“Ok but old and not well done” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Park East Hotel

You added Park East Hotel to your Saves list
Park East Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   916 E State St, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #40 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Milwaukee
“Ok but old and not well done”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is not a bad hotel. It just is not nice to the point you would recommend it. It is old. The room (bed area was updated and in moderately good condition. The bath room was more the size and style you would find in a old Route 6, motor hotel for $45. There was no counter top in the bath, just little shelves on the wall. So both my wife and I had to leave our bath stuff in the room and make 20 trips back and forth to get each item. The bath tile is old and not super clean. The common areas are not super clean. They have done things like in the hall they used 1/2x6 flat pine boards for trim at the ceiling instead of a milled moldings. Likely cost the same but it appears no one cares how it looks. The shower head was nice with good flow and lots of hot water. We paid $75. For a downtown hotel that is a good price. We would go again if we had a event at the hotel, otherwise, we would spend more and get a lot nicer place. It appeared they only had one elevator working and it was really really slow and dirty.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband I really loved this place. We all came to WI to visit our parents and stayed at the Park East. They were very accommodating and put all of our rooms together so that we could spend time with each other without having to go to other floors. We had a cute room and it was very clean. We were very close downtown to all the main restaurants and activities. I would be happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My girlfriend and I were seeking an affordable hotel on the Eastside of Milwaukee, and this one fit the bill. I actually used to live in a historic hotel right around the corner from this one a few years ago (Plaza Hotel), so I was very familiar with the area. We found this one last minute listed for $67 (pre-tax) for the night. It was the cheapest deal we found aside from hotels located on the rougher side of Milwaukee.

There really wasn't much to consider - the place was cheap and located right where we wanted to be - near our brewery tour and close to Brady Street area.

I read some reviews before going, and had relatively low expectations for this place. We were staying one night and going to be out the entire night, so we didn't care too much about the hotel amenities. Funny enough, the most recent review I read was written a week earlier(11/14/14 I think), and it said the girl at the front desk seemed to hate her job. Now I want to reiterate here: my girlfriend and I had low expectations and are generally very unparticular people. That being said, the review we had read before reserving about the lackluster service was spot on - the girl at the front desk did not even greet us. My girlfriend finally said 'hello', and then she hardly replied back with a 'hi'. She didn't ask if we were checking in or what we needed, so I said "Hi, we're here to check in." She grudgingly proceeded to help us. She didn't smile - ever. She didn't make any eye contact. She didn't ask us anything about our trip or attempt to make even the smallest small-talk. Once she had us checked in, she had no follow up 'let us know if you need anything' - instead she was just awkwardly quiet and unwelcoming.

She really killed our mood for the next 20 minutes. We hardly ever get hotel rooms. We're not super well-to-do, so this was a once or twice a year kind of occasion for us, and she put a damper on it for a short while. As we walked to take the elevator, a sketchy man reeking walked out, and the elevator was clearly filled with pungent ganja odor. I wouldn't even mention this detail, but it seemed that he was the front desk girl's boyfriend, because we saw him later on waiting around the front desk.

I work in customer service and greatly enjoy interacting with people, and I was appalled by how unwelcoming the service was from the front desk girl was. My girlfriend and I wanted to tell her to cheer up, but she was clearly an unfriendly person. I don't understand how the hotel manager hired this girl to work at this hotel, but I do know it made us decide to spring a few more dollars for the nearby Astor Hotel next time. We're very friendly people, and we just wanted to feel a little bit welcomed.

The other details about the hotel: it was very mediocre, which was expected from the price-point - I would have rated it 'average' to 'good' and probably returned if it weren't for the horrible customer service.

Stayed 11/26/14.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. So I've separated them into a list of pros and cons.
Pros:
- the price was affordable
- parking was in the back and only $10 a day
- the location was convenient and in walking distance to good bars, restaurants and activities

Cons:
- the hotel is very outdated and has musty smell
- out bathroom was very small and needed a renovation
- the room was really warm/stuffy even though it was cold outside and we didn't have the heat on
- the pillows were awful, they were probably the smallest bed pillows I've come across and they were very flat (bring your own if you can)
- there's a continental breakfast that they call "Deluxe"- we went to investigate but it didn't seem appealing
- when we checked in the girl at the front desk seemed pretty indifferent to being there. The other people we talked to were friendly.

Overall the stay wasn't bad but if you're looking for modern touches, this probably isn't the place for you.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

This was my first stay at the hotel, while not luxurious, it was very comfortable. The location was great. Work was being done on the parking structure for repairs, not a bad thing... they were fixing the issue. I recommend paying for parking due to lack of parking spaces around the hotel. This was my first trip to Milwaukee but I will be going back (my niece just married and moved their). I will plan on staying at this hotel again. It is great for the price and location. Our room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was very normal for this type hotel. Milk was ice cold. Can walk to the water. Late night front desk staff could have been friendlier but other that that had no problems.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

This hotel was really nice for the money I spent. The total room with taxes was only $74 and I got a spacious, clean room, with a lot of sunlight. I ate until I was full downstairs at breakfast and the food was actually very tasty. They had egg and cheese omelets and bagels...which is amazing for a hotel to have for free. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I really enjoyed staying here. The room was nice with a view of the lake and the staff was accommodating. I looked at other hotels and frankly this hotel can not be beat for the money you spend on the room. There is a gym (which I always look for), free secure wifi, and a great breakfast. The breakfast had everything too. There was Eggs, omelettes, bagels, cereal, milk and coffee all for free!!! I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms on the left side...great lake view