“Long-term satisfied patron” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Hunan, Szechuan
Madison, Wisconsin
“Long-term satisfied patron”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I've been eating here monthly for years and have always been warmly greeted by Tom or his wife, who quickly prepare food for carry-out. (There are only two tables in this small restaurant, so there's not much dining atmosphere.) The food is tasty, the portions are generous, and the prices are reasonable. Here's hoping that the Red Pepper remains open for business for years to come.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Wisconsin
“Substandard Chinese Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

For fans of Chinese food in Middleton, the go-to place is Imperial Garden. Feeling a little adventurous, I've been seeking out a new place for Chinese. I stopped by Tom's Red Pepper on a Friday night at dinner time for take-out. They weren't busy at all but the place seemed alright, so I asked the woman at the counter what some popular chicken dishes were. She said it depended on what I liked. I said I liked delicious and flavorful. She pretty much seemed bothered with my questions and read to me all the chicken items in order off the menu. I chose Garlic Chicken because she said it had lots of vegetables in it. I also ordered an egg roll which she said was the thin, crispy wrapper type. Upon arriving home, I opened up the egg roll, which I immediately thought had gotten wet because it appeared so. It was actually just the grease-soaked sheen from being cooked badly. Inside was not much more than soggy cabbage. Probably the least impressive egg roll I've ever had. You can find better in any food court. On to the Garlic Chicken. The "lots of vegetables" in this dish was a flavorless melange of mostly celery, a few carrots, some green pepper pieces, onions, and some water chestnuts. The sauce was not delicious at all. I love garlic, but I didn't really detect garlic flavor. The dish reminded me of something you might get in a school lunchroom on Chinese day. Or perhaps something you'd have a hospital cafeteria. Really substandard for a restaurant. I can say these things with a clear conscience because I really gave the owner a chance to recommend something, and she could have steered me towards something good. She and the chef failed. Not recommended.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rio, Wisconsin
“I have been going there for years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I love the Red pepper! Their food is excellent and they are super friendly, They know me and she asks me if I want the usual too funny! I highly recommend the hunan beef.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Schaumburg, Illinois
“Really big servings & in general good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

5 of us ordered carryout a variety of dishes with varying results. We really liked the crab Rangoon, egg rolls ok, Marco Polo good, Mongolian not so much, didn't really like the steak, curry chicken good, sweet and sour not the best, and beef fried rice ok. Overall decent maybe a bit $$$$

Visited May 2013
Wisconsin
“Best Asian Cuisine Ever. Absolutely Must Try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have been going to Toms Red Pepper when it was still on Stoughton Rd at East Washington. Tom retired for a couple years but is now in a small strip mall next to Nitty Gritty on the west side.

The cuisine here is insanely good. The sauces are spectacular. Huge portions. Tom can make any dish as mild or spicy as you want it. Spectacular soups, egg rolls and his crab rangoons are a must try.

This new location only has two small tables with an emphasis on take out but I still recommend eating it there.

Tom and his wife Tso are two genuinely nice people who always have a big smile and warm greeting for their customers. Even if they didn't have the warmest attitude, their food would still bring me back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere