“Weird hotel but ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Knickerbocker on the Lake

Save Saved
You added Knickerbocker on the Lake to your Saves list
Knickerbocker on the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1028 East Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Ocala, Florida
“Weird hotel but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I used to stay here for business. Weird hotel. Kind of place you would think is haunted. It's overpriced and definitely not your typical hotel. Overall I never really had any problems and it was always clean. I guess if you want something unique then I recommend this place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I used to live just up the street, & this location is one of the best you can get for downtown. I really liked the historic nature of the hotel - lovely lobby, even the hotel room doors have character (used to serve as laundry pick-up spots in the olden days). The old fashioned bathroom was small but cute - it would be a shame to ever remove the old fixtures. My room (818) had very nice hardwood floors, all new stylish kitchen cupboards & counter. Generally very attractive & comfortable. But don't look too close - while it is clean by the majority of people's standards, I could see the cleaning staff did only a cursory swipe. The grey glup around the bathroom sink faucets which I immediately saw? I assumed it must be calcified or hardened, or how else could a cleaning person miss it? But nope, one swipe with a bit of toilet paper and it was gone. And when I took a plate out of the cupboard to heat up the pervious night's leftovers? A look at it in the light showed it also got only a meager swipe, and was not really thoroughly washed - same for the next plate. (And one can only imagine what the cleaning person wiped it with...) And while the room was attractive, a look at the colorful paint on the walls showed some sloppiness as well (colors bleeding into each other where they meet, and not fixed). As for the staff, my initial impression was very good, as they gave me a reminder call about my reservation a day or two before. But the actual girl who sat behind the counter when I arrived was apparently there just to occupy the seat - certainly not to welcome anyone. The man occupying that same seat in the morning was pleasant, professional, and helpful. A bit of a mixed bag.
I would definitely stay here again - and the hotel itself has a good bit of charm to it. It's the staff (cleaning & front desk), for the most part, that let it down.
Also, about the parking - I was lucky enough to get street parking right in front of the hotel, after meter time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located between Downtown and Eastside Milwaukee, Clean rooms.. The Lobby can be improved. corridors carpets needs to be changed as it does look old and dated. otherwise an excellent choice to be in downtown Milwaukee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great boutique hotel. Clean and comfortable and great staff. Associated with a restaurant I have reviewed before which is also awesome. Bathrooms are a little small for my 6 foot plus brother but they came is late for my daughter's wedding and the staff made them feel so at home. My sister had stayed at another hotel in town which shall not be named but was aweful so having such good service was a huge plus.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
OC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We spent one Saturday night at this wonderful historic hotel with modern amenities. 6 of us in a roomy 2 bedroom apartment with full kitchen. Spent time catching up in the large living room with Flat screen TV and made some of our own appetizers in the microwave and oven, with cocktails before heading out to bars and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here because a block of rooms were reserved for a wedding we were attending.

The first impression of the hotel is that it is very nice. I walked through the main entrance and looked for the registration desk. There are signs, so I followed them, which led me to a teeny tiny built-in counter with a woman sitting behind it. The sign saying "registration" showed an arrow as if there were another area beyond this teeny tiny counter. I asked, "Is this registration?" and the response I got was rather patronizing. I ignored it. I asked if we could check in early and was told that the good news was yes, we could check in early but the bad news was that there wasn't any parking available in the lot. There was a lengthy, convoluted explanation as to how we could manage parking on a Saturday with about 4 hours left while the parking meters were still in effect, while we tried to attend the wedding. "Park the car...move after two hours...then there are only two more hours left for valid meter parking..then move the car..." It was as if I was hearing a skit from Saturday Night Live about a bad hotel experience.

The room was a suite, I suppose, because it included a small refrigerator, sink and stove, which we did not use. There was a double-sized bed (small), a sofa and a large chair. They tried to make a very old room look modern through bedding, window treatments and pictures, but the fact is, this is an old hotel that smells old. The bathroom was teeny-tiny, but very clean and well maintained.

There was just one mirror in the room, and it was in the bathroom. No full-length mirror, which would have been handy considering we were going to a wedding, and two of us were trying to get ready.

I wanted to check out other amenities that might be available in the hotel, but the pages of that information were missing from the hotel book kept in the room.

Given a choice, I probably would not stay here again, unless the room rate was teeny tiny, and even then I'd most likely spend the bigger bucks and go someplace where the staff is a little friendlier, the hotel a bit better smelling and where, when I leave, I feel I got a pretty good experience for the money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I were planning a weekend getaway and we decided on the the Knickerbocker. The pictures on their website looked great, so we booked it for Friday and Saturday. When we walked in the hotel it seemed charming, but when we got to our suite not so. The room's are very run down and need updating. The bathroom was not good at all. It was very old and it did not look like it was cleaned very well. Since we had a suite, it had a working kitchen. The floors in the kitchen were sticky, not sure what from, plus it smelled like mold. We decided to only stay for one night and leave on Saturday, because we did not feel comfortable. The hotel did refund us for the Saturday night and seemed not surprise that we were leaving. The hotel itself is in a nice location downtown, close to the lake and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself really needs some TLC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Knickerbocker on the Lake? Share your experiences!