“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee
MI
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here the last week of August. I agree with bits and pieces of all prior comments. The carpeting is dirty and so are the hallway walls, but the beds and bathroom is clean. Yes, the air conditioner is a wall unit, but it kept the room cool. The closet didn't have a door. Our room had a 32" flat screen TV with great reception. The neighborhood was safe. There weren't a lot of restaurants in the area, but there was a Subway and a nice Greek restaurant. You rack this up to you get what you pay for. If you want luxury, don't stay here. If you want a clean bed, then don't hesitate to stay her.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I booked two rooms on a busy weekend. When we got there we had our two rooms but found out they were overbooked. We had our rooms but many others were angry in the lobby. They did try to help the others by putting our party in a different room that would accomidate all 4 of us so that they could have an extra room to give to somebody else.

The location wasn't the greatest but the hotel is downtown and they do offer a free shuttle any time, till I think 11 or midnight, you just have to let them know when. The driver was really nice and informative.

The rooms are old looking as you would suspect since it is an old hotel. They haven't been updated. The bed was comfortable enough. We only spent a few hours in the room so I can't say much about it.
The parking lot in the back did fill up forcing others in our party to use the valet.

If I found a good deal I would stay here again. It is nothing more than average and a place to sleep so that you are not stuck out on the streets.
Next time though I will probably just chance it and book on hotwire to get a good rate and see where I end up.

Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure if the Astor that owned this was on the Titanic-his riches to upkeep this hotel went with him. I mean this place is truly disgusting!!! Nastiest place I've ever stayed in my life!! An trust me I'm not picky. I just want a clean place to stay. These reviews that say this is a nice hotel must be paid to say that. No dresser for clothes an the carpet is so nasty-I wouldn't dare take my shoes off in the room!! They have a wall unit for an air conditioner that is in place with boards an duct tape. I'm pretty sure that's a fire hazard. My bathroom had ants crawling in it! The ONLY reason I stayed here was because it was a paid for room by the company I work for. The hotel is very creepy with long, weird hallways an I'm sure they haven't seen a cleaning product in over 50 years!!! It's like the Bates hotel! You can hear everything going on outside your room because the walls are so thin. Seriously do yourself a favor an pay the extra money an stay somewhere else. The only thing nice about this rat hole was the roof top deck. I wanted to sleep out there because it was cleaner than my room. The bed was like sleeping on the floor. Can't wait to leave this disgusting place so I can home an shower an sterilize my clothes-not joking!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sherman, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.We booked it on Hotwire. It is an old hotel that was built in the 1920's. It was probably a 5 star hotel in the 20's, just not now. If they would go in and update the rooms, it could be again. As a matter of fact, it dropped a star on Hotwire the week before we stayed there. ( I was not happy about this!)

Our room was on the 6th floor and faced the back, parking lot side of the hotel. The air conditioning was a window unit a/c with plywood and 2x4's around it. Glad we were on a higher floor!! We had to use the clothes hangers to hang and fold up the curtains, otherwise they would have either had to have stayed opened or they would have hung in front of the a/c unit!

The rooms were very large in comparison to other hotels that we have stayed in. They are just old, since the hotel is almost 100 years old!! The room and fixtures and the bathroom were clean, just old and in desperate need of some repairs and updates. If they could scrape off 100 years of paint and do a few updates in the bathrooms and add a little more storage for luggage and clothing, this could be at least a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 star hotel! It really has potential, due to all of the "character"!

I can honestly say that I have stayed in FAR, FAR worse hotels!! This hotel room was clean and our room was made up and cleaned every day.

The location of this hotel is good, as it is in the city!

When we booked, we were told that the parking was free, however when we got to the hotel we were told that parking was $7 per day, since we were guests of the hotel. The parking lot was horrible and it was a miracle that our car was not hit or damaged, as the parking spaces are too close together and the parking lot isles are very close together. We opted for parking next to the trash cans, since that area is bigger, due to having to get the trash trucks in and out!! The parking lot was also full of potholes and bumps and just plain unlevel terrain!!!

Over all, if I had to, I would stay at this hotel again, but I would have to get the room for less than $70 per night! I would not pay any more than that!

The customer service from the desk employees!!! That was actually the worse part of our stay, and it was not just us that experienced it! They seemed to treat everyone with the same sour attitude. I'm sure that they get all kinds of complaints about the hotel, due to age and stuff, but the attitudes of the people working there could greatly improve the atmosphere!! They seemed like we were putting them out by simply checking in and out of the hotel! They seemed like we were wasting their time, each time we asked a question or requested anything! No smiles, no "Thank you's", nothing but looks and "huffs" from the employees each time you approached the desk, if you were lucky enough to find someone to wait on you at the counter!

And the Aveda products stink...They did nothing to improve my stay. I actually tossed out the lotion because it smelled so bad.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room for the views of the city! And park next to the trash cans!
Menominee, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the astor for 2 nights, It is definitely not a modern looking hotel, but has character. The parking is less expensive for any hotel downtown, $7 for the lot behind the hotel or $12 for valet. They do offer a free shuttle to downtown and they will take you wherever you would like to go. They also have a continental breakfast, which is very convenient. We stayed in a king room, that was remodeled. It had a flat screen tv, desk. The shower had really good water pressure. The room was a little small and there are no dressers, but otherwise it served its purpose. We got dropped off on Brady st, but walked back since it was not far. Also around the corner from the Astor is the County Clare, an irish pub. They have about 20 beers on tap and they serve it in the correct glass for each beer. They also serve authentic Irish food, hubby had the shepherds pie and it was realy good. We would probably stay at the astor again since it is a good deal.

Drexel Hill, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Astor Hotel in Milwaukee. The hotel is conveniently placed to most touristy areas in Milwaukee, including the downtown, river and lake areas. The hotel is also about a 20-minute walk to historic Brady Street, where there are several quirky restaurants from which to choose.

The hotel itself was built in 1920, and appears to have had some difficulty keeping up with the times. That being said, the hotel is a tremendous lesson in architecture from pre-war 20th century.

The lobby of the hotel is outstanding, featuring a beautiful stained glass sun-lit ceiling and a beautiful reading room which featured leather reclining chairs and many books from which to choose.

As we figured out later, one reason for the excellent reading/meeting room was that the bedroom itself was rather spartan, a throw-back to the Arts & Crafts era of design. The hallway was devoid of sound-absorbing noise material outside of some carpet. As a result, noises that make themselves into the hallway tend to penetrate the remaining rooms on the floor.

As to the room itself, as mentioned, it is spartan. Our room had but one (uncomfortable) desk chair, and the desk was rather small. The bed was a queen and was comfortable, as were the pillows. The air conditioning looked to be jerry-rigged into the only window in the bedroom. Of course it makes sense that a hotel built in the 1920's needed to install window units to provide air conditioning to their guests today. Still, it looked like unpainted plywood and paper/towels? were used to hold the unit in place.

As to the bathroom, most of the original fixtures and some of the original tile were still in place and appeared to be well maintained. For fans of the era, this is a tremendous find. The original handles and knobs were a treat to see. The shower gets a full 3-stars out of 3 (temperature, pressure, drainage). The towels were adequate.

The TV was a flat-screen and picked up many satellite channels. I believe that internet service cost extra, but I got around that by using my cell phone. On-site parking is a reasonable $7/day, and you can enter and leave the parking as often as you'd like for the one price.

Continental breakfast is included, and served in a breakfast room off of the lobby. The breakfast is nothing special, but better than nothing.

Overall, for those that are looking for more modern conveniences and creature comforts, this hotel is definitely not for you. If you're interested in a reasonably-priced hotel in a good section of Milwaukee, and if you are a fan of early 20th-century architecture and design (or, if spartan rooms are not important to you), you should consider the Astor.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed at the Astor for two nights for my brother's wedding. They did not have the suite that we reserved, so luckily, they upgraded us...to an apartment! Pretty nice! Everything was clean in the room but a new coat of paint would have done wonders. Breakfast was tasty, though it was an HOUR late in being ready, by which point, the crowd of wedding-brunch-eaters was pretty huge. So by the time I got there, they were out of fruit completely. The floor in the lobby was extremely dirty. It didn't look dirty, but when our daughter was crawling around, she ended up with black knees and feet! So the carpet definitely needs a shampooing. But overall, everything was very nice. But nothing out of this world. I can't comment on price because my fantastic parents picked up the bill. The staff was friendly and it is definitely a great location!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Astor Hotel? Share your experiences!