“Not worth the money.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
san diego
“Not worth the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Room was very comfortable. Shampoo bottle was greasy and half empty, no menu for room service, but these were minor. At 5:00 A.M. we were awaken by an alarm from the room above us!! Yes, we heard it and it woke us up. Then listened to the person(s) walking back and forth for the next 45 mins. This was the poorest insulation ever in a hotel. We travel to Milwaukee a few times a year, and we will never stay at the Hyatt Place again and definately don't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed here for a 3 day business trip in Milwaukee. Hotel has made some great upgrades including: new beds, HD TV's, great continental breakfast, 24 hour food service w/beer/wine. This is a 1st class hotel. As a single woman I felt safe during my stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
West Bend, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

I drove past the place dozens of times on the way to the airport but I couldn't find it the night I stayed there. Surprise! The hotel is going through a major renovation inside and out. It's being re-branded a Hyatt Place.

We arrived at 10PM and found only 4 cars in the parking lot. Not a good sign! Entering through the back door we found a makeshift front lobby formed from a storage room. Dust was everywhere from the construction. Check in was fast and formal no cheerfulness.

We spun around and found the elevators to carry to the third floor. Entering the elevators we found heavy padding all around to provide protection from the construction team. Arriving at the third floor we were immediately greeted by the breakfast area, or more correctly the breakfast table, where continental breakfast would be served.

As we walked down the hall way to the room you couldn't help but notice how clean everything looked. Entering the room we found a junior suite with refrigerator and microwave. The bedding was a very old full size mattress which was very soft and rough on my back.

Bathroom was sparse but very clean and functional.

We were up early to catch a flight but enjoyed the Starbucks in room coffee. Check out was a breeze and more friendly than check inn.

This was a great bargain through PriceLine. It will be an even greater place to stay when construction is completed. I'd stay again if they change the bedding.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Major construction underway
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Don't stay here... at least until all the renovations are completed. I was suspecting this to be a Hyatt Place, but it is still Amerisuites with MAJOR renovations that won't be completed until late Fall. This hotel looks like it hasn't been remodelled since 1987. My room smells like mildew.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hollywood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

Arrived at the motel without a reservation and were treated to a very friendly and helpful desk clerk. She was more than willinging to find us a room and then even offered to discount our room charge for having a business card. At the time they did not have a room with 2 queen beds, so we opted for one queen and a sofa queen sleeper. Both were fine to sleep on. Everything in the entire hotel and especially the rooms was very handicapped acccessible. Our room was a large suite that could be easily used for business purposes. It had a large bathroom and breakfast area. The location is great for the airport. We went downstairs to print out our boarding passes and had a small problem with the printer. The staff were more than willing to help and in fact had us come behind the desk and use their computer and print them out. The breakfast bar was amazing. There was every type of food imaginable and plenty of it. Just the breakfast bar alone was worth the price! Would definitely return.

• Liked — The cleanliness, personable staff and breakfast bar.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

I stayed at the Milwaukee AmeriSuites Airport this week for a business trip. The hotel was very conveniently located to the airport and they had a free shuttle, which was a nice touch. The shuttle is unmarked, so I ended up calling the hotel to find out if there was a shuttle running from the airport.

The lobby and common areas are clean, and the front desk staff was friendly. Those are about the only good things I can say about the hotel, because I found the room to be outdated and the bed just plain uncomfortable. The floor of my room creaked almost everywhere; not a big deal to me, but it certainly must have been for the people below me. The carpet was a bit worn, there were crumbs on the couch, and the air conditioner emitted a sour odor for the first hour or so after turning it on.

The walls also seemed to be very thin. I was woken up constantly all night long by noises in other people's rooms -- I could hear toilets flushing among other bathroom activities, the floors above me creaking noisily, etc. The bed was possibly the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, and that says a lot. It was hard and lumpy with scratchy sheets and an outdated bedspread, and the pillow was a strange combo of mushy in places and hard in others. I woke up exhausted, and probably would have been better served by sleeping on the floor.

As a female traveling alone, I did feel safe there. They are supposed to lock the front doors after 10pm (though I got in at 10:30 without having to use my key), and my friend who came to pick me up was stopped in the lobby earlier in the day because they didn't recognize her. One negative: When I went downstairs in the morning for the free continental breakfast, my key stopped working. I had to return to the front desk to have it reprogrammed, and the front desk staff didn't ask me my name or ask for ID. She merely asked my room number and programmed the key -- it would be very easy for someone to overhear you saying your room number and then get a key for themselves.

The continental breakfast was pretty standard -- fruit, yogurt, mini bagels and muffins, cereal, and a waffle station.

• Liked — close to airport
  • Disliked — horribly uncomfortable bed, outdated room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

I've stayed here off and on over the years since it was Manchester Suites. Each time I book here I do so on the anticipation that the problems I experienced last time were flukes, only to have them recur.

The last time I stayed here, I was actually given the key to what must have been another guest's room - there was an unpacked suitcase in the room!

I went down and got a key for a different room, and this one was fine, but the bathroom fixtures are worn and they really, really need new mattresses; they're lumpy and feel like they're the original ones the hotel has had since it opened.

But the biggest problem is that if you leave your room after about 11:00 AM, there's only a 50% chance your room will be serviced.

I've generally stayed for about a week on each trip and generally leave my room for the day around 11:00 AM, and literally on each of my last three stays housekeeping didn't bother to service the room on at least one day of my stay.

What's worse is that when complaining to management, they simply offer a token "sorry about that." There's never an offer to extend some Hyatt points, take a token amount off the bill or anything else. Just a "we'll talk to housekeeping" (leaving me to hope the housekeeper won't retaliate during the trip.)

Making sure each room is serviced isn't rocket science; I've never had that problem in other cities I've stayed.

If they get management that is more customer friendly, new mattresses and housekeepers that care, it would be a big step forward.

That having been said, the hotel is very well kept otherwise, and since it doesn't have a pool, is very quiet as there are few families with kids, mostly business travelers. The lobby also offers free popcorn (though once again, on an infrequent basis; one night there was none and the front desk guy said he hadn't felt like making any that night as the hotel didn't have that many guests.)

The hotel also has nice free Internet, both wired and wireless.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Place Milwaukee Airport? Share your experiences!