“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Portland, Oregon
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Very nice historic hotel in a beautiful spot in Milwaukee Wisconsin. It's within walking distance to Lake Michigan and Juneau Park, downtown Milwaukee, Brady Street and more. After reviewing the other reviews, I think the thing to know is many of the rooms have been upgraded so you need to request an upgraded room. Also, many of the rooms have a view of Lake Michigan. Our room was clean with new carpeting, new bedding, big flat screen TV, etc. Many of the rooms have large kitchens and a sitting area which is really nice. Bottom line, I would recommend staying at this hotel but ask for an upgraded or renovated room. And if you want to spend a little more, request a room with a view.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room and if you want, a room with a view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

After reading some of the reviews about the Knickerbocker I was a little concerned. A friend of mine had booked a block of rooms for her wedding and I'd already made the reservations before I saw these reviews and it made me a little nervous. I really had nothing to fear. We stayed in room 818 which was one of the single rooms with a Queen sized bed. The room had literally JUST been redone (in the kitchen cabinets I found the baggies with extra hardware and instructions on one of the shelves still and a can of paint in the closet). Aside from that, the room was great! The hardwood floor was beautiful (no crunchy carpets in sight.), the bed was comfy and the bathroom, while still a little outdated, was clean. I loved the look of the kitchenette/tv stand. If you don't think you really need one of the larger rooms then go with the single room option. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, stove, cabinet of dishes, and plenty of counter space. The elevators are a little old and slow and when you check in at the main desk you can see that the office area still needs some work, but overall I thought the place was beautiful and I would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We knew as we drove up, we had made a mistake. The window unit air conditioners told us we were in for problems. The window air conditioner was the least of our problems. My friend checked in for both couples. I chose a room. Turns out I was choosing between real bad and even worse. Within seconds of walking in the room, we were texting each other with the hilarious details of our room. Our room had a 13" tv likely made in 1985. That was the newest thing in the room. Everything else was older than I am and I have an adult child. Long story short, the rug was disgusting, the bathroom was a joke, sleeping in my car would have been more comfortable, the decor was creepy, and the elevators were a death trap.
The positive, we will have a story for a lifetime to laugh with our friends, about the night we survived the Knick.
Oh, and they charged us $170. I wouldn't buy the place for $170. As I said, if this is your only option of a place to stay, stay home.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Menomonie, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Perhaps you are considering the Knickerbocker to for it's classic charm or historical roots. Perhaps you like the location. STOP. Don't do it. This hotel is not only dated, it is outdated. From the crunchy carpet to the bathroom mold, you'll soon realize that sometimes old is not charming, it is just sad.

Oh, and the parking. Don't expect to get parking in the lot. And don't believe "there's plenty of street parking nearby." We had to park almost a mile away.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. County Clare just around the corner looked nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I was a bit wary after reading the reviews on here, but had no problems at all with the Knickerbocker. I managed to get a room downtown for a busy weekend, and the staff we met were very nice. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the history and decor. It felt like I was back in time, which was neat. We had no trouble sleeping, and definitely enjoyed the 12pm check out time. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Crystal Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We at the Knicker which was fantastic. I also visited the Spa. It was impromptu. I had a great experience with them. The room is old and goofy. A strange kitchenette. The door was impossible to open with the key. I got a great deal on the room. I would have been upset had I paid more. Looked like my grandma's room. Bed was really uncomfortable. Walking distance to the lake.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Well, this "hotel" is a 1/3 rental apartments/sub leases, 1/3condos, and 1/3 hotel...So I had reserved a room with 2 beds, they assigned me 1 bed, and the lady at the desk said it "was my lucky day they had an available 2 bed room, No it was not my lucky day, I reserved a 2 bed accommodations,, I have stayed here 4 times now and I probably would stay here again, but the people at the front desk are useless.

The restaurants are really good, and the bar is a nice place. The location is really too far to "walk" anywhere, and too far from down town...when I say "too far" I mean 10 blocks, but when its getting late and you want to grab a bite, its not an easy walk.

the bar staff is a "10", I have been going there for a year now and they treat everyone great.

It is just the hotel staff that suck!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Knickerbocker on the Lake? Share your experiences!