“Much work needed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Park East Hotel

Save Saved
You added Park East Hotel to your Saves list
Park East Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   916 E State St, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Iowa City, Iowa
“Much work needed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I have come to Milwaukee virtually every Autumn since 2008, and I have stayed at this hotel (it was previously a Comfort Inn) each time, mainly because of the location. Over the years I have watched the hotel become increasingly worse, while the rates have risen. This time was by far my worst stay there.

I made my reservation somewhat late, so had to take a suite (I recognize this is on me). While the room was large it was exceedingly hot, so much so that even in the first half hour I was there before going out for the evening I was dizzy and uncomfortable. The air conditioning unit did not function. Also the elevator call button down from Floor 4 wasn't lighting, so I took the stairs. On my way out I asked at the desk to have the heat lowered; when I returned several hours later it was still hot, and yet another trip down - this time on the elevator, which had apparently been repaired - where I learned that due to the season the air conditioning unit had been disabled, and there would be only heat.

I spent about three hours tossing and turning in the extreme heat, taking showers every fifteen minutes or so and wetting washcloths to try and cool. Eventually I took a look at the air unit and managed to re-enable it by a switch. Still, it took several more hours for the room to cool.

Finally, my key card was deactivated multiple times; I understand that this happens, but it was an inconvenience to have to go all the way back down to have my card recharged. Desk service aided me but was not especially friendly - each time I went to speak I felt as if they were vaguely annoyed by my presence.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Searched every hotel in area, this was best cost wise. When we arrived we had trouble finding street parking. Hotel dose have parking for extra $10 per night. Staff were very helpful and nice. Place was clean for hotel standards. Be ware of elevators they are tricky but very funny he he. The free breakfast was very good. Room had nice size fridge and microwave. They are small, hardly enough room to add a cot or sleep more guests on floor. Location is walking distance to most bars. Or cab fare is less than $10 to get to most breweries or local places. They charge a rate and $1 per person which is normal. This cab driver was very nice but English is not the best. 1 414-271-1800 he shows up really fast!

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very basic hotel. It was clean, and reasonably comfortable, but certainly nothing fancy. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were small and square, which was a little odd. There are very few amenities, but the price is definitely for the budget conscious traveler and the location is pretty stellar: just a few blocks from the art museum, Bradley street, and the main part of downtown.

Parking is $10 a day, and definitely worth it for the peace of mind, as there isn't much street parking in that area.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were attending the closing night of the Milwaukee Film Festival and chose this hotel for its location and price. What a fabulous find! Yes it's an older hotel but you can see it's been updated and the rooms have everything you need including a microwave, mini-fridge, firm mattresses on the beds and a beautiful view of the lake from our fifth - floor room. All this for a really reasonable price, especially in a downtown location. The bar/nightclub wad a fun place to get a drink and our bartender, Joe, was a plus to this establishment. Definitely will be back.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First off my friends and I chose this hotel on location and price. A block from the water is pretty nice but in hindsight I would have gladly paid $10 more to stay at a motel like Hampton Inn.

Everything about this hotel is run down. The exterior, the lobby, the hallways, the elevator, the rooms all need a remodel or downright fixing. The rooms smelled, the bathrooms we grimy, and the A/C units rattled. The desk staff seemed annoyed by our presence. The parking "garage" (it's a parking lot with a level above it) drips sediment on cars and the spots are so tight that that the 3 spots between pillars really only fit 1 car.

I am shocked that a place like this can continue to operate with the amount of quality travel competition. I would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at this hotel for the past weekend while attended a wedding. Clean, rooms, nice firm beds, a bit dated, but well appointed. With a little work could be a luxury boutique hotel. Friendly, helpful staff, fun night spot (Aura) attached. The roof top observation area was closed, unfortunately. Great location within walking distance to the museums along the shore, neat appearing, condo neighborhood. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty much the same, some smaller than others, We saw four different ones
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

Our family met in Milwaukee for a weekend near the lake and we were happy to get a great rate at the Park East. We were informed at check-in that there would be no AC available but that our parking would be free as compensation. It was a warm weekend, but we were generally comfortable except for our pregnant daughter whose room was not cool enough. The rooms were clean and quiet and the beds were very comfortable. We loved the location and were able to enjoy long walks on the lakefront and plenty of places to eat and drink close by. We also loved the fantastic view on the rooftop patio, although the hotel should add some chairs up there. We were disappointed that our request for a 1-hour late checkout was denied. However, we would definitely choose the Park East in the future.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Lisa G, General Manager at Park East Hotel, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Hello

Thank you for your comments!!! I really appreciate it!
Our hotel does strive to be the best that we can. We have plenty of plans on updating in the near furure.

I am very happy that your stay was enjoyable, I am very sorry about the air conditioner, we are trying to resolve this issue and is a work in progress also if you want a later check out ask a manager next time and we will honor it...

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to extend to you once again our hospitality in the near future.

Thank you!
Lisa Guibord
Park East Hotel

Been to Park East Hotel? Share your experiences!