“Decent.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
South Milwaukee, WI
“Decent.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My big mistake was reserving a room that had been previously been used as a smoking room. It still had the faint scent of smoke. I booked a suite and the whirl pool tub was great and ordered room service which was also decent. They have a restaurant and a gym inside.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Palatine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

It was an airport hotel that was actually busy with activity on a Friday night. Good location as we normally stay at the "airport" side of town. The room was nice. We had the room with a pullout couch. Basically a suite for a minimal upgrade fee since the rooms with double beds were all taken. So not bad on the value. Did not take advantage of the restaurant on site, however did enjoy the donuts they provided with the continental breakfast. We went swimming in the pool. It is an older pool (older hotel too), because there was a deep end. Pool temp was very good, worried it was going to be cold.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

If it wasn't for it's proximity to the airport and it's long term parking, i wouldn't have stayed here. But for the price of the room and parking (was cheaper to do it separate than get the hotel/park package) I couldn't find anything better at the time.

Simply put, this hotel needs a renovation and the cleaning staff needs to step it up a notch. Our room appeared to be clean, but it just has that grungy look to it. The bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows were horrible....luckily i was tired. Apparently, based on what my wife said, it was a huge benefit for me to sleep without my hearing aids in because apparently the planes were quite loud in the room throughout the night.

The breakfast they provide was horrible....crappy doughnuts and bad coffee.

Will definitely look harder before staying here again.

Room Tip: Look long and hard before making your decision.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Apparently, price was the element you where looking for when searching for a room. Our room rates vary from $89.99 to 129.99. You probably were in our room with one Queen bed, which is a smaller room. This room works well for one person. We have just remodeled our King rooms , our lobby and our lounge. The next areas to upgrade is our rooms with a Queen bed and our corridors.

We do offer a voucher of $6.50 for a fresh made breakfast in our restaurant. For a quick, early breakfast we have donuts, muffins, juice, coffee and fresh fruit.

Sorry, that the planes kept you awake but this is the first time I've heard that.
Conway, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have to say, I wasn't excited to stay here. Just 2 minutes from the airport door, the driver and front desk personnel were very nice. She explained everything in the hotel and offered suggestions. The rooms were very dated, but clean. Pool area nice and large, but the best thing about the hotel were the donuts the next morning. WONDERFUL, from a bakery near the hotel, WONDERFUL!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for staying at the Clarion Hotel. Just to let you know, we have started upgradng the Hotel. We have updated the lobby, lounge area and King bed rooms. Our next project is the hallways and Queen rooms. Glad to hear that my staff isdoing a great job.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have stayed at this property many times and have always been pleased. The staff is great, very friendly and helpful. The pool area is nice and always clean. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. An added bonus is the restaurant and bar located downstairs, they have great food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thsnks for the great comments. We love all Packer fans and Green Bay residents.. Stay at the Clarion and park your car with us. Our van runs 24 hours to and from General Mitchell International Airport

Sharon Rupena
Owner
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let me start by saying that I was looking a at last minute getaway for the labor day weekend, im from a north suburb from chicago, and when we got to the hotel,. we walked about a mile to get to our room which was located in the 3rd floor. only have one elevator far from the lobby. and then walk so far from the elevator. I was hurt from my leg and walking was a pain.
we stayed there since Fri to Mon and every day coming from the room to go out we had to walk so sooooooo far. I cant beleive there was not an exit at the other end of the hotel since we were right at the end, we had to walk thru the whole hotel just to go to our car.
Also when when we got to our room, there was no fridge,. We called and the moved us to another room.
Also, when we went to the pool, needed to go to the bathroom and came to find out there were no bathrooms in the pool area, meaning we had to go to our room which was located at the other end of the hotel. wth!!! I called the front desk and the told us that if we had to go that we needed to come out of the pool area, come towards the front desk, go back and take the stairs down to the lower level and go to the restaurant that was down there to go. wow! i was just confused with so many directions, just decided to go back to our room. I cant imagine if it was a child that needed to go how would this work exactly???? so that sucked.
other than that, it was ok i guess! but after booking this online, it was advertised as a 3-1/2 star hotel, and honestly this is closer to a 2 star! maybe 2-1/2 but thats pushing it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
sharonowner, Owner at Clarion Hotel Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Sorry that you had to walk so far. The original building had 80 rooms and no elevator. In 1988 we added 50 rooms and an elevator and in 1995 we added 50 more rooms and a large convention area. We do have another entrance to the Hotel ,it is on the West side of rhe building near the conference area. This is the area where your room was located.

We are looking at putting in a bathroom in the pool area in the near future. Please try us again..

Sharon Rupena

S
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had reservations at Milwaukee WI Airport Clarion and at approximate 2-3pm date of my reservation I placed a call to the hotel to inform them that our party was checking in late and that we would be arriving after the Milwaukee Brewers game that we were attending. I asked the man if he needed to look at our reservations and he said no and that we only needed to check in by 7am the next day. When we arrived at 10:30pm we were informed that the credit card on file was not going through and they sold the room. They also claimed they called the phone number on file which was my house #. When I check with my wife who was home and she looked for any calls that were unfamiliar, she said she did not see anything. Also, no messages were left from Clarion.
This should have never have happened. If they needed to confirm payment to reserve the room for late arrival, the man I spoke to earlier that day should have mention that. He should have at least looked at our reservation and possibly confirm payment. Also, I indicated there were 6 people on my reservation. Did they not think that out of the SIX people in my party that we would not have had a valid credit card????? When the woman at the front desk told us of the situation, she said she knew that there were no other rooms available and we could check around. I asked her to make some calls and after approximately 7-10 min she said all that was available was in Racine, WI. I told her that was the wrong directions from home and that we would prefer something toward Madison and she said we should look. SHE DID NOT EVEN BOTHER TO HELP US LOOK AT ANY ADEQUATE HOTEL ROOM TOWARDS MADISON.
When I asked to speak to a manager, she said there was no manager available and that there was not even one available to speak to over the phone. She gave me his card and to call in the morning. I got hold a of him the next day and all he could tell me was that it was policy. There was no real apology but “I’m sorry this happened to you but that is our policy”. I guess the Clarion policy is that even if you call in advance to notify the hotel that you will be arriving late, they will sell your room from under you. I usually book my hotel stays with online travel broker where I pay in advance. Instead this time, for some reason, I decided to book via the Clarion (Choice Privileges) website where they do not require payment in advance. I don’t know if I entered a wrong number with the credit card but I can tell you there should have been NO REASON besides that why my credit card should have been declined. No messages were left to notify me of this as well. And like I said, THERE WERE 5 OTHER PEOPLE WITH ME. If this is Clarion’s policy, it lacks complete common sense. Looking at the Clarion confirmation there was NOTHING that alludes to this type of policy.
This was a horrible experience for me and the group of 6 that I was with. Along with the baseball game that night and Irish Fest that was going on in town, there were no other available rooms within a 90 mile radius. I have never stayed at a Clarion and was reluctant in booking this stay but after this experience I will NEVER stay at a Clarion or Choice Privilege hotel. I would rather spend twice the cost and have to spend another these hotels. As a business owner myself, it disappoints me that a company can be run at poor level.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Hotel Airport? Share your experiences!