“Bait and switch” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Bait and switch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We choose the Astor because we love historic places in general. Looking at the pictures on there website gave the impression of bright clean rooms. What we found was a dark room with obviously great old details remaining. Some of the furniture needed repair, air conditioner sounded as if it was on its last blast of cool air and the windows did not open thus a stuffy room..

Perhaps one day some simple historic work will be accomplished.

It's located in an ideal location for viewing the city by foot. Enjoyed staying in the city but will consider trying a different hotel in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last evening. The Astor is a very charming and comfortable old hotel. We had a corner room on the 8th floor, with great views West and North. It was clean and comfortable, with flat screen TV, and free WiFi. Overall, the furnishings (furniture, carpets, paint job, etc.) in the Astor did seem a bit "dated" to us, but that is also part of its charm and attraction. Would we come back to the Astor? Yes, definitely! We visit Milwaukee frequently, and It was such a refreshing change from the "sterile" environments of the downtown hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Park, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Astor Hotel is a charming, vintage hotel in a great neighborhood. While it could use a lick of paint, it's clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room had a new flat-screen TV with Dish.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I love old hotels, and make an effort to stay in them whenever we have the opportunity. We went with another couple for a quick overnight in Milwaukee to see a band and were looking for an affordable place to stay in a walkable neighborhood. Unfortunately, we were sorely disappointed by the Astor.

The lobby is tired, so tired that it's hard to tell if it's even clean. The air feels stale and the lobby had to be at least 85 degrees when we were there. We checked in, and we went to our 9th floor room. Our friends joked that we got the "penthouse" while they were on lowly floor 7. In the end, it seems we had the shorter end of the stick.

Our room was very, very old. Between the excessively worn carpet, the cable line running through a hole in the window sill, and a bathroom that looked like it could have been in my 1950s-era dorm, it was hard to even appreciate the clean sheets on the bed. All of this may have been tolerable, had the room not been at least 85 degrees - without any temperature control that we could find.

It was so warm and uncomfortable, we tried (unsuccessfully) to open the windows, and even tried propping open our door. (No luck - the hallway was just as warm.) We had returned from the concert very late - about 2:30 a.m., so it didn't seem worth it to try to switch rooms. I woke up at 6:00 (no small feat given how late we were up and how much I had had to drink the night before) so I could bolt from the room to find some cool relief. We donned our coats and waited in front of the hotel for an hour until our friends woke up to join us.

Our friends summed up their experience as "old world charm without the old", but their room had been refurbished, they had an a/c unit to fight the temperature, and they could open their windows. Our night was unforgettably uncomfortable so maybe you could avoid our fate by asking for a room that has been updated?

Also, while finishing a cocktail in the hotel lobby at about 2:30 a.m., we met one of the residents of the Astor. Besides hotel room, the Astor has extended-stay and permanent residence. He was at least 70-80 years old, and I wondered if he was representative of the older residents. That may help explain the excessively warm, fuggy internal climate of the Astor?

Room Tip: Ask about a room that has been updated and has temperature control!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here the last week of August. I agree with bits and pieces of all prior comments. The carpeting is dirty and so are the hallway walls, but the beds and bathroom is clean. Yes, the air conditioner is a wall unit, but it kept the room cool. The closet didn't have a door. Our room had a 32" flat screen TV with great reception. The neighborhood was safe. There weren't a lot of restaurants in the area, but there was a Subway and a nice Greek restaurant. You rack this up to you get what you pay for. If you want luxury, don't stay here. If you want a clean bed, then don't hesitate to stay her.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I booked two rooms on a busy weekend. When we got there we had our two rooms but found out they were overbooked. We had our rooms but many others were angry in the lobby. They did try to help the others by putting our party in a different room that would accomidate all 4 of us so that they could have an extra room to give to somebody else.

The location wasn't the greatest but the hotel is downtown and they do offer a free shuttle any time, till I think 11 or midnight, you just have to let them know when. The driver was really nice and informative.

The rooms are old looking as you would suspect since it is an old hotel. They haven't been updated. The bed was comfortable enough. We only spent a few hours in the room so I can't say much about it.
The parking lot in the back did fill up forcing others in our party to use the valet.

If I found a good deal I would stay here again. It is nothing more than average and a place to sleep so that you are not stuck out on the streets.
Next time though I will probably just chance it and book on hotwire to get a good rate and see where I end up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sevierville, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure if the Astor that owned this was on the Titanic-his riches to upkeep this hotel went with him. I mean this place is truly disgusting!!! Nastiest place I've ever stayed in my life!! An trust me I'm not picky. I just want a clean place to stay. These reviews that say this is a nice hotel must be paid to say that. No dresser for clothes an the carpet is so nasty-I wouldn't dare take my shoes off in the room!! They have a wall unit for an air conditioner that is in place with boards an duct tape. I'm pretty sure that's a fire hazard. My bathroom had ants crawling in it! The ONLY reason I stayed here was because it was a paid for room by the company I work for. The hotel is very creepy with long, weird hallways an I'm sure they haven't seen a cleaning product in over 50 years!!! It's like the Bates hotel! You can hear everything going on outside your room because the walls are so thin. Seriously do yourself a favor an pay the extra money an stay somewhere else. The only thing nice about this rat hole was the roof top deck. I wanted to sleep out there because it was cleaner than my room. The bed was like sleeping on the floor. Can't wait to leave this disgusting place so I can home an shower an sterilize my clothes-not joking!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!