“Wedding reception” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
Iowa City, Iowa
“Wedding reception”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My daughter was recently married and we had the wedding reception at the Astor. We blocked 25 rooms. The hotel is not new or renovated, but clean and the staff of the hotel is very accommodating. Our problems came two days before the wedding reception when there was a water leak from a shower in one of the apartments above the banquet room. They were very slow to stop the leak, clean up the water, and dry out the carpet. The maintenance staff was still attempting to dry the carpet an hour before guests were to arrive. Luckily, the majority of guests did not know anything was wrong, except for the people sitting on the wet carpet area. The food was excellent, the bar service was ample, and everyone had a great time. Would have been less stressful if the Banquet Manager would have been more attentive and gotten the maintenance staff working quicker. Many of us ate breakfast several days in the dining room. Food was great but the staff was overworked and the silverware was dirty. The Astor could be so much better with a little attention to details!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Richmond VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Astor Hotel was the first place I stayed in Milwaukee when I arrived. I ended up staying three times. My first visit was four nights in a rather small room. However I was not in the room much and it was clean, quiet and dark so I got a good sleep. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast at the hotel restaurant was great and fairly inexpensive. The neighborhood is fantastic with a short walk to Juneau Park over looking the Lake and short walks to many great restaurants. The only complaint was the size of my room and if there had been any other problems I might not have come back. The second stay was 10 nights and I was glad I came back. Had a very spacious room this time and since I was in my room more due to staying over the weekend I was very happy to have the extra space. They were installing the window air conditioners as the weather was getting nicer as summer approached. I would highly recommend the Astor if you are on a budget but try to get a bigger room if you will be in it enough to appreciate the extra space.

Room Tip: Choose a room with two queen beds rather than a single king and the more nights you book the more l...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Built in the 20s, the Astor has charm that most hotels do not. The lobby is beautiful, the room was perfect, and the location was great. The only thing I want crazy about was the hallway had kind of an odd scent.

• Stayed May 2014
McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We waited too late to book several rooms for a conference in Milwaukee and ended up here. Although the website lists air conditioned rooms, they were not (nor heated). Even with my windows open, I burned up all night while a coworker froze to death, and they were out of portable heaters for use. As I type this, there is a clothes dryer running a couple of doors from my room and it's louder than my television. No sound insulation whatsoever. If there are ANY people talking in the hallway, it's like they're in your room and talking loudly. My hair dryer doesn't work and the floor is scary - glad I have socks to wear! I was the only person in the bar/restaurant for most of the previous evening and wish I'd gone somewhere else to eat. Charm? Perhaps. Just not worth the negatives! Can't wait to check out & move to a hotel by the airport.

Room Tip: Away from any laundry facilities.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Astor for a conference. It was reasonable in price and just off the beaten path. But only a mile to downtown. The rooms were clean and had a vintage feel. Which I loved. The best part of my experience was the customer service. Everyone from the desk staff to the waitresses were friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed the complimentary shuttle. The driver Brian was a true delight. He was friendly, timely, and made my experience of getting around in the cold that much easier. The Astor would be lucky to have ten more just like him. If you are looking for updated luxury the Astor may not be for you. But if you want a vintage feel and lots of charm, it's a true gem in an otherwise industrial landscape.

• Stayed March 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for a quick visit (1 night). I also wanted to check it out in case we wanted to use for an upcoming wedding. The hotel has its charms - loved the historic door and the rooms had a historic yet somewhat updated feel.

Downsides came with the rooms not being soundproof at all. You could hear everything going on in the halls (those historic doors seemed to act as amplifiers). And could hear everything in next room - and it wasn't the TV.

The bathroom shower was not up to good quality. And my room bathroom backed up to laundry machines that seems to run late night/early morning.

Hotel is also extended-rent rooms, I believe -- made for a different feel with meeting people in elevator, etc.

Will likely not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

You know you are in someplace special when the door to the room has a regular old key and double sided doors where the dry cleaned clothing was left when returned to its rightful owner. Plenty of hot water, comfortable bed and in the room satelite TV (Internet was included). And several blocks away from Lake Michigan. Would do it again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!