“useless service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Knickerbocker on the Lake

Save Saved
You added Knickerbocker on the Lake to your Saves list
Knickerbocker on the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1028 East Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #40 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Brisbane, Australia
“useless service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

useless service, if you can call it service. the staff seem to be bothered by anything you ask and are not volunteering any sort of information, a check in normally requires the reception to do more than to give you a key. check in 1t 3pm is too late, at 2:40 I gave up waiting and left my bag there. mind you I had to find my own way to the bag area. got woken up in the morning twice asking if i want my room cleaned. the room was nice but old and small bathroom. location was good, there is a close by supermarket and you can walk to town but it takes a while. would not recommend staying here, stay somewhere where you feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had guests stay at the Knickerbocker for our wedding. They were so helpful, very nice and patient with me when I called a ton of times to ask more and more questions. I stayed there the night before the wedding and it was neat. There was a mini- kitchen in the room! The staff was just great.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel is in a nice location, but the place itself is not that great. It’s interesting because of its age but the nostalgia wears off quickly. The sheets at first glance made me wonder if the bed had been changed. The bathroom sports a pedestal sink so there is no counter space, you can put your toiletries in a wall cabinet behind you. The water temperature in the shower fluctuates quite a bit, a few seconds of way too hot. They didn’t clean up the room like a regular hotel. You get a kitchen and small dining table, but the coffee cup and glass I used, some small trash were still there after the room was done. 2 clocks and neither had the correct time, I think one was dead. The rooms have window a/c units. My a/c never quit running, it didn’t really cool the room, adequate at best. The parking was the worst of any hotel I’ve ever stayed at.

I arrived in the afternoon. There was no parking available at the curb by the hotel entrance. I saw that the parking lot for the hotel had a gate entry arm, meaning you need an entry card to get in, and you can’t get an entry card unless you check in. I drove around several times and there was no parking available on any side streets. Finally, I was lucky enough to see some space in front of the hotel but it was a No Parking zone. I asked a restaurant valet about parking for the hotel. He was nice, he said I could turn my flashers on for about 15 minutes to check in and take my luggage to the room. When I got to the hotel counter I asked about parking and I was told by Larry that their parking lot was full and that I needed to park on the side streets. I knew there were no spaces, but since I was in a no parking zone, I didn’t want to waste time so I hurried to the room. From my room, I looked out the window and I could see down into the hotel parking lot. There were about 5 spaces open. When I went downstairs I told Larry and a female employee at the front desk that I saw several spaces available. He replied that the spaces were all assigned to customers already and that my only choice was to park “off street”. No apologies, nothing. Very unhappy but I left because I had dinner plans elsewhere and I thought parking would be available in the street as the night went by.

When I was driving back from dinner, I noticed that there were many people with chairs and blankets congregating at Juneau Park. I didn’t know it at the time but they were gathering for fireworks, this was the first night of Summer Fest. The parking situation was now really bad, the number of cars looking for off street parking had multiplied since earlier and also lots of people walking to the park. I parked in the same no parking zone and waited quite a long time for someone to leave, it was useless. I went into the lobby and Larry was still there, the female employee was gone. I asked again about parking. He said I needed to drive to Prospect and look for street parking there. I said I was a customer and I shouldn’t have to drive around and park so many blocks away. Another lady came in and stood in line behind me while this conversation went on. I asked Larry where he parked, no answer. He answered about 3 phone calls while I was at the service window. I asked if the hotel will pay for my car to be retrieved if it got towed, he said no. I asked for a manager, he said the manager was gone and would not be back until the morning. I then asked if he will put me in another hotel with parking. He said I have an “access spot” (handicap) and you can park there. Then he motioned to the lady behind me and told her he was not giving away her spot, that he had 2! I received an entry card plus a hang tag for the rearview mirror so I was angry-happy. Halleluiah! It was about 9:30p when I got to the room to unpack. The next day I returned after 10pm. Someone was parked in my assigned parking space, the handicap slot. There was no hang tag on the rearview. I drove around the small lot, no open spaces and back to the handicap slot and parked in front of the car occupying the space. I walked in the lobby and spoke to the same female from the night before. I told her someone parked in my space. She says that SHE parked in that space and that the cards only give me access to the lot, not the space! Remember?- just the day before there were several spaces and she was present when Larry told me spaces were all assigned and for this reason I did not get an entry card. What?? Then the hag tells me there is a space in the back of the building and that’s where I can park. No remorse, no offer to move her car so the customer can park there. Both mornings I saw that even at 6a.m. there was no curbside parking available. I don’t think it mattered that Summer Fest was going on, there are several apartments in the area. Drive there at your own peril.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in the junior suite. It was like a small apartment. We had a separate kitchen with a full fridge, stove and microwave. They also had glasses, utensils and cookware. We had 2 closets and quite a bit of space including in room free internet. It was quite old an interesting, yet updated and comfortable. The shower was a bit weak. But the decor was fun and we enjoyed discussing the different pieces, including the very unusual doors which opened up 2 ways. The houskeeping did a good job, but did not come one of the days... we are not sure why. Great location across from a park down by the lake. Service at the front desk was good. We also ate at the restaurant on site which had phenomenal food. We had tilapia with a succotash which was very fresh and tasty. We also had a hummus with artichoke and tomatoes paired with warm pita. I loved it. Good experience. We will return. I did not see a pool or fitness center, so I put average as not sure on them...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is need of renovations. This was made apparent by the pounding that began at 8:30am on a Sunday. On what planet would you allow renovations to begin at that hour, on a Sunday, I have no idea. On what planet you would allow someone to be placed in a room directly adjacent to renovations when it's not fully booked, I have no idea.

I intended for a sweet night with my girlfriend who I had not seen in 3.5 months, we got have the night in peace and the morning ruined. The reaction by the front desk was dismal at best.

Room Tip: Obviously, ask where renovations are being done.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there for a business trip for 2 weeks and was really a wonderful, safe place near to lake with lake view in the room. Walkable distance to Metro Market, Restaurants, Starbucks, AT&T, Indian hotels. 10 minutes walk to E Wisconsin where most of the giant companies are!! Gym was small but it is kept good. Got a parking lot in the hotel easily which I found was little difficult and unsafe to park outside on downtown. Room we stayed was 1 bed, with attached kitchen and it has everything to cook for two. Receptionists are so friendly!! @lmost enjoyed my stay here!!

• Stayed December 2012
Newport, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Spent just one night at the Knickerbocker hotel - staff was very cordial and efficient at check in/out. Looks like most of the hotel rooms of this semi-converted apt. building are on the 7th floor, near the top of the building. It was well outfitted with all the kitchen utensils one needs. The room was spacious, with an office alcove next to the small kitchen. The kitchens are obviously well used as their was a smell of bacon from another apt. A very noisy but efficient a/c cranked away all day/night. A good bar and restaurant is on the ground floor.

For a bit of old Milwaukee just a block from Juneau Park and Lake Michigan, the Knick was pretty neat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Knickerbocker on the Lake? Share your experiences!