“The charm of an older hotel” 3 of 5 stars

You added Astor Hotel to your Saves list
Astor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   924 East Juneau Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Milwaukee
“The charm of an older hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

You know you are in someplace special when the door to the room has a regular old key and double sided doors where the dry cleaned clothing was left when returned to its rightful owner. Plenty of hot water, comfortable bed and in the room satelite TV (Internet was included). And several blocks away from Lake Michigan. Would do it again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

1st off, our room was non smoking and it was clean. Walking distance to lots of places. Great eating places near by too. Room was small, quaint but all we needed as we were only sleeping there. What we expected from a 100 year old building. Hot water rad heater, room was 1000 degrees when we opened the door. Turned off the rads and opened a window for the rest of our stay and it was comfortable. Didn't appear to have a/c so remember if you're there in warm weather. Bathroom clean, no fan, small space but adequate. Restaurant in building offered reasonably priced breakfasts. Bed was comfy, didn't care for the pillows, clean linens and towels, duvet was clumpy but we didn't need it anyways. Needs upgrades and it could be an awesome old hotel. Staff honoured our hotel.com receipt stating parking $7 a day (they wanted to charge $10)

Room Tip: Walls thin, heard people in the halls, request away from elevator and end of hall
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I, too, made the mistake of staying here and the Astor now tops my list of "worst domestic hotel experience." My husband and I arrived in Milwaukee separately and he was the first to check in. He went through two rooms, each of which were small, rundown, loud, dirty, with cracked walls, chipped paint, old bedding, and one with a broken window and the other with no windows. He passed on those and nearly walked out (though he should have). Unfortunately, he was duped into viewing their "recently renovated suite," which they offered to discount to $80 per night. Because of the hotel's central location (we were in town for a wedding) and utter despair, he agreed. Enter me. Nothing about the room was "recent" or "renovated." The bed and chairs were uncomfortable and the walls had visible cracks and holes. The television hummed whenever we turned it on. The bathroom was tiny and the shower had an old wire hair trap with water that was either burning hot or frigid. The outlets were too big to hold any of our chargers/devices. By the time we arrived, we were both exhausted and had wedding activities to get to, so we figured we would save the money, suck it up and stay. Bad idea. We were awoken at 3am, 4am, and 5am by shouts, screams, and the loud, drunken voices of what sounded like 30 people in our room because the walls were so thin. All shared space - the entrance, hallways, and elevators are in similar disrepair. Though the hotel tried to brush it off as "historic charm," it was nothing of the sort. Between the lumpy bed, overstuffed pillows and musty smell, I woke up unrested and congested both mornings. This hotel needs serious work and Milwaukee has enough options at competitive price points that it is not worth your time or money. Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This is probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had. We walked into the small, dark room and immediately my dust allergies went crazy. I only am affected by a large amount of dust and I could hardly breathe. The bed was not study and was only and creaky. The comforter was just a bunch of huge feather lumps (about the size of my fist). The ringer at the front desk didn't work so we couldn't call for help or to ask questions. They told us there was room service breakfast and when we called in the morning, the restaurant said they didn't do room service (even though the room menu said they did). Finally, the walls and doors are thin/have bad seals. A group of drunken people kept us up from 3-6 am even though we had someone from the hotel come up to talk to them at 5:00. We are checking out and heading to the Hilton Garden Inn right now!

• Stayed October 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had blocked off rooms at the Astor Hotel for my wedding. I did not have my wedding reception or ceremony there, but that did not affect the type of service I received. I blocked off rooms at several other hotels in the area and can say that I received the best service at the Astor Hotel. I dealt mostly with Patrick and have nothing but positive things to say about him. He was very informative, helpful and accommodating. I have never had this type of experience at a hotel before.

Starting with my initial contact with him, the service I received was above and beyond the other hotels and what I expected. Because of this, I highly recommended that my family and friends stay at the Astor (which they did). The only reason I had guests staying at other hotels is because the Astor was sold out of rooms.

My family and friends were very impressed with the service provided to us by the staff. They all have nothing to great things to say about their stay and will definitely stay again! It is also a historic landmark, which is sets it apart from your typical hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was the worst hotel I have stayed at in a long time with a cramped dark room, a shower that went down to a dribble if someone else was using water and a view of a brick wall out of cracked window.

When we checked in our room smelled overwhelmingly of smoke and was very hot and there are no inroom controls for temperature. We were obviously in one of the rooms that had not been renovated.

The TV had very few channels and had a highpitched whine when it was on that made it unwatchable.

The lobby was charming. The staff was friendly and the location was good - close the lake and downtown scene.

However, If you have any other options I would not stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shorewood, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I really wanted to like the Astor. I like historic hotels, and this one has family history attached, with wedding receptions going back to the 30's and 40's. I wasn't completely disappointed, but on balance, unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the positives. I reserved several rooms at the Astor for a family wedding this past weekend. Of the 6 rooms (all in the same price range), 3 were in good shape, three were not - cold, dark and dingy, with peeling wallpaper. Housekeeping for rooms reserved for multiple nights seemed to occur at pretty random times. Although I paid for parking, once I left I was unable to re-enter the lot, and ended up parking blocks away. I informed the employee at the front desk, who took my swipe card, went to his own keypad, swiped, punched in several numbers, and declared there was nothing wrong with the card, when clearly there was or he would not have had to key in a new code. And there was no apology for the inconvenience. Two days after our stay, I checked my credit card to discover I was billed almost $300 for a room reserved by my niece, not me. Although they had taken her credit card and ID upon check-in, when I called to inquire about the error I was informed they had no record of that information, nor did they have any way to contact her. Clearly the onus was on me to take care of their error. When I offered to contact her and have her call the hotel, the reply I got was, "yeah, that'd be good". Again, no "we're sorry", "we apologize for the inconvenience" - nothing. This once grand hotel has a lot of potential, but clearly, from the physical presence to customer service, a lot of work needs to be done.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!