assigned that had the terrible hum...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had stayed at the Clarion before for a wedding. I was not impressed with my stay. In fact, I would have never stayed again, except my travel agent, who also happens to be my best friend, convinced me to give it another try for their Park N' Fly package before a trip to New York.

Check-in line was long with guests eager to get out of Wisconsin for warmer climates on Spring Break. Front desk staff was friendly and explained the parking to me. I feel they over-complicate their parking process, but it's their lot so they can do as they choose.

This hotel is a little bit strange because some fo the rooms have been renovated and others have not. Last time I was here we were definitely in the un-renovated area. That was almost two years ago and according to other guests I talked to on the shuttle, those rooms remain unrenovated, which is such a shame.

Room is very large and quiet. Jaccuzzi tub a plus although not necessary. Bathroom and all other areas of the room were very clean.

A great positive of this hotel is that they start serving their breakfast at 4 AM. It isn't much, just Dunkin Donuts, coffee and juice. But it's free and should get you through your flight.

Shuttle to and from aiport was quick and efficient. Upon return to Milwaukee shuttle driver helped me get my bags in the car and gave me great directions back to the interstate.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is the 4th year we have used this facility to start our vacation and again we were not disappointed. Everything went so smoothly that I would highly recommend this hotel for a park and fly away vacation start. The hotel personnel were friendly and very professional, rooms were very clean and the transportation and pickup upon our return went perfectly. Thank you and we'll be seeing you on our next vacation start!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharon R, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments. Too many times one only hears about the negative and not the positive. See you next year.
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I can't really say that it was a good one or a bad one. Attended a business meeting - meeting space is just right. What is disappointing is that the glasses stacked was not inspected. The glassware is definitely a bummer! Might have overlooked but there is no excuse not to check right? Moving on, staff is friendly that's a plus, rooms are okay. If you are planning to stay longer look for a better place, but if you are here for a night I think it's okay. There is a restaurant in the hotel - limited on menu but it's okay. 1 to 5, 5 as highest I will rate this clarion a 3- just passing but could be better.

Room Tip: Try to ask the room on top floor not facing the main road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!