“Consistently good.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Wisconsin
“Consistently good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We have been to Abuelos a number of times. Chips and salsa are very good. Can get refills. Food is consistently good each time I've been there and moderately priced.

• Visited September 2011

Chicago, Illinois
“Just don't go there - make a run for the border”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I lost an argument with my colleagues about going to Abuelo’s for dinner. I’d gone to an Abuelo’s in Cleveland that was so bad that I vowed never to go or let friend go (or even let an enemy go– it’s that bad) to any Abuelo’s anywhere in the US. After dinner we all agreed that I was right.

Bad service. We had about a dozen people for dinner – completely random with delivering the orders. Some early, some late, completely missed a couple and rarely to the person that ordered it. Hey, we’re going to drop $400 for dinner and drinks tonight, could we get a refill on the salsa, pretty please?

Bad atmosphere. Abuelo’s found the perfect combination of uncomfortable chairs and a big cavernous space that reflects noise. I’m glad the restarant was nearly empty, because it would be hard to have conversations if it were full.

Bad food – I have had worse Mexican food – at the Abuelo’s in Cleveland…and at Taco Bell. But Taco Bell is so bad it’s good (and cheap). Abuelo’s is so bad it’s bad.
OK drinks – well there is an upside. I used to think that a Margarita was the solution to most of life’s problems…I still think it is, but instead of going to Abuelo’s, buy a blender, ask Jose Cuervo to bring some limes and ice and make a run for the border

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin
“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I went to lunch at Abuelos with a few coworkers for lunch. The restaurant is bright, clean, and comfortable. The service was prompt and very friendly.

The food was better than average for Americanized Mexican and the prices were fair. I will probably come back for lunch or with my husband.

• Visited June 2011
Wisconsin
“Enjoyable dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

My husband has been in town for business for a while, so I decided to drive up and join him for the weekend. I've wanted to try Abuelos for a while now, so we headed there on Friday night.

We enjoyed the decor, but found the food to be even better. We felt the chips/salsa were average to above average. They also brought a small amount of a hot salsa, which was exceptionally tastey. It wasn't too hot, it still had a good flavor.

Not on purpose, but my husband and I basically ordered the same entree. We each had a shredded beef burrito. What we noticed right away is that it had huge flavor! I'll be honest, as much Mexican as we eat (and we frequent Mexico serveral times a year for vacation), we prefer Tex Mex simply because it has more zip. The meet was very flavorable and we both cleaned our plates.

If that wasn't enough, the waitress brought over the tray of deserts and my husband was sucked in by the caramel cheese cake. Yes, I had to help him eat it (isn't that part of my wifely duties? LOL), and it was quite yummy.

We would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to our other Mexican food lovers, and we will surely return on another visit in the near future.

• Visited May 2011
St. Louis, MO
“Edible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Our lunch at Abuela's was edible. I can't say anything good about it but I was able to eat it. The presentation was fine and the service was very good, but the margaritas and the food were very bland. There are other Mexican places in Middleton, so we probably won't go back again.

• Visited February 2011