“Given several chances. Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Given several chances. Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted this place to be good because it is near my house and I like food fight restaurants overall. But I have had overcooked food on several visits, and I mean WAY overcooked. The beef stew canes with three pieces of well well done stew meat placed on top of a gelatinous mass. I can't believe they served it. Another time they gave me a totally well done (nothing pink anywhere) dry, tough bugler. The staff comped that one which was nice- but how could they even serve it? The beer selection has got better lately but still could be better. Very underwhelmed. Fire the cook.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Madison, Wisconsin
“Ticket to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Best & most delicate, tender and delicious deep fried cheese curds EVER! The french fries are highly addictive. Great fish too. Now i would never recommend the pretzels - holy smokes, unbelievable to be served 2 little HOCKEY PUCK texture pretzels. Seriously, the were so tough, unable to chew. We love peasant bread, these were way overdone & downright inedible. Even the thick store bought pretzels are at least edible. The mustard they served with them was good. Beer cheese sauce gets a NO, sandy texture. How that happens to a beer cheese sauce is beyond me. TGIF's & Applebee's has such awesome pretzels, no sandy texture to their dipping sauce. What a disappointment to an otherwise delicious food & drink experience, waste of $5.00 too.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Middleton
“Wonderful neighborhood family tavern”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is one of our favorite dining experiences in the Madison, Wisconsin area. It has a distinctly neighborhood/English pub feel. The food is superb. Had about the best burger in recent memory last night, and Rachel, our waitperson, was exceptional.

Lots of beers to sample, and they keep changing. Plenty of big screen tv's for us sports lovers. In the warm months, I love to sit outside on the patio and will try the roof spot next year.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin
“Wonderful service, exceptional appetizer, so-so dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I met friends for dinner at Craftsman. I am not a drinker, but I did have a drink called The Orchard. It was wonderful--fruity and very tasty. My appetizer, the Mediterranean Plate with hummus, pita bread, pickled onions, olives, feta cheese and cucumbers was HUGE! And the hummus was the best that I've ever tasted! It didn't take long for the four of us to devour it all. For dinner, I ordered the Mushroom and Beef stew. I have to say that I was disappointed by it. It had a bit of a hardened crust on it like it had been sitting under the warming lights far too long. I did not enjoy the taste, either. It sounded great on the menu, but I felt like we got the dregs of the stew pot. Our server was beyond patient with us as we chatted and spent a great deal of time in her section (we tip well). I plan to return again, if only to have that phenomenal appetizer platter one more time!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Best cheese curds in Wisconsin!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We frequent this neighborhood restaurant for the amazing cheese curds. You must order them. They are fresh, homemade and with a delicious ranch on the side. Every meal we have ordered has been delicious, with the exception of the soup selections which have been a little disappointing. Service is great and sit outside if you can!

• Visited September 2012