“A curious experience...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Milwaukee
Pasadena, CA
“A curious experience...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have to admit, nothing beats free. I tagged along with my husband to a conference and Milwaukee, and everything happened at this hotel (the classes, the meals, etc). While the husband is out and about with other attendees, I had a chance to explore downtown Milwaukee on foot. The weather was gorgeous, and the city is very manageable on foot. MAM (Milwaukee Art Museum) and Pabst Manor are some of the highlights.

But I digress. For some reason I kept thinking the conference was at the Intercontinental a few blocks away, so did all my research and planning based on there. When I was gently reminded that the video I was watching and faithfully taking notes off of (Intercontinental had a very helpful video by their concierge on what to do around town) is not from the host hotel, I must admit I was disappointed.

I digress again. Since I was already disappoint before I even set foot in the hotel thru no fault of Hyatt, I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. And as in most experiences in life, the truth is a mixed bag.

PROS: the service is very good. From check-in to almost 4 square meals a day (buffets galore, the host really wanted to feed us well), the staff are friendly and focused, and everything happened very smoothly. Rooms were always kept clean, and room service is decent.

The location of this place is a big plus. I understand it is linked by a sky bridge directly to the convention center. Although the immediately surrounding isn't stellar, the location is central and close to everything (River Walk, Historical Society, stadiums, and convention center,... did I mention the Intercontinental?)

The rooms are new and clean. Pleasantly appointed with ample storage space. The water pressure in the shower is strong and awesome. The bedding is super super comfortable and very relaxing. The sheets and the pillow cases are very very soft.

CONS: during one evening in the elevator when all the attendees are heading back up to their rooms, one of the attendees blurted out, "Man, if my ex-wife was here, she wouldn't last a day. She would have jumped!" As he exited the elevator, the remaining passengers all agreed that it was a macabre comment. I secretly admired the man for pointing out the 800-pound gorilla in the room (no pun intended, in our case, it's the whole building): The entire building is a bunch of rooms surrounding a HUGE void space. All the corridors are open on one side to this oppressive source of vertigo. I believe in the 1970s it was considered very cool, and it is called an Atrium (yes, I am being facetious). Many of the reviews I read here mention the noise being an issue, but no one seems to note why: it's the building!!! It's is one of those dilemmas that all property owners must face: should one hang on for another 30 years and see if my building is going to be retro and chic (like 1950s "mid-century modern"), or do I have an outdated facility on my hands? (I did read on one review that the Anime attendees tried to address the issue, by having screaming contests up the space... very creative and sophomoric. At least the teens are honest and tried to acknowledge there is something odd about the building!)

Another inherent issue lies in the unchangeable fact that every window is set at a deep exterior window ledge... and it is very hard to clean. In our few days there, I watched as hundreds of little flying bugs get caught at multiple spiders' webs right outside my window. The debris at the ledge can be easily avoided by pulling the curtains, I guess.

There is an very conscientious effort to modernize the building to Hyatt standards, and the effort should be applauded. Most of the attempts do work: the interior of the guest rooms as well as the restrooms, etc. There is a gray accent throughout every floor, punctuated by "random" planters (yes, the plants are plastic). This only added to the overly odd atrium space being very gloomy as well. There is even a new coat of paint on the exterior of the building... but gray! Double gloom! The carpet along the corridors are also utilitarian (busy pattern to hide dirt) rather than aesthetic.

Every brand wants to establish themselves as unique, and Hyatt has a special fragrance they use at all their properties... it's a tad too strong for me, and mixed with the smell of laundry soap and steam (one of the 2 exits of the hotel is right next to the air outlet vent), the overall effect is simple unpleasant.

In the room itself, the only thing I noticed in a bad way was the carpet felt dirty and "flat" always, even without stain marks or visible dirt. Bring your own slippers or wear socks...

The water pressure in the toilet is also an interesting phenomenon: the flush flows so slowly, I was sure the toilet was going to flood every time: but it never did. I just needed to have more faith.

All in all, a very curious experience at a proven hotel brand.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MilwaukeeHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review - please rest assured that all issues that can be addressed, will be. The atrium-style design of the hotel is something that we do our best to work with, and we hope to continue to be successful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. It's beautiful, it wasn't TOO expensive (I booked through an external site), and was the perfect location for a wedding I attended downtown. The only mild complaint I have is regarding parking. It was a little pricey for my liking, but downtown parking will always be expensive, so I expected the high price. It was nice that the parking structure had a skywalk directly into the hotel, though. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sadly, as we do not own or operate the parking structure we are attached to, we cannot control the pricing. We are, however, happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Janesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The front desk staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. I accidentally misplaced my room key and the night clerk was very kind and replaced the key without any hassle. The fitness center was great and had top of the line equipment. My room had access to the Regency Club and I enjoyed the hot breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are happy to have been so accommodating during your stay...we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Columbus, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay here on business and always enjoy the view from the rooms on the higher floors. Nice having the skywalk to the convention center. Food is always very good, but there are some great restaurants near the hotel as well. Short walk to Bucks, Admirals games.

Room Tip: Get a higher level room for a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are always glad to hear from our frequent travellers!
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times for business and traveling with my family. It's a nice upscale hotel as you would expect. The rooms are fine, but nothing particularly special. But the location is really good for any activity downtown. There are a number of very good restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you get a room on a higher floor the view is great!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review...we hope to see you again soon!
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved everything ! The room was fantastic the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. We loved the restaurant and the workout room. We walked to restaurants and bars every night there were so many in walking distance ! We enjoyed the view from our room. The only thing I could say is complimentary wifi would have been great. We did see the reviews about parking and so we opted to park in another less expensive garage and walked a bit further.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MilwaukeeHyatt, Manager at Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Wow...what a wonderful review! Please keep in mind for next time that we do offer complimentary wifi in our lobby and public spaces, so feel free to log in!
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Surprised that it is considered a 3.5 star hotel and only gets a 3.5 on Tripadvisor. Location is a hit (if going to sporting event or convention) or miss if elsewhere. The hotel layout was nice and convenient to access. We had a room on the 18th floor and I was really surprised that the view was very nice. Room was clean and well appointed.

I have to single out Juan during the breakfast buffet who was genuinely very nice and helpful, since most buffet staff are nice enough but usually not such a standout.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, and we will be sure to let Juan know of your kind words. We take great pride in our staff & their service to our guests!

Been to Hyatt Regency Milwaukee? Share your experiences!