“Nice weekend getaway but exorbitant pet fee” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
“Nice weekend getaway but exorbitant pet fee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite with our daughter and small dog. Plenty of room, useful kitchen and good breakfast. Only complaint is the $75 "pet sanitation" fee we had to pay for the dog. $75? Seriously? I dare anyone on the staff to say we actually had had a dog in the room with us. The next time, the dog stays home...or we stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The staff at this hotel are exceptional. Everyone that we encountered was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also good with a variety of items including waffles and granola/yogurt parfaits.

The hotel is located in a quiet area near Greenway Station shopping center. Shops, dining and Starbucks are within walking distance.

Spent two nights in a one bedroom suite. The room was spacious and bright. The kitchenette was handy, although there was only one small garbage can in the entire suite. Inconvenient when needing to throw out trash in the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.

The bathroom area was spacious and was able to be closed off from the living room and bedroom. The sink and vanity is separate from the toilet and shower. There were also several mirrors, both angled and full length which was great for getting dressed up.

The bedroom was roomy with plenty of storage and closet space. We couldnt find the luggage rack but discovered it under the bed as we were packing up to leave.

The bed was basic and not comfortable. Thin scratchy sheets, thin blankets and tiny pillows.

Sofa sleeper in living room was worn and my 7 yr old said "it sunk in and the bar hurt my back".

Now for the physical environnent problems.......The hallways of the hotel had an unusual odor. Smelled dank and like a dirty litter box. I suspect there are ventilation problems in the halls and common areas.

The climate control in our room was very problematic. The bedroom got icey cold while the living room was warm and stuffy. The vent in the bedroom is situated near the ceiling so the cold air blew down on us as we laid in bed. There was also a black substance on the wall around the vent. Not sure if it was dirt/dust or mildew.

The air conditioner/furnace unit in the vanity area was very loud as was the fan/light unit in the bathroom.

Although the service was great and hotel was clean; the mal odors, umcomfortable bed and climate control problems made this stay a poor value for what we paid. We would likely not return.

• Stayed August 2012
cduhr, General Manager at Residence Inn Madison West/Middleton, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for making the effort to share your comments with us while you were a guest with us at the Residence Inn Madison West/Middleton.

We want our guest to have the best stay possible where everything meets or exceeds their expectations. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and that our staff was able to take care of your needs while staying with us. As for the comments regarding our building and some of the challenges that you experienced during your two night stay, I understand and apologize for these circumstances. However, I am glad to share with you that our hotel is currently scheduled to start a full renovation within the next few months which will take care of the physical condition of the building and our guest rooms.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us and we truly look forward to being your hosts again in the future.

Coni Duhr
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Recently stayed at four nights at this hotel and I thought it was wonderful. I thought the staff was extremely nice and that's saying a lot since I am from the staff. The staffed helped me find various things around town, pointed out a few good restaurants, arranged for the hotel shuttle to take me to a few of those restaurants and arranged for my taxi back to the airport. I also used the gym in the mornings before my meetings and thought it was adequate...very small and it got really hot, there are 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and a stationary bike. My room was very clean...the hotel was very clean. I wasn't a fan of the beds, but I sleep on a tempurpedic at home, so that happens anytime I stay in a hotel. I have to agree that the location was perfect. I walk to the outdoor mall which has your normal run-of-the-mill stores and plenty of dining options.

Another thing, the hotel has breakfast and dinner included in your stay. I thought this was a nice touch. LOL, they also have a pitcher of Miller Lite that they keep full for a few hours and I saw plenty of people from my meeting enjoying this little feature.

I would definitely stay here again...in fact I am staying there again In October. :-)

Room Tip: if you go to bed early...ask for a room far away from the basketball court.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Wimberley, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Staff was lukewarm, but the facility was excellent. We slept very well here, even with light sleepers amongst us. There is a walking/run/bike path which passes in front of the hotel and was handy. The train passes near the hotel, but at low speed and wasn't bothersome. Breakfast and pool were very good. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby if that's your thing.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by stairwell's slamming doors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We only stayed one night, but this hotel would be great for someone staying longer or with a family. Very clean, comfortable bed, large rooms, full kitchen. We had a decent price since we were there on a Saturday night. Walking distance to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed 2 nites in Aug 2012 and it was GREAT.. The staff was so friendly "Beckey" front desk could not have been any nicer. Wonderful employee.... We would go back in a heart beat..The breakfast was very filling. Thanks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
League City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Residence Inn for five nights in late July. It was unusually hot while we were there. Having read some of the comments posted about problems with the air conditioning system turning itself off at night, I called several days before we were scheduled to arrive to inquire about that problem. And, I was assured by a gentleman who was working the front desk at that time that they were aware of the problem and it could be solved by setting the A/C control to "on." That seemed strange to me since normally that controller is only for fan operation.

When we arrived, I inquired about the problem to the young lady working the front desk. She seemed noticeably uncomfortable, and her response was awkward, somewhere between denying any knowledge of the problem and not wanting to have to provide an answer. She offered to have the maintenance man come to our room and give us instructions on how to work the temperature controls.

The maintenance man did come to our room, pointed out there is an instruction card on the desk for how to "bypass" the motion sensor on the temperature controller. He also said to set the control from Auto to On (which was not mentioned on the instruction card).

While we were there, after repeated attempts to follow the instructions given by the instruction card and the maintenance man, we were awakened in three of the five nights by the A/C unit having turned itself off (presumably because of no motion being picked up by the motion sensor; a.k.a. we were asleep) and the temperature in the room rising enough to make it uncomfortable enough for us to be awakened.

My wife is a Marriott Gold Rewards member. But, if we find that this problem is widespread in new Residence Inns, we will find other places to stay.

Other than the temperature control issue, which we feel is bizarre and very short-sighted of Marriott, the stay was good. Our studio suite was clean, comfortable and well-maintained. The bed and linens were top quality and were very comfortable.

The staff members were courteous and did their best, considering they were probably getting routine complaints about the motion-sensing temperature control problems, a situation in which they had no responsibility and over which they had little if any control.

The location is excellent, we thought.

Without the temperature control problems, my rating would have been 4/5.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Madison West/Middleton? Share your experiences!