“Quirky but nice!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Knickerbocker on the Lake

You added Knickerbocker on the Lake to your Saves list
Knickerbocker on the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1028 East Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Quirky but nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you are looking for great hotel services, this is not it! If you like the feel of staying in your Aunt Mary's apartment in Milwaukee, this is perfect. A little shabby but serviceable. The baths could use some updating as could the furnishings. The housekeeping services are spotty, you can get everything you need if you ask but the service is not consistent on a daily basis. If feels a bit like an old residence hotel vs. a "real" hotel, but we like that! Fantastic location near the lake, great dining in the building and close by and easy parking (they charge extra for that). Terrible internet service. Lovely bath products.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rock Island, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I often stay at the Knickerbocker when I visit my son in Milwaukee. Every time I've gone, the staff has been friendly and attentive, the rooms clean and the atmosphere... I feel like I've stepped back in time to an era when gentlemen tipped their bowler hats to ladies wearing long white gloves. This is a classic city hotel with the bonus of being next to Lake Michigan. I look forward to my next trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We booked our room at The Knickerbocker because there were literally no other rooms available in Milwaukee due to the NML convention in town. The photos on line looked good so we decided to take a chance. Don't be fooled. The photos do not represent the property accurately. As we made our way to our room and got off the elevator and walked down the hallway we smelled urine immediately. We should've turned back at that point but, we didn't have another option so we continued on to our room. We opened the door to find a space that looked like it had been furnished with findings of some random garage sale! The furniture was old, warn and didn't coordinate at all. They were even using a wooden stool as an end table for the sofa in the living area. Classy. The huge bleach stain on the carpet in the same room looked as if it could be the scene of some past homicide! I walked into the kitchen, I noticed personal notes from the previous occupant held with a magnet on the fridge. In the bedrooms it was more of the same. More garage sale type furniture and the quilt on the master bed wasn't even large enough to completely cover the bed. Though we had a three night reservation, we stayed the one sleepless night we had to. Thankfully we found another room for the next two. Take my advise and avoid this property! YUCK!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oak Brook, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at the Knickerbocker and should of read the reviews. The front desk check in - the woman was on the phone stood there forever waiting to find out about parking and was not friendly. Came back later after the fest room was no very cleaned. Asked for a King Bed had two hard double beds. The outlets did not work - had to find one in the room that worked. Bathroom was just plain icky Price was expensive and was terrible -I was expecting as another reviewed an upscale hotel -Just plan bad -

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I travel a lot for work and was pretty excited about going to the Knickerbocker for a wedding. Online it looked adorable and for the expensive price; I was sure this was going to be one of the best hotels ever. Oh dear god... was I wrong.

When we arrived the desk clerk said she wasn't sure if our room had been cleaned could we wait. Sure, no biggie. Then she said... I'm sure it was, go ahead up and call if it hasn't and we'll take care of it. When we walked it, I thought ooops hasn't been cleaned. The bed sheets didn't look washed, there was trash on the side table and everything was just kind of rundown.
THEN, I walked into the bathroom and there was pubic hair all over the shower and the toilet seat. There was a used bar of soap that apparently had been used by Sasquatch-covered in hair.

I called down to confirm it had not been cleaned. A different clerk told me it was but he would send housekeeping up. The housekeepr was incredibly rude and told me she had cleaned. When I showed her the bathroom she said: Oh I must have missed that! EWWWW. what else did you miss. I went down to demand a new room and a discount for the trouble. (We were now late for the rehearsal dinner.) We were switched to the room next door. It was just as rundown but at least clean (at least that's what I'm telling myself.) I called hotels all that night to see if we could change hotels but everything was booked.

They gave us a $20 discount for the trouble - $20 on a nearly $200 room GIVE ME A BREAK. That barely pays for your $15 parking fee. I felt dirtier sleeping in the bed than I did after 5 hours of dancing at the wedding.

If you have a reservation here... GET OUT NOW.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

useless service, if you can call it service. the staff seem to be bothered by anything you ask and are not volunteering any sort of information, a check in normally requires the reception to do more than to give you a key. check in 1t 3pm is too late, at 2:40 I gave up waiting and left my bag there. mind you I had to find my own way to the bag area. got woken up in the morning twice asking if i want my room cleaned. the room was nice but old and small bathroom. location was good, there is a close by supermarket and you can walk to town but it takes a while. would not recommend staying here, stay somewhere where you feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had guests stay at the Knickerbocker for our wedding. They were so helpful, very nice and patient with me when I called a ton of times to ask more and more questions. I stayed there the night before the wedding and it was neat. There was a mini- kitchen in the room! The staff was just great.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Knickerbocker on the Lake? Share your experiences!